Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

'Bertie Money' and CAB

Did anyone see Dirty Money last night about Rambo and Keating? It seems Burke made a tax settlement of only 600k with CAB despite seemingly having hundreds of thousands more unaccounted for when CAB went after him.

I was under the impression CAB could take any monies unexplained/unexplainable, not just the tax owed on them? Also if this is the case, will they be able to take the unexplained Bertie amounts? How does it all work - anyone?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

well going by that programme last night, nobody would be aware of a CAB investigation on Ahern until they would decide to make a public move, he might well be under investigation right now. Considering he hasn't been tax compliant for over half of his political career it would surprise (going on last night) if there wasn't already an investigation from CAB.

<Mod>Moved to the Justice forum.</Mod>

Well it would seem that there is an onus on them to investigate him. it just seemed odd last night that despite the huge amounts of money that the Tribunal judged Burke to have wrongly received from developers, all he had to pay was 600k to CAB. (Excluding his legal costs for the Trib which obviously bankrupted him but were separate to CAB's role). Just wonder what we could expect if CAB do follow-up Bertie

I also saw last night that Burke was footed with 10.5 million for the amount of time he wasted at the tribunal, I can only assume that Ahern and he cronies will be footed with something similar.

Well it only seems fair that they investigate him. Nobody should be able to have huge amounts of unexplainable money sloshing around their accounts whilst serving as Finance Minister and then taoiseach.

I hope to god they do. it'll send a clear message to any upcoming politicians thinking of doing the same that one they they'll be caught stealing.

yeah hadn't thought that far but that's true, he prob will have to cover his own costs. Tim "I can't remember"-"I don't know"-"I have no explanation"-"Who me?" Collins certainly should have to.

For those who did not see the program, its will be repeated tonight on TV3 at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by markeys
    Well it only seems fair that they investigate him. Nobody should be able to have huge amounts of unexplainable money sloshing around their accounts whilst serving as Finance Minister and then taoiseach.

I hope to god they do. it'll send a clear message to any upcoming politicians thinking of doing the same that one they they'll be caught stealing.
    yup it was pretty encouraging

Maybe for Briargate one could read Beresford....

It was a very good programme.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment