Register to Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Statistically that means about 60 drivers who should be off the road are still driving.

It would be fascinating to see if any of these drivers have injured anyone AFTER the points were cancelled - a real case for a criminal or civil prosecution.

Given the significance of that the "financial" incentive to the guard is probably huge - I'm sure he/she didn't do it out of compassion and kindness...I'd say 744 points buys a lot of "favours".
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Pollys View Post
    If you're a Garda and you see wrongdoing you know what you're supposed to do now......
    AGS not really fit for purpose.

Between the breath tests and the penalty points it's fair to say there's a big enough cohort of senior Gardai that are open for busness and are prepared to go to great lengths to make sure business stays good.

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    GSOC has reported that one senior member of the Garda Siochana cancelled 744 penalty points notice in 17 counties--this is some record--should the Garda concerned be given the Scott medal.

Is he or she still a serving member--have they anything to say for themselves?
    I don't want to second-guess the GSOC's research, but I suspect what they have actually found is that 744 cancelled penalty points notices were linked to one Garda's account. I wonder whether they can categorically state (or prove) that the said Garda had input all of the cancellations by him (or her) self. Especially given the claim that the login details of retired members of the force were often used.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    I don't want to second-guess the GSOC's research, but I suspect what they have actually found is that 744 cancelled penalty points notices were linked to one Garda's account. I wonder whether they can categorically state (or prove) that the said Garda had input all of the cancellations by him (or her) self. Especially given the claim that the login details of retired members of the force were often used.
    https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/news-r...file&file=2391

You don't have to. Read the actual report.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Guardian View Post
    https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/news-r...file&file=2391

You don't have to. Read the actual report.
    Will certainly do. Thanks for that.

NAMAwinelake‏
    @namawinelake
    Follow Follow @namawinelake

Another great day for trust in the Gardai: report on the wrongful cancellation of speeding tickets acknowledges largescale historical problem, but says it would be too expensive to investigate further. And anyway, many of the Gardai are now retired!
    https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/news-r...ons-2009-2014/

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The Garda Traffic Corp need to be broken away from AGS and turned into a separate traffic police. Ministerial control of AGS needs to be transferred to a NI style Policing Board.
    Yes. There certainly needs to be more than police force in the State. (Northern Ireland is part of the UK and so other UK police forces sometimes investigate and make arrests there.)

GSOC has reported that one senior member of the Garda Siochana cancelled 744 penalty points notice in 17 counties--this is some record--should the Garda concerned be given the Scott medal.

He was probably just a cat's paw; some old-timer who could be relied on to do as he was told,

It's highly unlikely that senior officers would ever have cancelled any tickets themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    You would wonder about that report alright , can you be that incompetent or careless that you miss so much. And only for McCabe was able via politicians to get more evidence into the public domain that would have been the end of it and on foot of that report we would more that likely still have the same situation going on today.
    It was still going on after the investigation was started , we where told only 3 people could wipe them , that must have been Chico Harpo and Groucho

I wouldn't give a sh1t if I knew justice would be done and the culprits would all get their peno's anyway.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment