Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Fianna Fail wants selectively to reopen rural garda stations to prevent rural crime. Inspired by Minister Shane Ross's stroke?

Presumably in closing swathes of garda stations, the garda management was attempting to optimise crime fighting capacity by substituting highly mobile garda patrol cars for immobile rural garda stations in place since the 19th century Royal Irish Constabulary on bicycles. Statistics released about a decade ago showed that the dispersion of gardai by county was often poorly related to population change, thanks to the bias in favour of staffing the old established stations.

Naturally, the locals living within a few miles of closed rural stations were concerned by the loss of the constant visible presence of the gardai in areas hit by increasing rural crime, especially crimes committed by gangs exploiting the expanded motorway networks. The response time of gardai to emergency calls has likely increased in remote rural areas, to the point that in many cases a thirty minutes response gives criminals time for a planned escape.

The solution to slow response times isn't Fianna Fail's proposal for reopening labour intensive garda stations to help selected locals as in the dubious reopening of the station in Minister Shane Ross's constituency, however; Garda labour isn't cheap at an average for the force of 68,000 euro a year plus a pension entitlement costing about 40,000 per year served , so each garda costs as much as half a dozen McJobs workers.

The solution is to increase the number of patrol cars which with hand held computers can operate as efficiently as a garda station. To reassure the public, patrol cars along with California style "cycle cops" on bicycles should make their presence felt in selected locations of closed garda stations. The relatively mild Irish climate is suited to gardai on bicycles who could cover more ground than on foot patrols and could interact with the people on their routes more easily than in patrol cars.
    Last edited by Patslatt1; 22nd November 2017 at 01:55 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

You are stark raving mad
    but I suppose it's a distraction from the dept of justice shambles

Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    You are stark raving mad
    but I suppose it's a distraction from the dept of justice shambles
    Analysis is beyond Analyser.

Would it not be cheaper just to let the 'RA handle it?

Good idea to reopen all the Garda stations.

It would help to keep them off the streets...

No-one can trust crime statistics any more after the fake statistics scandal. So when some argue Garda stations have no bearing on crime rates I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    No-one can trust crime statistics any more after the fake statistics scandal. So when some argue Garda stations have no bearing on crime rates I disagree.
    The senior management positions were reserved until very recently for sworn gardai instead of civilians with actual IT experience and management. An IT consultant told me about 15 years ago that among his clients, the gardai were the most difficult to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    The senior management positions were reserved until very recently for sworn gardai instead of civilians with actual IT experience and management. An IT consultant told me about 15 years ago that among his clients, the gardai were the most difficult to deal with.
    Well now there's a surprise.

I remember back in the eighties being in a Policía Nacional station receiving my Permiso de Residencia in Vitoria-Gasteiz. There was a young policeman typing up the card (with two fingers), an older one telling him how to do it (including pointing out where the keys were) and an other yet older one in the background, supervising.

It seemed to me then, and still seems to me now, that the Templemore training curriculum is international.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Well now there's a surprise.

I remember back in the eighties being in a Policía Nacional station receiving my Permiso de Residencia in Vitoria-Gasteiz. There was a young policeman typing up the card (with two fingers), an older one telling him how to do it (including pointing out where the keys were) and an other yet older one in the background, supervising.

It seemed to me then, and still seems to me now, that the Templemore training curriculum is international.
    "Spanish Practices" is the phrase that applies to your experience.

I have yet to be persuaded how having the fat village cop stumbling out of the pub after closing time helps control crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment