Register to Comment
Page 3 of 1885 FirstFirst 1234513531035031003 ... LastLast
Like Tree13438Likes

Quote Originally Posted by wicklowperson View Post
    She is very poor with her interviews and I feel at times totally out of depth with many subjects. Clare Byrne was good during her prolonged summer holidays.
    Really RTE need to get rid of these type presenters (Joe Duffy etc) and allow new talent on.
    I agree, though I think she doesn't actually take a holiday - rather does some good in Africa (which she doesn't crow about).

Claire Byrne is a far better, journalist & presenter. she actually questions. Finucane used to drive me mad during the bubble, she was as bad as Jim Power & them talking up our "success". OK she isn't an economist (is he?) but still some questioning / scepticism should / was required. Instead to me (who was highly sceptical but given my professional & academic background had good reason to be) she was at best just an inert conduit for the nonsense being pedelled by so many with vested interests or at worst actually prostelysing on their behalf.

Also I think sometimes she has (maybe for good reason, such as humanity) given some interviewees a very easy time, whilst taking a diametrically opposed approach with others. The really obvious one was in 2005/6 I remember her laying into Dermot Mannion (then CEO of Aer Lingus) & the next week almost canonising Tony Ryan (& Ryanair) during his interview. A questioning, polite stance would have been far more beneficial with the pair of them.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by moralhazard77 View Post
    I watched the Late Late Show last night and it was a joke. I read somewhere that Tubridy promised the show would be improved, more indepth serious interviews and higher quality all round. But no, it was the same old sh#te. A tennis player, educate together people, couple of boring hollywooders, an illness, stupid music and Sinead O'Connor trying to be sexy(Ew!). Same old dross. God forbid they would ever mention the fact that the IMF are running the country or that democracy is dying and the world is in flames. I know I won't be watching it again and I bet I'm not the only one. But I suppose it doesn't matter if you watch RTE or not, they still get paid.
    I actually fell asleep during Sinead O'Connor's part. Let's face LLS is as about as relevant as a whiskey tasting guide is in a hotel in Mecca.

She might get 10 grand a year at a community radio station.

I think I read Vinny gets around €54,000 after tax. He works his ass off 5 days a week and is on late at night, compare that to Finucane who works 2 days for a couple of hours.

Let the market rule baby is right.
    It really makes you wonder what skeletons RTE have found in peoples' closets and discreetly closed the doors again. RTE used to be really good at "investigative" journalism. I recall a guy in the 90s - red head with a beard - chasing down all and sundry, even getting the odd dig for his troubles, but it was powerful stuff. This sort of "public guardian" reporting seems to be gone, to be replaced with headlines like "the government rejects....." and let that be that.

I was actually annoyed by the brazen laziness of the woman. 'I saw a headline on the cover of the paper, sure we'll blather about that for 20 minutes. I suppose we better do some about religion, sure Brian Darcy'll do the best...'

It was an insult to anyone listening. A total lack of respect for the listenership. She simply does not give one single, solitary dung.

If I was to repeatedly put out that performance, as Finucane does, I would get the boot and rightly so. It's simply not acceptable to treat your customers with such breathtaking indifference. Especially on the money she's getting, 'sure, it'll do' is not remotely an acceptable attitude.

€570,000, Christ almighty, that's a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus View Post
    the times they are a changing alright.

RTÉ’s cost-cutting programme will see 70 jobs lost · Business ETC

were a long way from when the coke head refused to take a paycut.

still im flabergasted at those figures

70 people costing us five million a year in payroll and ten million to get shot of them ?

someone was enjoying themselves. no wonder they think the average industrial wage is "low".
    That's only the tip of the iceberg, rte (and they won't be the only ones) are going to learn that not understanding economics does not make you immune from it's laws!

Oh how I look forward to the day when the tv licence tax is abolished, watching them desperately try to fight it, then flounder for a while as financial reality bites into them, and inevitably collapse and get bought out is going to be far more entertaining than any of the rubbish they have ever produced!

It will be interesting to see what the takeover price will be, after purchaser has weighed up the assets against the liabilities,

Assets
    - Montrose site - valuable
    - lots of dirt on current / ex politicos and their cronies / patrons

Liabilities
    All of the individuals listed in the preceeding posts above!

RTE news is so biased, it's pathetic. I doubt younger people even watch it anymore, I know I don't. RTE's power is dwindling fast, but they refuse to change. The license fee is unsustainable in these recessionary times.

Something's got to give.
    I watch the RTE news every night. It's handy for checking what bullsh1t is being peddled that day by the elites against the general citizen. As a source of real news, it is nearly useless. Remember the IMF in Dublin? RTE should have been burned to the ground next day.

Quote Originally Posted by wicklowperson View Post
    She is very poor with her interviews and I feel at times totally out of depth with many subjects. Clare Byrne was good during her prolonged summer holidays.
    Really RTE need to get rid of these type presenters (Joe Duffy etc) and allow new talent on.
    Clare Byrne is an annoying light-weight hypocrite. She banged on enough about public service workers when she was in Newssqualk, and now she has no troubles taking an income in RTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    It really makes you wonder what skeletons RTE have found in peoples' closets and discreetly closed the doors again. RTE used to be really good at "investigative" journalism. I recall a guy in the 90s - red head with a beard - chasing down all and sundry, even getting the odd dig for his troubles, but it was powerful stuff. This sort of "public guardian" reporting seems to be gone, to be replaced with headlines like "the government rejects....." and let that be that.
    I think the guy you are thinking of is Brendan O Brien. He was a fantastic investigative journalist / reporter.
    I remember watching him one night on Prime Time (I think) in the early 90's as he tracked down one of the main drug traffickers in the south of Ireland, and tried to interview him as he walked home from the local shop. As the clip was running, I instantly recognised where it was being filmed. It was where I lived! It turned out yer man was only living 100yards up the road from my parents house! Used to say hello to him and all when passing him on the street, or in the shop. Seemed an ok chap. Got a bit of a shock, I have to say!!

Sell RTE. All of it.

where is brendan o'brien now?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment