Register to Comment
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree646Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    I bet there's a room set aside for her Nobel Peace Prize.
    You want to see the size of the Room set aside for her Ego!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar10 View Post
    Quoting from the same recent (21/10) Phoenix article:
    This whole think stinks to high heaven IMO

Send in Wallace & Daly to shift through the dirt....

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar10 View Post
    Quoting from the same recent (21/10) Phoenix article:

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. I'm getting angrier. To date there has been no negative comment from our local press. I hope they waken up least they been seen as part of the fawning majority that facilitate this paradigm of cleptocracy.

The CeticPussy roars again.................

Quote Originally Posted by west'sawake View Post
    I start this thread, on the planned shrine to Mary Robinson, in anger. It will be subsidised by Mayo rate /property tax payers (1.5 million from Mayo Co Co), and the tax payer (2m from the Dept of the Taoiseach). This contemptuous Marie Antoinette 'let them have cake' project is for a county that is among the top five most economically deprived in the county, a county with very little new social housing being built, whose co council manager has made the case with Minister Noonan for a 2 million tax write off for the Robinson family for Mary's donating of the archive of her papers.

Honestly, we as a nation have lost the plot if this nonsense is allowed, and Mayo in particular, my own county, and its people, will be fully deserving of the 'Mayo God help us' tag.

Dermot Ferriter has got it spot on in the Irish Times today, as did the Phoenix magazine a few months ago.

Something is truly rotten in Mayo CC, the Department of the Taoiseach and the Department of Finance when they support this Shennigans.

Why could she not hand over her papers to the State, or a National Archive of Museum, free, as other presidents have done, if she wanted to give something back to the people!It seems even the 'thundering disgrace' man did that.

As far as I know, only one councillor, Jarleth Munnelly FG, to his credit, has questioned this.

In effect Mary wanting to 'give back to the people' could result in:

1)The Robinson family getting a 2 million tax break.
    2) Robbo's pension of over 120,000 becoming tax free for a decade and a half, many years?
    3) A civic building or monument to Mary Robinson funded by Mayo rate payers, Mayo household charge payers, and national tax payers, to the tune of 2 million or more.
    4) The existing Bourke family home, which houses her brother's legal practise, (Mary Robinson, nee burke), being purchased at a generous price, possibility above real market rates.

I can tell you that up to a year ago, that property, if local market conditions were to be followed, would be lucky to get 300,000, and I doubt if the market has recovered much since then. Ballina property prices are not as in Dublin, Galway or Cork.

As another poster, Finbar 10 put it, 'The Mary Robinson story itself seems to be well worth a thread. Only came across it in the first page of my most recent Phoenix magazine. Herself and her family seem to be entitled to tax relief on 80% of the market value of her presidential archive. She has had Mealy's Auctioneers value this at €2.5 million, which would entitle them to €2 million in tax relief. The Department of Arts and Mayo County Council also seem to be donating €2.175m and €1.5m, respectively, for a building to house this. Part of the deal seems to be the purchase of a property with price tag of €665,000 from Mary's brother: Adrian Bourke. However, it appears that Revenue may not be accepted the €2.5 million valuation, and have come up with their own number, which has been circulated to those concerned (though not mentioned in the article). The difference between Mary's €2.5m valuation and the Revenue's number seems to be causing delay in the project (a bit of a spanner in the works).

My thanks To Finbar 10 for the quote below from Phoenix magazine which I read over six months ago, ( I don't have that copy to hand).. ''A very, very expensive precedent has been set by the government in accepting Mary Robinson's presidential archive to qualify as acceptable under Section 1003 of the Taxes Consolidation Act ... Whatever about the real value of Robbo's archive, the government decision in this case means Mary McAleese, Michael D Higgins -- and why not Enda Kenny? -- and all their successors can claim the same treatment and tax relief for their families in the future''. Finbar 10 also suggested on another thread, where this incidentally came into the discussion, that it might be worth a thread of its own so this is as much his thread as mine. If the mods can add his name to it, I would appreciate same.
    the wealthy own the tax laws, there is another thread on how the wealthy can can use the tax laws, with our dithering mof refusing to close that loophole, look at how he warned off cab from the 15 who had illegal bank accounts in switzerland

Just order a skip for about €500 and dump the lot. No loss.

Hadn't she a quote in one of her books about when she was growing up that her family were a big deal and a very important family in the area and locals knew it. It seems they still know it

Why is a bankrupt state going further into debt to fund this useless parasite Noddy, & her aristocratic pretensions ?

These superficially concerned leaches always are an expensive burden on the eorking people.

Quote Originally Posted by west'sawake View Post
    I start this thread, on the planned shrine to Mary Robinson, in anger. It will be subsidised by Mayo rate /property tax payers (1.5 million from Mayo Co Co), and the tax payer (2m from the Dept of the Taoiseach). This contemptuous Marie Antoinette 'let them have cake' project is for a county that is among the top five most economically deprived in the county, a county with very little new social housing being built, whose co council manager has made the case with Minister Noonan for a 2 million tax write off for the Robinson family for Mary's donating of the archive of her papers.

Honestly, we as a nation have lost the plot if this nonsense is allowed, and Mayo in particular, my own county, and its people, will be fully deserving of the 'Mayo God help us' tag.

Dermot Ferriter has got it spot on in the Irish Times today, as did the Phoenix magazine a few months ago.

Something is truly rotten in Mayo CC, the Department of the Taoiseach and the Department of Finance when they support this Shennigans.

Why could she not hand over her papers to the State, or a National Archive of Museum, free, as other presidents have done, if she wanted to give something back to the people!It seems even the 'thundering disgrace' man did that.

As far as I know, only one councillor, Jarleth Munnelly FG, to his credit, has questioned this.

In effect Mary wanting to 'give back to the people' could result in:

1)The Robinson family getting a 2 million tax break.
    2) Robbo's pension of over 120,000 becoming tax free for a decade and a half, many years?
    3) A civic building or monument to Mary Robinson funded by Mayo rate payers, Mayo household charge payers, and national tax payers, to the tune of 2 million or more.
    4) The existing Bourke family home, which houses her brother's legal practise, (Mary Robinson, nee burke), being purchased at a generous price, possibility above real market rates.

I can tell you that up to a year ago, that property, if local market conditions were to be followed, would be lucky to get 300,000, and I doubt if the market has recovered much since then. Ballina property prices are not as in Dublin, Galway or Cork.

As another poster, Finbar 10 put it, 'The Mary Robinson story itself seems to be well worth a thread. Only came across it in the first page of my most recent Phoenix magazine. Herself and her family seem to be entitled to tax relief on 80% of the market value of her presidential archive. She has had Mealy's Auctioneers value this at €2.5 million, which would entitle them to €2 million in tax relief. The Department of Arts and Mayo County Council also seem to be donating €2.175m and €1.5m, respectively, for a building to house this. Part of the deal seems to be the purchase of a property with price tag of €665,000 from Mary's brother: Adrian Bourke. However, it appears that Revenue may not be accepted the €2.5 million valuation, and have come up with their own number, which has been circulated to those concerned (though not mentioned in the article). The difference between Mary's €2.5m valuation and the Revenue's number seems to be causing delay in the project (a bit of a spanner in the works).

My thanks To Finbar 10 for the quote below from Phoenix magazine which I read over six months ago, ( I don't have that copy to hand).. ''A very, very expensive precedent has been set by the government in accepting Mary Robinson's presidential archive to qualify as acceptable under Section 1003 of the Taxes Consolidation Act ... Whatever about the real value of Robbo's archive, the government decision in this case means Mary McAleese, Michael D Higgins -- and why not Enda Kenny? -- and all their successors can claim the same treatment and tax relief for their families in the future''. Finbar 10 also suggested on another thread, where this incidentally came into the discussion, that it might be worth a thread of its own so this is as much his thread as mine. If the mods can add his name to it, I would appreciate same.

This thread has been moved to the 'Mayo' forum. Beats me why it is not deemed suitable for current affairs. Surely this is a national issue, not a parochial Mayo one. Disappointed to say the least.

Here is Diarmaid Ferriter's piece in the Irish Times today.

Diarmaid Ferriter: Mary Robinson

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment