Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

RTE and tv licences

On thursday just gone one of Irelands best known and reputable sport institutions made history for the League Of Ireland and for the country by becoming the first Irish team to qualify for the group stages of a European competition. Going into the match Rovers were closer to making this break through than any other Irish team ever has been. Now surely in any other country such a huge sporting occasion would be available to anyone in the country, but not in this dive of an island. I mean seriously this was for some bigger then O'Leary's penalty in 1990 but RTE weren't bothered. I already mentioned this in another thread but RTE's pathetic coverage of just about everything deserves it's own thread I feel. The only downside to what was otherwise a momuntes occasion was provided by the same channel that insults us by showing those cringeworthy tv licence ads. Portraying the irish people as incompetent idiots who don't bother paying their bills. The cheek of them. The insults don't stop there, they are never ending. They tell we must pay our tv license our face the shame of a court appearance. In return for paying our licence we get Mrs Browns boys, Fair City, Ear to the ground and hours more of utter tripe. I swear to christ if the tv license guy calls to my door I'll end up in court for assault!!

Anyone have any idea who decides what programmes are shown on rte and how much are they paid with our money? If they're paid at all we're getting ripped off!

Rant over.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I think it could be worth a good few thosand votes to any party willing to disband the D4 disaster that is RTE. Are you a Rovers fan ?

Quote Originally Posted by cillian32 View Post
    I think it could be worth a good few thosand votes to any party willing to disband the D4 disaster that is RTE. Are you a Rovers fan ?
    Nope I support Cork City. Despite usually loathing Rovers I was delighted on thursday, as was any LOI fan except maybe bohs supporters

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    On thursday just gone one of Irelands best known and reputable sport institutions made history for the League Of Ireland and for the country by becoming the first Irish team to qualify for the group stages of a European competition. Going into the match Rovers were closer to making this break through than any other Irish team ever has been. Now surely in any other country such a huge sporting occasion would be available to anyone in the country, but not in this dive of an island. I mean seriously this was for some bigger then O'Leary's penalty in 1990 but RTE weren't bothered. I already mentioned this in another thread but RTE's pathetic coverage of just about everything deserves it's own thread I feel. The only downside to what was otherwise a momuntes occasion was provided by the same channel that insults us by showing those cringeworthy tv licence ads. Portraying the irish people as incompetent idiots who don't bother paying their bills. The cheek of them. The insults don't stop there, they are never ending. They tell we must pay our tv license our face the shame of a court appearance. In return for paying our licence we get Mrs Browns boys, Fair City, Ear to the ground and hours more of utter tripe. I swear to christ if the tv license guy calls to my door I'll end up in court for assault!!

Anyone have any idea who decides what programmes are shown on rte and how much are they paid with our money? If they're paid at all we're getting ripped off!

Rant over.
    The previous night RTE showed English team Arsenal v Udinese in a CL qualifier. When the CL is up and running the station basically becomes the MAN YOO channel showing United at every opportunity even in boring games with little at stake. Their decision not to broadcast Shamrock Rovers historic breakthrough was a shocking oversight.

What's this licence fee stuff about, if all they do is pander to what they think is the most popular decision. In this case they were wrong on both counts, I doubt very much that there was more interest among Irish sports fans in Arsenal's progress above that of Shamrock Rovers.

RTE are neither fish nor fowl (they can be foul). In most countries Public Service Broadcasting means producing high quality programs or covering minority interests that commercial companies are not interested in. That is the justification for licence fees. As usual, the Irish govt's idea of PS broadcasting is showing them and their cronies in a good light. RTE should not be allowed to use taxpayers money to compete for the Champion's league against TV3, nor should they be allowed use it to get TV rights to GAA championship games. Unfortunately, the only way the TV licence will go is up.

You have to have a license to drive a car, own a dog, own a gun and a bunch of other things which require a certain amount of responsibility mostly because misuse can harm people. Why do people need a license to watch TV? Of course some of the rubbish shown by RTÉ is so excruciatingly bad that it could possibly harm people but there is always the remote.
    In reality we are not talking about a license but a tax. People in Ireland are taxed for owning a television. That tax money goes to RTÉ even if the people in question are NOT brain dead and chose to watch something other than the dross RTÉ seem to think people like.
    It's about time people decided to consider alternatives and deprive the fat cats of Montrose this money.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Going into the match Rovers were closer to making this break through than any other Irish team ever has been. Now surely in any other country such a huge sporting occasion would be available to anyone in the country, but not in this dive of an island.
    Congrats to Rovers, but in most countries they're well used to their teams getting this far...

I mean seriously this was for some bigger then O'Leary's penalty in 1990 but RTE weren't bothered.
    For some... but for the vast majority it wasn't...

I already mentioned this in another thread but RTE's pathetic coverage of just about everything deserves it's own thread I feel.
    RTE is pretty sh!te alright... but IMO there's enough f***ing football on the box already...

The only downside to what was otherwise a momuntes occasion was provided by the same channel that insults us by showing those cringeworthy tv licence ads. Portraying the irish people as incompetent idiots who don't bother paying their bills. The cheek of them. The insults don't stop there, they are never ending. They tell we must pay our tv license our face the shame of a court appearance. In return for paying our licence we get Mrs Browns boys, Fair City, Ear to the ground and hours more of utter tripe. I swear to christ if the tv license guy calls to my door I'll end up in court for assault!!
    The TV licence should be abolished alright, but not because of this...

No but they're undoubtedly under-worked and overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMac View Post
    Your TV licence paid for this...

They'd be much better off getting her back on her meds and doing something about those seizures.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMac View Post
    Your TV licence paid for this...

What the f*uck. Does she not have any friends that could have stopped her ? Bitches

An 'Irish Star' reporter with a very distinctive inner city of Dublin accent once said, quite increduously to me over the telephone, "Do you mean to tell me of all the hundreds of millions of Elvis fans in the world, you an Irishman, living here in Swords, were the one responsible for getting a statue of Elvis Presley erected in his birthplace, Tupelo Mississippi?".

Yes I was.

I couldn't interest RTE in that particular story although it appeared in numerous publications here in Ireland, the UK, and USA etc.

Funny old world is it not?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment