Register to Comment
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Felixness View Post
    There are lots of newspaper articles about African women being trafficked to Europe after being conned into believing they were going to well paid jobs, then they find themselves being forced to work as prostitutes. I've read articles about how many of the pregnant Nigerian mothers on those boats in the Med are pregnant as a result of being gang raped on their way to be forced to work as prostitutes in Europe, our navy is facilitating that.

I'm not going to link articles, people can Google it and see the horror for themselves. People believe the promises of the traffickers and they will come so long as they continue to be ferried in by navies.
    There are lots of newspaper articles about African women being trafficked to Europe after being conned into believing they were going to well paid jobs, then they find themselves being forced to work as prostitutes.\\Conned my backside! I'll bet they are well aware of the"deal". When they are caught it's easy for them to claim they have been trafficked.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterdam View Post
    There are lots of newspaper articles about African women being trafficked to Europe after being conned into believing they were going to well paid jobs, then they find themselves being forced to work as prostitutes.\\Conned my backside! I'll bet they are well aware of the"deal". When they are caught it's easy for them to claim they have been trafficked.
    Check out the benefits of claiming they were trafficked. Permanent Residence instantly.

That's good but the problem remains that being refused asylum does not mean bon voyage it means appeals and 'leave to remain' which is basically a judge gushing out a lifetime of welfare for the lucky winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Von Horn View Post
    There are still bogus people getting through. Fortunately the Judicial Review route is being closed down too. Bravo Frances with more improvements to come.
    There will always be exceptions. As long as its minimal, should be fine.

Before you folks settle into your usual xenophobic circlejerk, I'll just point out that the OP might just as easily be evidence that our system is overly harsh, refusing a large number of people who should be granted asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    That's good but the problem remains that being refused asylum does not mean bon voyage it means appeals and 'leave to remain' which is basically a judge gushing out a lifetime of welfare for the lucky winner.
    Just because you might prefer to be on welfare rather than working, that doesn't mean that the same is true of the average asylum seeker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Before you folks settle into your usual xenophobic circlejerk, I'll just point out that the OP might just as easily be evidence that our system is overly harsh, refusing a large number of people who should be granted asylum.
    The assessments are being conducted by those with far greater access to information than you or I. If you have fact based evidence to show that those in need of asylum were clearly refused unlawfully, then present it. There is also an appeals process which is designed to catch the exceptions that are wrongly assessed, so at least two shots of application.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixness View Post
    There was a story last year about some loophole whereby the Gardai could not deport someone if they ran into a house and wouldn't come out, I can't remember the details, it sounds ludicrous, like a keystone cops things, does anyone know if that's been resolved yet?
    We had a new angle a few weeks ago.

A Polish man, who two weeks ago prevented his extradition by refusing to board a plane at Dublin Airport because of an expressed fear of flying, was yesterday allowed to remain in the State until an appeal against his surrender by air is heard next week.
    They can't deport him by land because it would require coordination and permission from each country he would transit through.

Polish man who claims fear of flying halts extradition

Circa 1500 asylum applications last year down form a high of 12,000.

Just about 150 people granted asylum last year.

3500 deportations last year with more progress being made. 4000 expected this year.

The Irish Savant
    Deportations or deportation orders? They are not the same thing.

I think we need more immigration, not less. Lots of colour and diversity is good.

Frances Fitzgerald is making great progress in weeding out bogus Asylum Seekers from the system. Under her tenure as Minister, Ireland is no longer seen as a soft touch by Asylum Shoppers.

Asylum applications in Ireland are running at just 10% of the rate of other Countries will similar sized populations.

This is really a fantastic performance by Minister Fitzgerald. This is quiet competence behind the scenes without fanfare.

Ireland refuses asylum to 90pc of applicants - Independent.ie

With a little more effort the refusal figure could be edged up to circa 98%. Asylum should be made a temporary refuge rather than a route to permanent residence or Citizenship.

This is the kind of Competence we need in the next Taoiseach.
    Why? How do know bogus asylum seekers are getting through. Reputable links would be good but I am not hopeful.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment