Register to Comment
Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

RTE not fair and balanced- Leo Varadkar claims liberal bias

just heard our minster for colouring things green on paddys day on the news at one bemoaning rte's liberal bias. reminded me a bit of the fox news attack on the muppet movie but then again it was straight out of the rush limbaugh play book. I suspect Leo is playing to the Sindo gallery or just upset he did not get to play media god in this administration- any other ideas on what he is at?
    Last edited by mido; 12th March 2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I just heard part of it, but was I hearing things when he said there was "only one representative from the government and three from the other parties" on a recent program????

Does he want 3 FG reps and 1 from the other parties????

He couldn't wait to stick the knife in. He has had to answer some uncomfortable questions over the past year. Payback.

what else is happening today? - is there some bad news to be buried somewhere?

As regards gov Tds being outnumbered and all that malarky - nonsense - is probably more to the fact that the Gov persists in sending unbriefed and illerate backbenchers out to do the job of ministers in the media - with the obvious results.

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    just heard our minster for colouring things green on paddys day on the news at one bemoaning rte's liberal bias. reminded me a bit of the fox news attack on the muppet movie but then again it was straight out of the rush laughing play book. I suspect Leo is playing to the Sindo gallery or just upset he did not get to play media god in this administartion- any other ideas on what he is at?
    He must have been drinking with Eoghan Harris the weekend surprised he did'nt mention RTEs moral compass.

There definitely is a bias in RTE. It isn't necessarily a left wing / right wing / conservative / liberal bias. What it is is a consistent failure on the part of many presenters to leave personal opinions at the studio door and fulfil their remit at public service broadcasters. That leads to different problems with different presenters depending on your perspective. What is most notable is that with most of the current affairs programmes they function much better over the holidays when the big personalities are on holidays and replaced by somebody just doing their job. I thought the defensive nature of the interviewer on the News at One was particularly telling.

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    I just heard part of it, but was I hearing things when he said there was "only one representative from the government and three from the other parties" on a recent program????

Does he want 3 FG reps and 1 from the other parties????
    he is spot on

Frontline last Monday had only 1 govt rep but 3 opp tds

I have a bee in my bonnet about people on this side of the pond using the word 'liberal' to mean left wing. That's an American corruption of the word. I don't know for sure if that's what Varadkar was doing in this instance, but it's hard to see what else he meant

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    There definitely is a bias in RTE. It isn't necessarily a left wing / right wing / conservative / liberal bias. What it is is a consistent failure on the part of many presenters to leave personal opinions at the studio door and fulfil their remit at public service broadcasters.
    There clearly is a pro-Democratic bias in their coverage of US politics. That this bias corresponds to the prejudices of probably 70-80% of the Irish population (myself included) doesn't make it any more justified.

What is most notable is that with most of the current affairs programmes they function much better over the holidays when the big personalities are on holidays and replaced by somebody just doing their job. I thought the defensive nature of the interviewer on the News at One was particularly telling.
    I thought Roisin Duffy (for it was she) did poorly this afternoon, and her interview with Varadkar was particularly badly handled

Leo Varadkar probably thinks Newstalk should be the national broadcaster.

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment