Register to Comment
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oppenheimer

Dirty old Town!

The latest litter survey has found that Portlaoise is the most littered town in Ireland.

Portlaoise dumped with the title of country's dirtiest town - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Is it time to re-examine our waste strategy?

It's not working at the moment.
    Last edited by I,Callely; 10th January 2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: keyboard acting up!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'm glad this thread has received very little attention, partly because the negativity in the headline and partly because you suggest that our waste strategy is not working based on one input from a newspaper that many on this forum regard as equivalent to a tabloid in terms of its quality.

I'd much rather go with the IT version on this occasion:

Cleanliness in Irish towns has improved - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 10, 2011

In which our rating is compared with the rest of the EU and suggests that...
    IRELAND HAS has shown continued improvement in the cleanliness of its towns with almost three-quarters deemed clean to European norms, according to a recent survey commissioned by Irish Business Against Litter (IBAL) and carried out by An Taisce.
    There is no doubt that work remains to be done but I would say that is on the attitudes of those that live and visit those places most littered and put a halt to the scumbag behaviour of those that choose to litter in those areas rather than work to the national waste strategy.

I would also suggest that in comparing these stories, some work needs to be done to newspapers' spinning these stories with the ONLY goal to sell papers and not at all to report the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    I'm glad this thread has received very little attention
    Would have received a lot less if you hadn't replied to the OP tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    Would have received a lot less if you hadn't replied to the OP tbh
    It likely will continue to languish but the balance needed restoring somewhat - and it is a pet hate of mine that journalists/editors get away with reporting things the way they do with no accountability themselves. Another example of catalytic poisoning of our culture.

Quote Originally Posted by I,Callely View Post
    The latest litter survey has found that Portlaoise is the most littered town in Ireland.

Portlaoise dumped with the title of country's dirtiest town - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Another article by the indo that is negative and aimed at a public service it is probably not true. On the other hand with or without litter Portlaoise is a ..................

Glad youdidnt finish that sentence Socratus. People are always whingeing and bitching about Portlaoise and County Laois. I always assumed they must be right, and everywhere else must be great. Having now visited many places throughout Ireland, and although I enjoyed my time in those places, I am always appreciative to be home. Laois is actually beautiful and Portlaoise is not so different from many towns. The biggest problem we have is being paired with Offaly as a constituency; as Offaly TDs consistently neglect us regarding the provision of State services.

ps whether the article about litter was accurate or not, I dont know, but its definitely not true anymore

Quote Originally Posted by I,Callely View Post

When our councils got rid of their waste collection services, they should have insisted that private waste companies had a role in maintaining public litter.

How do you start a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Finlay View Post
    How do you start a thread?
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/feedbac...ser-guide.html

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment