Register to Comment
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    a bit of nostalgia like Dallas perhaps keeps it going. A lot of people remember it from Sat night when dances were banned by the RC church, people polished the boots for Sunday mass,and the kids kept quiet.
    I don't recall any dances banned by the RCC. If anything, dances were a major earner for the Church in rural areas.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    I don't recall any dances banned by the RCC. If anything, dances were a major earner for the Church in rural areas.
    Sat night dancing was not allowed. Sunday night was ok and if you did not turn out for work on Monday morning, well that was ok so long long as you got mass on Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    In your opinion.....
    Absolutely. And where did I suggest otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Absolutely. And where did I suggest otherwise?
    Ah no it's just that we get that alot around here, people mistaking their opinions as fact. It's handy now and again to point it out from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by This Country View Post
    That's precisely what's good about Katie Taylor - she doesn't pander to the audience. She stays true to her convictions, and does so in a polite and respectful way.
    Katie Taylor is starting to bore people, she’s not that terribly interesting to begin with and lets face it female boxing is just a fad. I for one would be outraged if I had a daughter who even contemplated it.

Some people do not understand limbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    tubbs set the bar very low
    and
    failed to get over it

Poor fare for the first night.

After the boxers were over it just disintegrated into a c list horror show.

Tubs seems to have lost his passion for it and was just killing a few hours.

Might b time to call it a day for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by carlovian View Post
    Poor fare for the first night.

After the boxers were over it just disintegrated into a c list horror show.

Tubs seems to have lost his passion for it and was just killing a few hours.

Might b time to call it a day for the show.
    It still has the potential to be a good show, a mix of light entertainment and chat, but the LLS is at it's best when it deals with a topic of social, political or cultural interest. Get some good guests on, a difference of opinion, let the audience in and away you go, on past the finish time if the passion is up, it is one of the few live shows left on telly where anything could potentially happen, the secret is to know when to let it run. Gaybo, for all his faults, was a genius at this, he could pull an audience into a very serious, sometimes desperately emotional conversation, engage the guests and the people at home and let it progress, it was quite common, in his day, for the show to stretch well into a third hour. Tubridy is a trained presenter, I doubt Gay Byrne ever had any training, and his training tells him to control the guests, control the conversation, control the show at all costs. You can almost sense the panic and fear when anyone does anything beyond the scripted questions, the show is definitely losing it's magic. Pity Gerry Ryan is dead, I think he would have been ideal, maybe Graham Norton could do something with it, but with sheffif woody in charge it is struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by ffc View Post
    It still has the potential to be a good show, a mix of light entertainment and chat, but the LLS is at it's best when it deals with a topic of social, political or cultural interest. Get some good guests on, a difference of opinion, let the audience in and away you go, on past the finish time if the passion is up, it is one of the few live shows left on telly where anything could potentially happen, the secret is to know when to let it run. Gaybo, for all his faults, was a genius at this, he could pull an audience into a very serious, sometimes desperately emotional conversation, engage the guests and the people at home and let it progress, it was quite common, in his day, for the show to stretch well into a third hour. Tubridy is a trained presenter, I doubt Gay Byrne ever had any training, and his training tells him to control the guests, control the conversation, control the show at all costs. You can almost sense the panic and fear when anyone does anything beyond the scripted questions, the show is definitely losing it's magic. Pity Gerry Ryan is dead, I think he would have been ideal, maybe Graham Norton could do something with it, but with sheffif woody in charge it is struggling.
    I agree totally.

They never seem to have an audience participation debate the way they used to and tubridy just doesn't seem
    That bothered at all.

Not sure bout Gerry Ryan though, never rated him on tv at all.

Quote Originally Posted by carlovian View Post
    I agree totally.

They never seem to have an audience participation debate the way they used to and tubridy just doesn't seem
    That bothered at all.

Not sure bout Gerry Ryan though, never rated him on tv at all.
    Agree with you re Gerry Ryan.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment