Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Poll indicates that declining economy may not help Lisbon 2: Eurobarometer

The Yes side have been trumping that the declining economy and increased insecurity here will help the Yes vote in a rerun. However, the EU's own Eurobarometer poll does not bare this out. Support for the EU has declined 6% to 67% and we drop to 3rd in EU support. There have also been declines for trust in the Commission and EU Parliament. This is despite the dramatic shift to the negative on the Irish economy in the Index.

Consequently, attempting to link our declining economy with encouraging a Yes vote next October does not appear to be the silver bullet that the Yes side believes it is.
    Irish among EU's most pessimistic on economics - survey - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 19, 2008
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

It could help the no side, Ibis.

What ? Has anyone on the 'yes' side actually linked the recession to a rejection of Lisbon ?
    I find that hard to swallow . Ibis , IBIS where are you ? Set this man straight will you ? The EU would never countenance blackmail . Anyone who says different is a nut job or simply doesnt understand .

Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin View Post
    What ? Has anyone on the 'yes' side actually linked the recession to a rejection of Lisbon ?
    I find that hard to swallow . Ibis , IBIS where are you ? Set this man straight will you ? The EU would never countenance blackmail . Anyone who says different is a nut job or simply doesnt understand .

His is the first reply, Stewie...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    His is the first reply, Stewie...
    I was typing at the time ! His spidey senses are phenomenal !

Too phenomenal...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Too phenomenal...
    And yet...look who else is here!

Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin View Post
    I don't think anyone knows whether the recession will help either side, and I don't think anyone is planning on using it as a campaign rallying cry. Our recession has nothing to do with the EU, and nothing to do with Lisbon either. It's another red herring - possibly even a straw man made out of red herrings, smelly as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    I don't think anyone knows whether the recession will help either side, and I don't think anyone is planning on using it as a campaign rallying cry. Our recession has nothing to do with the EU, and nothing to do with Lisbon either. It's another red herring - possibly even a straw man made out of red herrings, smelly as that sounds.
    I don't think you'll think it's a straw man if you listen to the likes of Pat Kenny. To your credit though, I don't think you do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment