Register to Comment
Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Naming of RTE Producer charged with under-age sex criminal

The Irish Independent reports:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36334309.html

And the Irish Times:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...girl-1.3297896

But neither paper names the person concerned. The Irish Mirror does name the person:
    RTE producer charged with 'attempting to engage or incite sexual activity with a girl under 16' - Irish Mirror Online

Can anyone explain why this is so?
    Last edited by petaljam; 20th November 2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Edited thread title
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Can't seem to fix typo in title.

Popcorn time!

The tabloids do what they can get away with but the broadsheets like to pretend to have a sense of responsibility. Cynicism aside it’s probably a tough call. Its good that he has been exposed but vigilanteism is very dangerous. I’m not sure how be can he charged given there was no victim. His punishment will be having his life and career destroyed. Is that justice? I don’t know.
    Last edited by Henry94.; 20th November 2017 at 09:30 AM.

Twitter
    @

The offence seems to have been detected in the UK (Leeds) where the person concerned flew to and was confronted, arrested and charged.

I don't think there is any restriction on reporting whether someone has been arrested and charged in the UK.

Not sure why the lack of naming in some Irish papers. Some lawyers at the papers doing the automatic Irish legal thing even though the charges are in the UK where there aren't the defamation dangers that exist in the Republic.

Although even in the case of the Republic I don't see why Irish newspapers cannot name the person concerned.

'Who, what, where, when, why' is relevant here in journalistic terms.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    The tabloids do what they can get away with but the broadsheets like to pretend to have a sense of responsibility. Cynicism aside it’s probably a tough call. Its good that he has been exposed but vigilanteism is very dangerous. I’m not sure how he can he charged given there was no victim. His punishment will be having his life and career destroyed. Is that justice? I don’t know.
    No vigilanteism here. It would be if a group of adults beat him up or something. But the police were involved here and he has been charged within the UK legal system.

If this guy did fly to Leeds to meet what he thought was a 13 year old girl then I for one don't have a lot of sympathy for his apparent plight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    The offence seems to have been detected in the UK (Leeds) where the person concerned flew to and was confronted, arrested and charged.

I don't think there is any restriction on reporting whether someone has been arrested and charged in the UK.

Not sure why the lack of naming in some Irish papers. Some lawyers at the papers doing the automatic Irish legal thing even though the charges are in the UK where there aren't the defamation dangers that exist in the Republic.

Although even in the case of the Republic I don't see why Irish newspapers cannot name the person concerned.

Its a disgusting crime. I'd prefer someone to be found guilty before plastering their names across the papers. If by some chance they are innocent, the damage done by naming them will never be repaired.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
    Its a disgusting crime. I'd prefer someone to be found guilty before plastering their names across the papers. If by some chance they are innocent, the damage done by naming them will never be repaired.
    That would be very dangerous in Ireland considering the ancient practice of finding ways to not find someone guilty. The Irish legal system is not known for its ability to either cross the t's or dot the i's when it comes to charging and securing convictions in this area.

After the Ryan Commission report it had false names given to criminals identified in abuse cases in order to 'prevent prejudice' in ensuing prosecutions.

Prosecutions which never actually came about. And which remains unexplained by the Irish legal system.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
    I'd be very interested to hear what alternative explanation this guy might have for arranging to meet a 13 year old girl in a city in another country without adult supervision or accompaniment (it appears).

'Research', I suppose?

Even producers have rules and guidelines for interaction with children during programme making.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post

Thanks for your post. You say "I don't think there is any restriction on reporting whether someone has been arrested and charged in the UK" - do you know if such a restriction exists in Ireland? On what is it based?

Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment