Register to Comment
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Where now for Labour?

The recent opinion polls show Labour bouncing around the bottom at around 4%. Howlin has made little impact since he took over. I heard Dick Spring being interview a few weeks ago and he said Labour has been there before and will come back. I had thought so too but I am beggining to think this decline might be terminal. The left is a very crowded place at the moment with Labour, the Soc Dems, SF and the Alphabets not to mention independents who are inevitably populist. Certain parties that have been big, bigger than Labour, have disappeared. I am thinking of the Progressive Conservatives in Canada, the Federalist Party in the US and the Liberals in the UK.It is hard to see the usp of the Labour Party and it looks old and outdated.

The party has a fairly young fresh looking cadre at local level...https://www.labour.ie/people/localareareps/ and councillors https://www.labour.ie/people/localareareps/ but the question is can they turn these into seat getters in the medium term. The Labour Party comes across to me as a middle class party obsessed with social issues and with no real distinguishing economic policies. What can they do to make themselves stand out from the herd?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Big difference between now and Dick Springs era is the strength of SF , they now occupy the space of the official left in Irish politics and are not going anywhere. Hard to see how Labour will get back again until SF get into power and become as unpopular as labour are now.

It's all a numbers game.

If they fall right after the next election - the Labour lads and lassies
    could be back in power.

And the FG/FF/SF heads will be glad to have them!!

It would drive the Hard Left demented, of course.

Into the dustbin hopefully.

They need to drop that non-entity of a leader and elect someone with some oomph like Alan Kelly.

It's no coincidence that the party that's leading in the polls (FG) is the one with the youngest leader.

Labour could steal a march on SF (still stuck in defend-Jarry mode) and elect a leader who would appeal to younger voters - not to mention his record of standing by his principles.

The first thing that Labour has to do is to depose the homunculus Howlin and have a leadership election. They also need to find some populist issue for which they can stand. Popular issues = votes. Voters don't care about SJW issues and fewer still vote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    They need to drop that non-entity of a leader and elect someone with some oomph like Alan Kelly.

It's no coincidence that the party that's leading in the polls (FG) is the one with the youngest leader.

Labour could steal a march on SF (still stuck in defend-Jarry mode) and elect a leader who would appeal to younger voters - not to mention his record of standing by his principles.
    Do you think Kelly could do it? I think he'd be better than Howlin but I still see the need fro Labour to stand for something different.

Hard Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Into the dustbin hopefully.
    & with a bit of luck,,, whisked away, away by Ophelia in a whirlwind.. Never ever to be seen again.....

SHower of wind bags ....

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment