Register to Comment
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Keith Harrison and Marissa Simms allegations "entirely without any validity"

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, but it's a very serious finding and shows, as one might expect, that not all whistleblowers are the same as McCabe.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017...ures-tribunal/

http://www.disclosurestribunal.ie/en...)%20report.pdf

While there is indeed public disquiet arising from other matters, and the treatment of Sergeant Maurice McCabe is the urgent focus of this tribunal, it must be commented, as to the functioning of our police force and the response of social services, that this series of issues raised by Garda Keith Harrison and Marisa Simms has been enquired into in detail and a positive picture has emerged.
    There have been many committed public servants who gave evidence in this matter and the impression given has been one of devotion to duty and determination to do the right thing. Thus, in any public discussion of this matter, it should also be remembered that in policing and in social services in Ireland there are plenty of people
    who diligently turn up for their jobs and do a real day of work with humanity and with skill.
    Those serving in the gardaí in Donegal demonstrated seriousness and genuine concern in the context of domestic violence allegations. There was no break down in the garda command structure. Instead, allegations were treated seriously , properly reported up the line and diligently pursued.
    No, get the focus back where it needs to be.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Am I being overly cynical to think the timing of this suits a managed message that whistle blowers aren't all saints?

MMcC has been waiting a decade to get justice and justice will mean real questions for AGS and the state at large...Harrison popped up no more than a few months ago and already he's been dismissed as a trouble maker with a grudge.

Interesting timing and interesting message manipulation.

What I think this shows is that Charleton will cut through the chaff and his judgment can be trusted in this. I think he has shown an ability to see through self-serving waffle and this shows why he was the right person for this role.

If Charleton backs McCabe all the way, I'm assuming that all the naysayers will show as much support as they are doing today.

Conversely, if he blows McCabe out of the water, so be it.

I think the timing is just coincidental , listening to his and his partners testimony at the time the findings are not very surprising , they did not come across as the most reliable of witness's.

Interesting that Charlton has decided to deal with this completely separately and release this interim report so soon and get it out of the way , I assume this is so it does not deflect from the McCabe case where the evidence we have heard so far with regards Tusla etc seems to have far more substance than anything we heard in the Harrison module.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post
    What I think this shows is that Charleton will cut through the chaff and his judgment can be trusted in this. I think he has shown an ability to see through self-serving waffle and this shows why he was the right person for this role.

If Charleton backs McCabe all the way, I'm assuming that all the naysayers will show as much support as they are doing today.

Conversely, if he blows McCabe out of the water, so be it.
    I expect McCabe to be fully vindicated and that should be the end of the naysayers.

The report is remarkably thorough, it has to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    I think the timing is just coincidental , listening to his and his partners testimony at the time the findings are not very surprising , they did not come across as the most reliable of witness's.

Interesting that Charlton has decided to deal with this completely separately and release this interim report so soon and get it out of the way , I assume this is so it does not deflect from the McCabe case where the evidence we have heard so far with regards Tusla etc seems to have far more substance than anything we heard in the Harrison module.
    I'd argue that it's not a coincidence at all, that it was scheduled as it was to demonstrate that "whistle blowing" isn't the exclusive preserve of the good guys, so now people may be more conditioned to hear bad news about McCabe without immediately taking his side.

I think it was done cynically and negatively and now beginning to wonder about the objectivity....it will be interesting to see how the McCabe module goes now that the cherry has been popped.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, but it's a very serious finding and shows, as one might expect, that not all whistleblowers are the same as McCabe.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017...ures-tribunal/

http://www.disclosurestribunal.ie/en...)%20report.pdf

No, get the focus back where it needs to be.
    Not to be pedantic, stats, but although he is a whistle-blower, my understanding is that the matters which he blew the whistle on, have not yet been tested; rather, this was an investigation into a complaint/accusation about treatment.

Who knows what level of paranoia a whistle-blower might feel about actions subsequent to blowing the whistle, in the environment we find ourselves. Indeed, it seems that KH saw what happened to McCabe (re the Tusla file, etc.) and determined that he was subject to something similar.
    Last edited by ShoutingIsLeadership; 1st December 2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Not to be pedantic, stats, but although he is a whistle-blower, my understanding is that the matters which he blew the whistle on, have no yet been tested; rather, this was an investigation into a complaint/accusation about treatment.

Who knows what level of paranoia a whistle-blower might feel about actions subsequent to blowing the whistle, in the environment we find ourselves. Indeed, it seems that KH saw what happened to McCabe (re the Tusla file, etc.) and determined that he was subject to something similar.
    Or, he was just flinging mud. That's how I'd read 'entirely without any validity'.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Not to be pedantic, stats, but although he is a whistle-blower, my understanding is that the matters which he blew the whistle on, have no yet been tested; rather, this was an investigation into a complaint/accusation about treatment.

There I agree with you completely. Poisonous atmospheres breed paranoia. I suppose we'll have to wait and see if there was anything in Harrison's original complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    I expect McCabe to be fully vindicated and that should be the end of the naysayers.

The report is remarkably thorough, it has to be said.
    For McCabe to be vindicated (and don't get me wrong - I both believe and hope he will) there will be a lot of people with serious questions to answer.

AGS, Tusla, 3 MoJs, etc. - we've never learned who was getting penalty points written off - how many of them should have been off the road, did any cause accidents subsequently, etc.

It will seem somehow hollow if McCabe is exonerated but there's no follow through on the flip side - the incompetence, collusion and corruption of the agents and agencies that tried to shut him down and discredit him.

I'd imagine the state won't share our enthusiasm for McCabe getting justice.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment