Register to Comment
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree358Likes

Was there a cover-up in the Mary Boyle case?

Micheál Martin meets sister of missing Mary Boyle (6)

The twin sister of Mary Boyle (6), who went missing in Donegal 39 years ago, has presented Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin “evidence” that a politician orchestrated a ‘cover up’ in the case.

Ann Doherty had a two-hour meeting with Mr Martin at Leinster House on Tuesday during which she called on him to initiate a Dáil debate on the Garda investigation in the case, and asked him to support her demand that an inquest be held into her sister’s death.

Mr Martin was accompanied by barrister and Fianna Fáil TD Jim O’Callaghan, while Ms Doherty was accompanied by her friend Margo O’Donnell and journalist Gemma O’Doherty, who is assisting Ms Doherty in her campaign. She is also making a documentary on the case.

Mary Boyle went missing on March 18th, 1977 from the family farmland near Ballyshannon, Co Donegal. Ms Doherty believes her sister was sexually assaulted and murdered and that the man who killed her was protected by the authorities.

O’Doherty said they presented evidence to Mr Martin that a politician sought to intervene in the case.

Ms Doherty said Mr Martin told her the appropriate place to bring the allegations was the gardaí. “But we have no faith in the Garda. You wonder what you have to do to get justice in this country,” she said.
    Surely, anger about the disappearance - and probable murder - of a child would override deference to a politician. Even if the suspect had been interrogated and it had been halted, it would have been leaked to the press and thus caused a public outcry.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

It would appear there are elements here who are just as determined to prevent what really happened to little Mary being made public.
    Our State's first reaction is to sweep the dirt under the carpet...if the scandal keeps growing, they just order a bigger carpet

Crimes against children are taken much more seriously than they used to be. Therefore, the possibility of someone who wants to cover up the crime remaining in a position of public trust today is very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Micheál Martin meets sister of missing Mary Boyle (6)

Surely, anger about the disappearance - and probable murder - of a child would override deference to a politician. Even if the suspect had been interrogated and it had been halted, it would have been leaked to the press and thus caused a public outcry.
    No, it didn't at the time.

Gemma has done a good job here in helping get justice.

So when Gerry Adams next tells Tricky Mickey to go to the police with allegations of Adams membership ,he really cant scoff about that.

It is disgraceful that our public representatives will not call for an inquest. Maybe Anne Boyle should be calling for photoshoots on the Dail steps.

Where is the clamour for a Dail debate on this scandal?

Given the perpetrator is 'known', Im amazed they haven't been involved in an 'accident' in all these years.
    Were I a member of the Boyle family, I don't know if I could contain myself.

It's possible that there wasn't any proof that the suspect was involved in Mary's disappearance anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    Given the perpetrator is 'known', Im amazed they haven't been involved in an 'accident' in all these years.
    Were I a member of the Boyle family, I don't know if I could contain myself.
    When you consider those who stepped in to protect him, I would say many would have feared the full force of a dirty/corrupt high ranking Garda officer with many foot soldiers who will do anything for the boss. Not something you want to have against you at any time of life.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    It's possible that there wasn't any proof that the suspect was involved in Mary's disappearance anyway.
    Genius at work!

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment