Register to Comment
Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119127128129
Results 1,281 to 1,286 of 1286

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Contrary View Post
    What is the Healy-Rae motivation, I wonder?
    His Da told him.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Of those three

Policy - Don't make me laugh

Personal - Don't think there is any personal relationship there

Business - Can't see there being any monetary benefit to it now but may be it's an effort to curry favour for the future ; if say in three years time Labour walk out on FG would FG not have a responsibility to at least investigate a minority government. Team Healy-Rae would be first in line in the queue to be bought off with cap in hand reminding FG that they voted for Enda as Taoiseach.

Also as an additional benefit I'm wondering if it's some sort of weird effort to piss off some of the FGers in South Kerry. Might sound weird but some of FG in South Kerry would prefer a deal with pretty much anyone ahead of Team Healy-Rae. Team Healy-Rae would know this well and I wouldnt put it past them to just enjoy pissing people off. Heard some stories about certain events on election day - really no love lost here.
    Media are quoting MHR as follows:

Mr Healy-Rae said the three came to an “understanding” of their own.

“What the people of Ireland want now is politicians working in a unified, hard-working fashion to try and get us out of where we are at,” Mr Healy-Rae said.

“And just to go into the chamber, and I’m not talking about the technical group, politicians who are going to go into tomorrow or any other day and are knocking Enda Kenny or the ministers at every opportunity, that’s not my style of politics.”

Yes, looks like someone is set on stealing the FG clothes. I'm sure Brendan Griffin TD & Senators Tom Sheahan & Paul Coughlan won't be amused.
    Watch MHR use this as a fog to claim every filled pot-hole that occurs, as usual. Deja Vu, all over again!

Maiden Speeches

Fair play to Tom Fleming & Michael Healy-Rae for the way they handled their 1st day in the Dail yesterday. Getting speaking time on the nomination of Enda Kenny for Taoiseach, was a big coup for both of them - & their highlighting of the Aetna jobs threat in Castleisland was a sobering reminder of how immediate is the need for action to get the country back on track.

And, in contrast to some of the other more colourful indos, I thought they both hit the right note in terms of being respectful to the institution & keeping their maiden speeches short & to the point.

Frankly, I thought Joe Higgins & Boyd Barrett & Sinn Fein & Michael Martin too, took way too long to say nothing - just the same old grandstanding stuff - & I thought Michael Noonan's response around 7pm to the United Left Alliance & Sinn Fein was dead-on, when he asked them did they intend to be negative about everything or could they maybe for once try to find something contructive to contribute as well.
    Last edited by Plump And Dump; 10th March 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Tom Fleming's Maiden Speech in Dail

Tom Fleming (Kerry South, Independent):
    Comhghairdeas, a Cheann Comhairle. I wish you well in your term in office. As the outcome of this motion is clear, I offer Deputy Kenny, Deputy Gilmore and their team every success in tackling the enormous social and economic issues facing the country. Although, as an Independent, I will abstain on the motion, on reading the programme for government I broadly agree with many of the proposals and initiatives contained in the document. Such measures should have been implemented in recent years.

We need ethical and compassionate leadership. In that regard I seek the Government’s support in reversing some of the penal cuts in the previous budget. I refer, for example to cuts to the blind, the disabled, widows and carers, the proposed elimination of payments to fourth year student nurses, the imposition of a universal social charge at low levels of income, the increase in annual third level student registration fees to €2,000 and the abolition of tax relief for union subscriptions. In that regard the importance of association, in terms of representing various sections of society, cannot be underestimated. The point was driven home to me as recently as last night when I received an alarming telephone call from a constituent, an employee of the Aetna company in Castleisland, County Kerry to let me know that the workforce of 116 had been informed yesterday that the company was entering into a 30-day consultation process-----

Seán Barrett (Ceann Comhairle; Dún Laoghaire, Ceann Comhairle): I am sorry, but we are dealing with the nomination for Taoiseach.

-----regarding the existence of the company which has no union representation.

Seán Barrett (Ceann Comhairle; Dún Laoghaire, Ceann Comhairle):I am sorry, but the Deputy cannot raise those matters now.

The demise of the company would be a disaster for the entire area, for County Kerry, for the workforce and the local economy. I seek that the new Minister for enterprise and employment who will be appointed today would intervene-----

Seán Barrett (Ceann Comhairle; Dún Laoghaire, Ceann Comhairle): Please. We cannot deal with the matter now.

-----immediately-----

Seán Barrett (Ceann Comhairle; Dún Laoghaire, Ceann Comhairle):I am sorry but I will have to rule the Deputy out of order.

Tom Fleming (Kerry South, Independent):-----and enter into negotiation with the American-based company. I will pursue the matter with the Taoiseach before this evening is out. This is a serious matter-----

Seán Barrett (Ceann Comhairle; Dún Laoghaire, Ceann Comhairle):I appreciate that but now is not the time for it.

-----for our county and country. We cannot stand idly by.
    Last edited by Mary Contrary; 11th March 2011 at 06:20 PM.

ya

xfgbz

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment