Register to Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrIreland
    Conor Cruise's record and reputation far exceeds that of Fisks.

Yes, in very, very many ways.........especially in the Congo
    Not sure what your laughing at to be honest. His record in Katanga was well appreciated by the emerging African political leadership, as was evidenced by his subsequent appointment to, I think as Chancellor to the University of Ghana. Especially, at a stage when Nkrumah's head has yet to be turned by power politics, and wealth.

With regards to Katanga, the UN mission there in the first place was a disgrace, a particularly poor attempt to repress a legitimate excercise in self-determination by a population that were not particularly keen to be ruled by a government which insisted on a strong central government, in a country lacking any form of ethnic or culutural unity, which was as far from them, as Athens is to us.

However, given that that was not the concern of Conor Cruise, he did a good job given his mandate, and was let down by, in retrospect all too familiar, failure of UN leadership.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    Not to mention his eternal political flip-flopping - last spotted as Bob McCartney's beeyatch in the UKUP, as I recall?
    Can't really see Bob Fisk EVER getting that loopy and confused to be honest.
    And as for Lord Sir Bruce Arnold...
    Can't he just be shipped to Hemel Hempstead where he clearly belongs?
    100% in agreement, JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll

Not sure what your laughing at to be honest. His record in Katanga was well appreciated by the emerging African political leadership, as was evidenced by his subsequent appointment to, I think as Chancellor to the University of Ghana. Especially, at a stage when Nkrumah's head has yet to be turned by power politics, and wealth.

With regards to Katanga, the UN mission there in the first place was a disgrace, a particularly poor attempt to repress a legitimate excercise in self-determination by a population that were not particularly keen to be ruled by a government which insisted on a strong central government, in a country lacking any form of ethnic or culutural unity, which was as far from them, as Athens is to us.

However, given that that was not the concern of Conor Cruise, he did a good job given his mandate, and was let down by, in retrospect all too familiar, failure of UN leadership.
    Were you ever in the Congo, JJ......I was.

Were you ever in the Congo, JJ......I was.
    And relevance to that is?

Would you mind explaining what your thought was so humourous about Conor Cruise O'Brien's stint in Katanga?

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll

BTW, JJ.......do I need to give you an account of why I laugh. Grow up

I remember Fisk on the Late late show trying to make out that if the coalition left Iraq, peace would break out - oh yeah !!

The people behind the Lannan Foundation's website have finally got the finger out * and have posted that satellite link audio of Robert “the barred?” Fisk with Democracy Now's, currently on America's terra firma, Amy Goodman.

Well worth a listen to the audio, with perhaps the reading(1) first then the conversation, before anything else is said ,

See below,

http://www.lannan.org/lf/rc/event/robert-fisk/

Reading, September 21, 2005
    http://www.lannan.org/audio/lannan/robe ... 1-read.ram

Conversation with Amy Goodman, September 21, 2005
    http://www.lannan.org/audio/lannan/robe ... 1-conv.ram

-------
    * It's a “family foundation dedicated to cultural freedom, diversity and creativity through projects which support exceptional contemporary artists and writers, as well as inspired Native activists in rural indigenous communities” which seems to mean “we're expected to be ************************e and layed back at websites”. Anyway they say they're improving their response time and the site's layout so, gloves on.......for now

1) The Great War for Civilisation : The Conquest of the Middle East, a reading of an excerpt of his last encounter with OBL in a CIA built mountain camp in Afghanistan. Unlike a lot of these readings it's well read.

Re: Robert Fisk Refused Entry to US

Quote Originally Posted by Pax
    U.S. immigration officials have refused Robert Fisk entry to board a plane from Toronto to Denver because apparently his papers were not in order. Fisk was on his way to Santa Fe for a sold-out appearance in the Lannan Foundation 's readings-and-conversations series Wednesday night. Christie Mazuera Davis, a Lannan program officer, made last-minute arrangements Wednesday for Democracy Now!, to interview Fisk via satellite from a television station in Toronto..." A recording of this satellite interview will soon be available on the Lannan Foundation's website.

So Galloway is allowed in but the less hamstrung Fisk is not. Hmmm....

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/32812.html

And,
    http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle ... temID=8800
    U.S. BARS ROBERT FISK FROM ENTERING COUNTRY
    by Doug Ireland

September 23, 2005...
    Pax, I lived and travelled to the US a lot. Immigration papers HAVE to be in order if you want admission and officials are only doing their jobs. The same applies virtually throughout the world.
    Not true here anyway as thousands upon thousands of immigrants have arrived here with no papers whatsoever in recent years and have been allowed in.

ChrIreland, you're mixing him up with Roger Casement, you silly!

I have a great deal of respect for Robert Fisk, having read his pieces in the Independent for many years, and have never in al of tat time read anythhing remotely anti-American, though he is anti-Bush, he is not rabid or raving, as the Boozer tends to be withhis hate figuers. He is at all times rational and thoughtful.

I believe a very similar barring came abuot, from Canada to the US, for the man who edited 'Eye Witness: Bloody Sunday' [exactly what it says on the tin, if you have never heard of it]also on his way to a speaking engagement- or a series of them. I don't recall his name. His papers musn't have been in order either,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment