Register to Comment
Page 23 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Like Tree727Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Davison View Post
    That's because the rest of them aren't around yet or are being very careful to stay away. And yes most of the saner posters seem to be on here. Thanks goodness.

For those really interested:

In Ireland, a man can actually confess to rape and still serve no time in prison

Amongst other findings, the report highlights the fact that only one in ten victims of sexual crime in Ireland reports that crime. Of that one in ten, only 7% secures a conviction. So of 100 victims of sexual crime, only 10 report that crime. Barely one victim from that 100 will see their attacker pay for their crimes.

Less than 1% of victims of sexual crime in Ireland get justice. With that in mind, itís hard not to wonder exactly what message the courts think they send to victims of sexual crime when lenient sentences are handed down.
    Bogus figures.

Quote Originally Posted by *EPIC SUCCESS* View Post
    So you would deny a voice to victims and their families?
    Yes. Judges dispense sentences. What we have with VIS is whoever gives the biggest sob story can increase the sentence. What he did was wrong but sleeping with a knife under the pillow? Sounds concocted to me. Also VIS tend to favour articulate middle class types as opposed to people from working class backgrounds who may not have the articulacy needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny's Soldier View Post
    I've been deliberately provocative to invoke a response.. I don't stand over anything I've said on this forum ever but if I am to be honest, I know loads of people who had sex with their girlfriends without protection against their girlfriends wishes.

I bet the court was full of people who could easily have been in the exact same situation if their partner at the time got sour and went to the law.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    The understanding was no Johnny, no penetration. Stopping after the fact is irelevant.
    So if he did it for 5 seconds until told to stop, 3 1/2 years in jail is an appropriate punishment? Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    3.5 years in jail seems like a very harsh punishment.
    It was rape. She said no when if refused to use a condom, so then he raped her - doesn't really seem 'harsh' enough to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    So if he did it for 5 seconds until told to stop, 3 1/2 years in jail is an appropriate punishment? Ok.
    Rape is rape. The length of time the rape went on for is utterly irrelevant.

Some of the attitudes on display on this thread are deeply troubling...

Scenario 1.
    Her: Don't have sex with me without a condom
    Him: OK

Outcome- No conviction for rape.

Scenario 2
    Her: Don't have sex with me without a condom
    Him: No, I want to stick my dick in you for a little bit without a condom even though you've said no to that.

Outcome - Conviction for rape.

It really isn't that difficult for normal people to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Rape is rape. The length of time the rape went on for is utterly irrelevant.

Some of the attitudes on display on this thread are deeply troubling...
    Now that you've signalled your virtue, do you think that that if he penetrated her for a few seconds and stopped immediately she told him to, that 3 1/2 years in jail is a just punishment?

Now that you've signalled your virtue, do you think that that if he penetrated her for a few seconds and stopped immediately she told him to, that 3 1/2 years in jail is a just punishment?
    And there's the sign, if it were needed, that you're not dealing with a rational person, Rainmaker.

She told him explicitly not to penetrate her without a condom before he did so. He had a choice not to do it then, which he opted to ignore.

Yet you make out that she's the vindictive party. It's utterly incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    And there's the sign, if it were needed, that you're not dealing with a rational person, Rainmaker.
    you are a mentally ill homosexual you have no room to talk about rational people

Yes, it's rape, technically anyway. But if he stopped immediately she asked him to, it seems to me quite vindictive of her to bring this case. The punishment seems very harsh to me, but given that it's rape I presume the judge couldn't apply any lighter one.
    Stopping a rape just after you start doesn't turn back time. She said no, he did anyway, now he is a convicted rapist.

Why do you feel women who rightly report a rape to be vindictive?

What punishment do you feel is necessary - do you think we should instigate a certain type of Saudi law and whip the woman?

Page 23 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment