Register to Comment
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ddoggfather View Post
    i def remember him sayin that, just go searching like you are online
    If untrue, the thread title is defamatory. One would expect that such a thread would include basic facts to support the statements - or can we all just blurt random threads with no links and avoid proper moderation?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

"I think the Lisbon Treaty is dead. The Lisbon Treaty to be ratified requires 27 Member States to ratify it. The Irish people have now decided in a referendum that they do not wish to have it ratified therefore Ireland cannot ratify the Lisbon Treaty and therefore the Lisbon Treaty falls" - Eamon Gilmore the day after the June 2008 referendum on RTE SixOne News, 13/6/08 RTÉ.ie: Lisbon result poses question for EU

“I don't think there's any question of this Treaty being put a second time to the people” - Eamon Gilmore, RTE SixOne News on 13/6/08 RTÉ.ie: Lisbon result poses question for EU

“People have made a decision. The Lisbon Treaty cannot now be ratified. And I think that the decision that has been made by the Irish people has got to be respected by everybody. Got to be respected by the Taoiseach, by the Government, by the other Member States, by the political leadership in Brussels” - Eamon Gilmore RTE SixOne News on 13/6/08 RTÉ.ie: Lisbon result poses question for EU

http://www.politics.ie/2071347-post7.html
    Last edited by SKELLY; 1st June 2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: adding the link to the original post

Quote Originally Posted by SKELLY View Post
    "I think the Lisbon Treaty is dead. The Lisbon Treaty to be ratified requires 27 Member States to ratify it. The Irish people have now decided in a referendum that they do not wish to have it ratified therefore Ireland cannot ratify the Lisbon Treaty and therefore the Lisbon Treaty falls" - Eamon Gilmore the day after the June 2008 referendum on RTE SixOne News, 13/6/08 RTÉ.ie: Lisbon result poses question for EU

“I don't think there's any question of this Treaty being put a second time to the people” - Eamon Gilmore, RTE SixOne News on 13/6/08 RTÉ.ie: Lisbon result poses question for EU

“People have made a decision. The Lisbon Treaty cannot now be ratified. And I think that the decision that has been made by the Irish people has got to be respected by everybody. Got to be respected by the Taoiseach, by the Government, by the other Member States, by the political leadership in Brussels” - Eamon Gilmore RTE SixOne News on 13/6/08 RTÉ.ie: Lisbon result poses question for EU
    The first decent post in this thread.
    For others: What date is the US memo? When was the meeting? Who was there? And what was said?

No point complaining about having elected another government of lying gombeens. There's an endless queue of lying gombeens waiting to take their place.

There is a deep systematic flaw in the political culture. People who tell the truth are neither liked nor trusted in this country - in fact, they are systematically marginalised and suppressed. This is a state like no other.

It really shows the lack of respect Gilmore has for the Irish public. How on earth can we trust a word that comes out of his mouth when publicly he was not backing a rerun of Lisbon while privately assuring others (not even Irish) that he was supporting a rerun.

The man sickens me! But then he has track record here. Just look at the Workers Party the likes of him and De Rossa came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Is there a link to gilmore's public statement? Any proper record of the ones which contradict them? To whom he spoke? And when? You know, facts?
    RTE have it in their archives. It's no longer online.

Brendan Halligan the Labour Party National Policy Coordinator did the same thing back when he was obliged to oppose Ireland joining the EU as part of Labour Party policy.

He now runs one of the most pro-EU 'thinktanks' in Ireland with Pat Cox and Bertie Ahern as well as Peter Sutherland on a board of Honorary members of his Institute of European Affairs which incidentally gets subscriptions to the tune of over 800,000 euros a year from various government departments.

The new PD/Greens- professional liars.

Gilmore first suggested that the people had spoken and there'd be no 2nd referendum on RTE Radio 1 as the results of the 1st Lisbon vote came in and it had become clear that the referendum was lost. I distinctly remember listening to his interview because I was struck by EGs populist tone and his rush to judgment on an issue was ripe for a Labour u-turn.

Politicians lie all the time of course but there has to be consequences when they are caught. For example Brian Lenihan's contradictory claims about phoning President Hillary caused him to be fired from cabinet. If Gilmore was saying one thing in public and another in private and it can be proved then he has to go. But the evidence must be conclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by eirepol View Post
    No point complaining about having elected another government of lying gombeens. There's an endless queue of lying gombeens waiting to take their place.

There is a deep systematic flaw in the political culture. People who tell the truth are neither liked nor trusted in this country - in fact, they are systematically marginalised and suppressed. This is a state like no other.
    You've got that right.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment