Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Guardian editorial praises Jedward, insults the rest of us

It would appear that the sandal wearers have overdosed on the sherry trifle this evening. How else to explain this bizarre editorial, titled "In praise of Jedward".

While the rest of Ireland is collectively bent over all bowed and cowed due to the seemingly never-ending recession, at least Jedward are still keeping their heads and their hair high. The twins from west Dublin have become the Republic's court jesters, cheering their nation up with their hyperactive on-screen antics and unflappable optimism.
    Hmmm, well, ok. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt so far.

But it gets kind of offensive towards the end:

Given the (apparent) largesse of the German taxpayer to the Irish in terms of the financial bailout, perhaps it's the least Ireland can do, to send two of its most famous sons to the Federal Republic to say thank you to the kind citizens of Stuttgart, Munich and Berlin for all those euros being repatriated to Dublin, Cork and Galway.
    Eh...um...I don't know what to say really. Is this some sort of London media-whore irony that I'm missing?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/dec/27/in-praise-of-jedward-editorial?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&ut m_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fcommentisfree%2Fr ss+(Comment+is+free)

EDIT: I see that the darknight got in ahead of me. But I'd ask the mods to think twice before merging this thread, because Im more interested in what the Guardian says about the 'bailout' than I am in their praise for Jedward.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

If you read the Guardian, you'll get crap I'm afraid. They are a massively inconsistent paper anyway, I've always found them hypocrites. They certainly don't represent mainstream British opinion, or even that of British liberals in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    It would appear that the sandal wearers have overdosed on the sherry trifle this evening. How else to explain this bizarre editorial, titled "In praise of Jedward".

Hmmm, well, ok. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt so far.

But it gets kind of offensive towards the end:

Eh...um...I don't know what to say really. Is this some sort of London media-whore irony that I'm missing?

In praise of
    Ye you're missing something alright. The article could be laughing at the fact that the Germans have bailed us out and we are sending back Jedward as a "thank you". Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tokkie View Post
    Ye you're missing something alright. The article could be laughing at the fact that the Germans have bailed us out and we are sending back Jedward as a "thank you". Think about it.
    It could be, but I don't think it is. The "In praise of..." editorials aren't ironic or sarcastic - they are meant sincerely.

Wee could threaten them with jedward! Our own WMDs. Tell them we have 100s more just ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    It could be, but I don't think it is. The "In praise of..." editorials aren't ironic or sarcastic - they are meant sincerely.
    Fair enough. The article could be interpreted in a number of ways. However offensive is certainly not one one of them.

The Grauniad !! Produced by , and for , Islingtons finest minds.

I stopped reading the Guardian years ago - I got sick of the unrelentingly smug trendy liberalness, hostility towards Catholicism, and condescending attitude towards the Irish (becoming outright insulting when we voted 'no' on Nice and Lisbon). The liberal left (and I am left myself) can be some of the most intolerant people of all.

Guardian is badly written PC comic for Fergus Finlay types. And like all English liberals they actually despise us and our peasant ways and that we've never become, well, like Fergus and Michael Twee - you know - like - nice decent fkn Paddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    Guardian is badly written PC comic for Fergus Finlay types. And like all English liberals they actually despise us and our peasant ways and that we've never become, well, like Fergus and Michael Twee - you know - like - nice decent fkn Paddies.
    Do you want some vinegar for all those chips on your shoulder?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment