Register to Comment
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

I suppose it will cost a quid a call or a text to vote in this escapade---I,for one,will not be contributing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Went to school with a lad who could have painted that in second class

I could have painted it in first class but I'm not such a snob, neither would I waste the money on a ticket to prove

how stupid I would appear to those around me with more sense and probably more savings as well!!
    Last edited by Dorris; 16th April 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: To finish the piece on return of journey!!

I really like this one - it's The Opening Of The Sixth Seal by Francis Danby which is in the National Gallery on Merrion Square in Dublin. It's based on the passage from Revelations that runs;

'And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?'

And I think he did a fair job of illustrating that - it's a big painting and very punchy with the reds and blacks. Danby did a few disaster paintings including this, storms and shipwrecks and I think he's really good at capturing the immensity of nature and rendering that in relation to man.

It's a pity it didn't make the shortlist - I think Danby is a wonderful painter and quite unknown among the general population.

The Deluge - also by Francis Danby.
    Last edited by Humbert; 16th April 2012 at 01:05 AM.

Sensational stuff. Ireland's John Martin. These kind of Paintings are to the Victorian age what films like "Knowing","The Day after Tomorrow" and "2012" are to the present age.

Twitter
    @

Robert Ballagh on whining with PK now re this 'competition'

Bobby whining about insiders in the Art world 'controlling' the 'competition' (I take it Bobby isn't in the final running, ergo...)

Ballagh must miss the days when corrupt CJH was his patron with our taxes....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maker View Post
    Robert Ballagh on whining with PK now re this 'competition'
    He's saying it is really more of "the critics choice" than "the people's choice", since the shortlist was chosen by RTE-picked "experts".

The people, it seems, couldn't be trusted to pick from the long list.

Fair point, it seems.

Listening to Kenny--interesting to listen to the tiptoeing through the tulips discussion

The Card Builders - Walter Osbourne

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maker View Post
    Ballagh must miss the days when corrupt CJH was his patron with our taxes....

Bobby Ballagh and his love of the 'glory Days'

You obviously have an issue with Robert Ballagh, and what looks to me like quite a critical painting of Haughey and his attempts at building a personality cult within Fianna Fail.

Nothing really to do with this discussion though, is it?

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment