Register to Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Vote Yes To Lisbon Video

Quote Originally Posted by PaintingMedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

You don't understand the principle behind representative democracy do you?
    Yeah I do
    So, when elected representatives make decisions, do you consider that undemocratic?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan

Yeah I do
    Do you understand the difference between a consultative referendum and a legally binding one?

The Dutch referendum was a glorified opinion poll.

Our referenda are legally binding.
    Yes I see what you are saying, that still does not change the fact that over 60% rejected it, there is the numbers, so the MEP and Dutch government have undermined the Dutch people by ignoring this referendum

Quote Originally Posted by ibis

Yeah I do
    So, when elected representatives make decisions, do you consider that undemocratic?
    I believe if we take this Dutch example, over 60% of the voters rejected the treaty, but this has been ignored. That is proof of elected representatives being undemocratic. This was a mandate from the people to reject the treaty and it was ignored!

Yes I see what you are saying, that still does not change the fact that over 60% rejected it, there is the numbers, so the MEP and Dutch government have undermined the Dutch people by ignoring this referendum
    If I was Dutch I might be angry with the Dutch government. But I'm not Dutch, and I don't see how it reflects badly on the EU - which was completely uninvolved. The EU neither held the referendum, counted the vote or accepted or rejected the answer.

And as an Irish person, in a country with a tradition of direct democracy and legally binding referenda, I don't see how it has any connection to me or how I vote on Lisbon. If the Dutch want to improve Dutch democracy, thats up to them. I'll vote on behalf of ireland.

I believe if we take this Dutch example, over 60% of the voters rejected the treaty, but this has been ignored. That is proof of elected representatives being undemocratic. This was a mandate from the people to reject the treaty and it was ignored!
    Yes. Evidence that Dutch elected representatives ignored a consultative referendum. Are you Dutch? Go to Politics.nl

The Dutch referendum has no connection to Ireland's upcomming referendum. We shouldn't vote in Ireland depending on the quality of Dutch democracy.

If I was Dutch I might be angry with the Dutch government. But I'm not Dutch, and I don't see how it reflects badly on the EU - which was completely uninvolved. The EU neither held the referendum, counted the vote or accepted or rejected the answer.

And as an Irish person, in a country with a tradition of direct democracy and legally binding referenda, I don't see how it has any connection to me or how I vote on Lisbon. If the Dutch want to improve Dutch democracy, thats up to them. I'll vote on behalf of ireland.

I will vote on behalf of Ireland too! May the best side win!

Yes. Evidence that Dutch elected representatives ignored a consultative referendum. Are you Dutch? Go to Politics.nl

The Dutch referendum has no connection to Ireland's upcomming referendum. We shouldn't vote in Ireland depending on the quality of Dutch democracy.
    You do not mind talking about Holland or France or the other countries who voted for the treaty when it suits you? But now you change your tune, that is interesting? Convenient parochialism?

You do not mind talking about Holland or France or the other countries who voted for the treaty when it suits you? But now you change your tune, that is interesting? Convenient parochialism?
    No - no-one on the Yes side is claiming we should vote Yes on behalf of some other country.

It is the no side that keep bringing up these referenda - and this always annoys me.

The no side arguments are always self contradictory.

Vote No because two other countries once voted no to a similar question. Vote No because other countries are telling us what to do.

Vote No because the EU is not democratic enough. Vote No because they are going to reduce our representation in line with our relative population.

Vote No because Ireland is the only country being asked to vote.

Plus they always conveniently forget to mention the 'Yes' votes in Spain and Luxembourg!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment