Register to Comment
Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree635Likes

Mary Robinson's giving back to us Mayo Peasants.

I start this thread on the planned shrine to Mary Robinson, in anger. It will be subsidised by Mayo rate /property tax payers (1.5 million from Mayo Co Co), and the tax payer (2m from the Dept of the Taoiseach). This contemptuous Marie Antoinette 'let them have cake' project is for a county that is among the top five most economically deprived in the country, a county with very little new social housing being built, whose co council manager has made the case with Minister Noonan for a 2 million tax write off for the Robinson family for Mary's donating of the archive of her papers.

Honestly, we as a nation have lost the plot if this nonsense is allowed, and Mayo in particular, my own county, and its people, will be fully deserving of the 'Mayo God help us' tag.

Dermot Ferriter has got it spot on in the Irish Times today, as did the Phoenix magazine a few months ago.

Something is truly rotten in Mayo CC, the Department of the Taoiseach and the Department of Finance when they support this shennigans.

Why could she not hand over her papers to the State, or a National Archive of Museum, free, as other presidents have done, if she wanted to give something back to the people!It seems even the 'thundering disgrace' man did that?

As far as I know, only one co councillor, Jarleth Munnelly FG, has questioned this, perhaps others have too, such as Gerry Ginty, though I imagine if they are Ballina based, they would be reluctant to do so least they fear they will be seen as knocking one of their town's famous daughters.

In effect Mary wanting to 'give back to the people' could result in:

1)The Robinson family getting a 2 million tax break.
    2) Robbo's pension of over 120,000 becoming tax free for a decade and a half, many years?
    3) A civic building or monument to Mary Robinson funded by Mayo rate payers, Mayo household charge payers, and national tax payers, to the tune of 2 million or more.
    4) The existing Bourke family home, which houses her brother's legal practise, (Mary Robinson, nee Burke), being purchased at a generous price, well above real market rates. I can tell you that up to a year ago, that property, if local market conditions were to be followed, would be lucky to get 300,000, and I doubt if the market has recovered much since then. Ballina property prices are not as in Dublin, Galway or Cork.

As another poster, Finbar 10 put it, 'The Mary Robinson story itself seems to be well worth a thread. Only came across it in the first page of my most recent Phoenix magazine. Herself and her family seem to be entitled to tax relief on 80% of the market value of her presidential archive. She has had Mealy's Auctioneers value this at €2.5 million, which would entitle them to €2 million in tax relief. The Department of Arts and Mayo County Council also seem to be donating €2.175m and €1.5m, respectively, for a building to house this. Part of the deal seems to be the purchase of a property with price tag of €665,000 from Mary's brother, Adrian Bourke. However, it appears that Revenue may not have accepted the €2.5 million valuation, and have come up with their own number, which has been circulated to those concerned (though not mentioned in the article). The difference between Mary's €2.5m valuation and the Revenue's number seems to be causing delay in the project (a bit of a spanner in the works)'.

My thanks To Finbar 10 for the quote below from Phoenix magazine which I read a few months ago, ( I don't have that copy to hand).. ''A very, very expensive precedent has been set by the government in accepting Mary Robinson's presidential archive to qualify as acceptable under Section 1003 of the Taxes Consolidation Act ... Whatever about the real value of Robbo's archive, the government decision in this case means Mary McAleese, Michael D Higgins -- and why not Enda Kenny? -- and all their successors can claim the same treatment and tax relief for their families in the future''.

Finbar 10 also suggested on another thread, where this incidentally came into the discussion, that it might be worth a thread of its own so this is as much his thread as mine. If the mods can add his name to it, I would appreciate same.
    Last edited by west'sawake; 28th November 2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I was having a look at my son's 6th class history book and she gets a whole chapter. Did she cure the sick or raise the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    I was having a look at my son's 6th class history book and she gets a whole chapter. Did she cure the sick or raise the dead?
    In less than seven years.....!

We used to call that job on knock you could go home as soon as you were finished..... in Robbo's case it was a job in the UN and she couldn't get the rest of us in the rear view quick enough............

Well I was warned about this individual some 40 years ago now

- and I don't think anything has changed in the meantime

Also heard all about Mayo Co Co from someone who has the misfortune to deal with them a lot

They seem well matched by all accounts....

I can understand why you are angry.. FFS, the sense of entitlement is stomach-churning.

If true, this takes the biscuit:

Part of the deal seems to be the purchase of a property with price tag of €665,000 from Mary's brother: Adrian Bourke.
    I'm tempted to say we should value the archive at approximately the same level she valuated the Irish Presidency when she resigned from it to take up that job at the UN (i.e fook all).

Plus, it's ungainly, undiginified, and un-Presidential for them to accept any tax-write off in exchange of handing over papers. The real, ongoing cost is to the state in terms of keeping them maintained and in good condition and organizing how to make them available to researchers and the public etc. They should be flattered.. not rewarded.

However, it is wrong to say that she has any prejudice against the peasants of Mayo or anywhere else. Sure didn't she bring some servants and maids up to Dublin with her when she went to university? (Not sure how true that story it is, but I have heard it numerous times and, if true, it gives an insight into the sense of entitlement...)

Mary the money
    She's getting so funny
    She wont be left out
    On St Patricks Day
    Shes saving the brass
    We're the jack-ass
    The tax code
    Is for making hay ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    Mary the money
    She's getting so funny
    She wont be left out
    On St Patricks Day
    Shes saving the brass
    We're the jack-ass
    The tax code
    Is for making hay ...

Meanwhile the housing waiting list gets longer in Mayo and the roads remain a disgrace.

We now seem to be moving into the age of "Celebrity Politician" Complete nonsense and a total waste of money. It is a vanity project.

I bet there's a room set aside for her Nobel Peace Prize.

Quote Originally Posted by west'sawake View Post
    4) The existing Bourke family home, which houses her brother's legal practise, (Mary Robinson, nee burke), being purchased at a generous price, possibility above real market rates.

I can tell you that up to a year ago, that property, if local market conditions were to be followed, would be lucky to get 300,000, and I doubt if the market has recovered much since then. Ballina property prices are not as in Dublin, Galway or Cork.
    Quoting from the same recent (21/10) Phoenix article:
    A significant element of the overall budget is the €665,000 price tag for Adrian Bourke's (Mary's brother) three-storey terrace property in Ballina which includes a "strategic valuation premium recognising the disruption the acquisition will cause to current owners' business and/or family home".

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment