Register to Comment
Page 228 of 297 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 2968
Like Tree1130Likes

Quote Originally Posted by StarryPlough01 View Post
    It's reasonable notice. A wonderful idea. I want the survivors to be supported. Zatherine Capone has badly let down survivors. We now know Irish First Mothers Group and Tuam Home Survivors Network have both been re-traumatised and discarded by her.

Catherine Corless talks such BS to the media, and sounds to me like a sock puppet.
    Zatherine Capone!

I like it!

I'll match that with Catherine Clueless...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Very sad news.

Kathy McMahon Founder of Irish First Mothers has passed away suddenly. Our sympathy to her loved ones, Fintan Dunne and fellow advocates/Board members. Truly inspirational, Kathy addressed the Oireachtas per script below:

Opening Remarks to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and
    Children on the pre-legislative scrutiny on the Heads of the General
    Scheme of the Adoption (Information and Tracing) Bill 2015

By Kathy McMahon, Founder
    Irish First Mothers Group

Irish First Mothers
    [email protected]

My name is Kathy McMahon. I am an Irish ‘First Mother’.
    My first child was born in April 1974 after I spent 4 months in the Good Shepard Convent in Dunboyne Co Meath. I was aged 18. I nursed my child for 7 days. But on the day I was
    discharged from hospital a nurse took my infant daughter without warning. I was later
    forced to sanction her adoption. I did not see my daughter for another 28 years.
    In early 2014 I founded Irish First Mothers - a peer-to-peer mutual support group for
    women who had their children coercively placed for adoption. We have over 50 verified
    members, and we range in age from early 40's through to mid 70's. Most of us were
    incarcerated in so-called ‘Mother and Baby Homes’. Public discussion of this proposed
    legislation often references a 1998 Supreme Court judgment defending a right to
    confidentiality extended to us first mothers at the time our children were adopted. The
    heads of the Bill refer to this confidentiality issue.

I am here to advise this committee that us mothers never sought confidentially - and we
    were never offered confidentiality. Instead, us mothers were threatened to never attempt
    ourselves to make contact with our children. My own abiding memory of my incarceration
    in a Mother and Baby home was of other mothers screaming in anguish following the often forced removal of their babies. Our rights and welfare were not the paramount concern of those around us.

We can find no natural mother of an adopted person who was given confidentiality
    assurances. Thus we can advise that if a Supreme Court ruling relied on the existence of a cohort of women who were given special confidentiality assurances – the judgment may be moot because such a cohort of women does not exist. Legislators should therefore feel
    free to simply balance the general right to confidentiality with the general good - as is
    their right. The heads of the Bill also reference contact vetoes administered by means of a contact preference register. We oppose such vetoes. We estimate that around 98% of first mothers are open to reconnecting with their adopted children at some level.
    All of the mothers in our group who expressed an opinion are opposed to vetoes or
    excessive delays. Administration of a veto system will further delay the process of
    reunification for natural mothers - of whom many are elderly.

Bureaucratic delays have resulted in some cases in adult adopted people discovering their
    natural mother has died before they had an opportunity to meet. One mother experienced an 8 year delay in the exchange of information despite the fact that both she and her adult adopted child were searching and requesting information about each other simultaneously.

According to the annual report of Tusla, there were recently over one thousand people
    waiting for information and tracing services for historical adoptions. After a mass public
    awareness campaign the system would be under even more strain. Many first mothers also suffer psychological and physical consequences of past State practices in respect of
    adoption. Their situation can be greatly improved by fruitful reconnection, so a timely
    resolution of these traumatic adoption issues is in the public interest.

We favour streamlined administrative systems which allow applicants to automatically
    progress their own reconnections using telephone and/or online technology once their
    identity and qualification to seek information has been established. Even under existing ad hoc channels, the great majority of adoption reconnection cases are non-contentious and have favourable outcomes. So in a streamlined scheme, Tusla would only be involved
    where an applicant directly requests their assistance.

Furthermore, the state has little foundation for denying the human right to knowledge of
    family by imposing restrictions which could cause untimely delay in accessing information.

We should speedily facilitate the greatest number of fruitful reconnections for the greatest number of persons. In this regard our full submission details how the state of Victoria in Australia has just earlier this year passed the ‘Adoption Amendment Bill 2015’ which removes reference to ‘contact preferences’ from 2013 Adoption laws – without affecting a person’s right to register their contact wishes on Victoria’s Adoption Information Register. Supporting the 2015 Bill, Victoria MP, Sam Hibbins wrote:
    “[contact statements] set up yet another barrier to contact between natural parents and
    adopted children being re-established. It is not appropriate when we are dealing with two
    adults who want to regulate contact with each other. […] We should revert to the
    framework we had in place for 29 years where Victorian adults regulated contact between
    each other.”

This recent international law experience shows it is best legislative practice to avoid
    including discriminatory contact vetoes in laws affecting parties to adoption.
    In conclusion, unresolved adoption and adoption reconnection issues affect mental health.

So the common good is served by law with a public health bias which supports and
    encourages the process of adoption reconnection and educates on how to achieve
    reconciliation.
    A good law would be one which produce
    s the favourable public health outcome of many
    fruitful reconnections arising from the legislation.
    Let us in conclusion quote President Michael D Higgins, who said:
    “where the State has been responsible,
    the State has to take responsibility…

Let us discharge our responsibilities to provide citizens with their rightful heritage:
    timely and full access to their birthright of personal information.
    Thank You.
    RIP Kathy.

https://webarchive.oireachtas.ie/par...st-mothers.pdf

It's devastating news for Kathy's family, Irish First Mothers Group, friends and colleagues. Kathy's principled advocacy on behalf of survivors will be a tremendous loss.

I had read on Kathy's Twitter account a week ago that she was going to Geneva, and was looking forward to seeing her grandson for some fun.

RIP

Kevin J Battle was born William Sheehy in July 1958 at Sean Ross Abbey in Roscrea

Toddler William was stolen from the arms of his mother Catherine

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/05/...-stolen-child/

By Penelope Overton Staff Writer

Kevin Battle was a baby when church officials raided his family home in Ireland and plucked him from the arms of his mother, an unmarried 24-year-old who had run away from the convent where she and hundreds of other Irish girls were sent to give birth to secret children.

After raising the boy she named William for more than a year, his mother [Catherine Sheehy] couldn’t bear to give him up, so she grabbed her chubby-cheeked boy and escaped home to her family in County Limerick.

But the nuns [Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary] had plans for the boy, so they tracked down the mother and child and forcefully reclaimed him.

Within weeks of seizing the baby, the Catholic Church sold him to an Irish couple in New York grieving the death of their own infant.

The price? A $1,000 donation to the church.

In 1978, Battle traveled with his adoptive mother and a friend to Ireland. He journeyed out to the abbey, hoping to persuade a kindly nun to dig up his records and tell him something about his mother. But the nun who answered the door ran the former resident off.

“I went up, knocked on the door, told the woman who answered who I was, that I’d come from America but that I’d been born there and could she tell me about my mother,” he recalled. “She told me, ‘You are not welcome here, go away,’ and slammed the door. I couldn’t believe it.”

Fintan Dunne is the media liaison and political advisor for Irish First Mothers, a group of more than 70 women, who were incarcerated pregnant and single in Ireland's state-run Mother and Baby Homes in the later 1900's. The group has filed formal genocide charges against the Irish Attorney General over their systematic treatment. An official judicial report is due before Feb. 2019.

Irish Elites Deploy Adoptees, Academics As Shield Against Unwed Mothers

By Fintan Dunne - April 23, 2018

6) Katherine Zappone Stacks the Political Deck

You can add Katherine Zappone to the list of those who have never met with First Mothers -despite the fact that her two ministerial predecessors in the Department had invited the group to consult over legislation and despite her political perspective as a feminist. No Irish feminist group has ever offered support, by the way.

Ahead of the final report of the Commission of Investigation, Minister Katherine Zappone announced the formation of a consensus-based Collaborative Forum - supposedly to involve those affected in shaping the Government response prior to the Commission's final report due before February, 2019. A selection panel would pick the members of the Forum.

Yet again, adopted persons and academics formed the majority of the selection panel:

Ms Clodagh Malone Coalition of Mother and Baby Homes Survivors
    Ms Mari Steed Adoption Rights Alliance (based in USA)
    Dr James Gallen Dublin City University
    Prof Patricia Lundy Ulster University
    Ms Teresa Blake SC Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission
    Mr Fintan Dunne Irish First Mothers

Ms Malone and Ms Steed are adopted persons. I was a sole voice for mothers interests. By the second meeting of the panel, the offer of consensus had turned into an inflexible government agenda and debate was shut down. I resigned forthwith at the start of the second meeting.

If legislators and bureaucrats were better informed they might realize that adopted people are often conflicted in their attitudes to First Mothers - exhibiting either conscious or unconscious hostility arising from feelings of abandonment. Inclusion of adopted persons in state structures overseeing the welfare of so-called birth mothers is therefore ill advised. But such a level of nuanced understanding by a department of government is rare. Especially if they refuse to meet with those at the coal face who are better informed.

Susan Lohan [Adoption Rights Alliance] in my presence, after Kathy McMahon had spoken of the need for redress for mothers remarked: "what would mothers want redress for?"

One can only speculate on the reasons underlying that remark. But it might be a class bias. Because another wrinkle is that adopted infants went quite disproportionately into wealthier families; whereas the victims of forced adoption were easier prey if from a lower social class. Many of the illegally taken infants went to judges, lawyers, doctors, business leaders and others socially advantaged. The groups with power in society today.

To directly answer Ms Lohan, *mothers might want redress for illegal incarceration; forced removal of infants; lifelong trauma; ongoing PTSD and diminished life potentia*l.

But, rather ominously Judge Murphy's interim report made no finding of harm in respect of mothers. As if harm to the mothers can only be adjudged in the limited form of physical abuse or neglect in the homes under scrutiny. Perhaps a judge a score years younger would have been a better choice to lead this Commission.

Irish Elites Deploy Adoptees, Academics As Shield Against Unwed Mothers

PROMISING PRACTICE: ADOPTION RIGHTS ALLIANCE AND THE PHILOMENA PROJECT IN IRELAND AND THE USA

Susan Lohan, Co-founder, Claire McGettrick, Co-founder, Angela Murphy, Co-founder, Mari Steed, US Coordinator and Edel Byrne, Northern Ireland Coordinator, discuss how they established an advocacy hub for ethical adoptions in Ireland and the USA. Adoption Rights Alliance (ARA) 319 is a purely voluntary advocacy

Houses of the Oireachtas have redesigned their website. Take a tour. You can download PDFs of daily debates...

https://www.oireachtas.ie/

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...ebateType=dail

Normal View ~

The old website had archives of debates going back years.

Senator Lynn Ruane pays special tribute to Kathy McMahon

SENATOR LYNN RUANE PAYS RESPECTFUL TRIBUTE TO KATHY MCMAHON, FOUNDER OF IRISH FIRST MOTHERS

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates.../2018-05-17/6/

Seanad Éireann debate -

Thursday, 17 May 2018

Order of Business

Senator Lynn Ruane

I wanted to come in today to say a few words about a woman I met about three years ago. Her name was Kathy McMahon. I only learned yesterday of her passing.

She would have been familiar to some Senators and Deputies in recent years for founding the organisation Irish First Mothers, which has been campaigning relentlessly for survivors of mother and baby homes and women put up for forced adoption. She died unexpectedly on a trip to Geneva in the past couple of days. She was a very strong, working-class woman who advocated for women who had been failed by the State in the generations before mine. She opened my eyes to my situation when, three years ago, she asked me to speak to her Irish First Mothers group. It became apparent that if I had been born in the generation before mine, I could have found myself as a teenage mother in the same position as the members of the group. Seeing my rise to success through education at Trinity College made her happy that a young mother could achieve so much but it also made her extremely sad that women like her never had the chance to be the kind of mother that I was allowed to be to my daughter at such a young age.

Senator Catherine Noone

Senator Ruane paid tribute to Kathy McMahon, who by all accounts was a fantastic advocate for mothers, babies and women in this country. May she also rest in peace.

PDF
    https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireac.../[email protected]/main.pdf

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...2018-05-16/18/

Dáil Éireann debate -

Wednesday, 16 May 2018

Questions on Promised Legislation

Deputy Micheál Martin

In the context of the recent CervicalCheck scandal and litigation, the Government has been at pains to point out that it does not wish to take an adversarial approach to victims of State institutions. However, I recently met the Minister for Education and Skills, Deputy Richard Bruton, to discuss the cases of Mr. John Allen and a number of other men from Limerick who had been pursuing the Government for access to the redress scheme in the context of child abuse in primary schools.

These are individuals about whom there is no issue in terms of their having been abused in primary schools. The paedophiles concerned have been convicted by the criminal justice system and are in prison. Louise O'Keeffe had to go the whole way to the European Court of Human Rights to get justice in her case, and I hasten to add, previous Governments of which I was a member were wrong in that respect. We are now on the cusp of John Allen and others having to go back again to the European Court of Human Rights to get access to the redress scheme. They have been to the High Court and the Supreme Court and they have been harassed the whole way by the State and threatened with costs. In the midst of all the justifiable angst all week, meanwhile, parallel to all of that, the UCC legal department and others are assisting these victims of abuse because of a very limited interpretation-----

An Ceann Comhairle

The Deputy is way in excess of the time allocated to him.

Deputy Micheál Martin

-----by the Government of the Louise O'Keeffe judgment in terms of prior complaint. Standing back from it the Minister must know this is morally wrong, that we are going to force these men to go all the way to Europe to get clarification on the Louise O'Keeffe decision because of the Government's adversarial approach.

Minister for Education and Skills (Deputy Richard Bruton)

The position is that as a result of the Louise O'Keeffe case and the subsequent ruling the Government set up an ex gratia payment scheme to make payments to people who were in a similar category to her. People have applied to the scheme and some have been successful while others have been refused. I have appointed an independent assessor, Mr. Justice Iarfhlaith O'Neill, who will independently assess applications that have been refused and where people appeal. I understand he is currently assessing both the case made to him and by the State as to whether those refusals were validly made. He is assessing that information and we are awaiting his decisions.

PDF ~
    https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireac.../[email protected]/main.pdf

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...2018-05-16/18/

Dáil Éireann debate -

Wednesday, 16 May 2018

Questions on Promised Legislation

Deputy Gino Kenny

Kenny Tynan is a father of four from Roscommon who has been diagnosed with brain cancer. He is treating his condition with medicinal cannabis. A number of weeks ago the Customs and Excise seized his medication which is prescribed by a doctor in Spain.

Noreen O'Neill is a mother of one from Kerry who has pleaded for the Government to provide access to medicinal cannabis for her son Michael who has been *treated with ten anticonvulsant drugs without success*.

In January she began to administer CBD oil to her son and *in the space of three days he became seizure-free*. She said CBD oil has done what 13 months of treatment involving ten anticonvulsants has failed to do. Kenny and Noreen are not the only ones in this situation. People in this State have been forced to emigrate, go public, go to the black market and to break the law. Medicinal cannabis, which I have in my hand, is what it is all about. The Government has issued seven licences for the product. For some it is medicine while for others it is illegal.

An Ceann Comhairle

The Deputy's time is up.

Deputy Gino Kenny

The law is completely broken on this issue. It is up to the Government to legislate on the issue. If the Government does not legislate it will let down thousands of people that are using this medicine.

Deputy Richard Bruton

It is my understanding that the Minister has made arrangements whereby if a medical consultant indicates that such medication would be appropriate that it will be made available. He has simplified the regime in that regard. He has not made a commitment to introduce new legislation that I know of.

Deputy Gino Kenny

What about our Bill?

Deputy Richard Bruton

It is my understanding that in any case where there is a medical indication and it is endorsed by the patient's consulting doctor the treatment is made available.

Deputy Gino Kenny

I wrote to the Minister and he has not come back to me.

Deputy Richard Bruton

I will get the Minister to confirm exactly the basis on which a person can get access but that is my understanding of the position.

Quote Originally Posted by StarryPlough01 View Post
    Houses of the Oireachtas have redesigned their website. Take a tour. You can download PDFs of daily debates...

https://www.oireachtas.ie/

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/

Normal View ~

The old website had archives of debates going back years.
    Are you saying you can no longer look up Historical Debates?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment