Register to Comment
Page 3 of 1001 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
Like Tree9971Likes

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Of course he should. But going somewhere dangerous doesn't mean that if you get lifted for something like a peaceful protest and held a year without charge the DFA won't at least check in on you

This has happened and been widely reported on.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by lochlannach View Post
    Shouldn't the Irish government be doing more to protect its citizens caught up in the vagaries of tin pot justice systems?
    You are correct. The Irish government is not doing enough for people living in areas that are ravaged by criminality, like Limerick, and Corduff/Blanch.

But I cannot see them doing anything to make life tough for criminals, if it interferes with the "business" of the legal profession, who need more crime to keep up the income of the sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus View Post
    If he also has citizenship of Egypt, no. I think it likely he considers himself an Arab rather than Irish anyway. Would he be as eager to get involved in a political conflict in Ireland that had nothing to do with Arab or Muslim issues? I doubt it very much. I'd say he would neither know nor care what the Irish conflict was over, just as the majority of Irish people feel about the Egyptian situation.
    Grand so, we can close the thread, you are intimately knowledgeable of this bloke and his political beliefs, which fail the test. Throw away they key

Quote Originally Posted by Dick McKee View Post
    Being born in Ireland does not guarantee Irish citizenship. Being born to an Irish parent does. Fitzpatrick was an Irish citizenship at birth. Doesn't matter where he was born. Southern Yemen or West Cork. He was is an Irish born citizen.
    No he wasn't. He applied for it on death row.

And being born when Ibrahim Halawa was born did gurantee citizenship, which he has had since birth.

The two situations are not analagous

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    If he was a drugs mule, but white and female, the media would be all over this.
    i agree with you for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick McKee View Post
    Legally, Fitzpatrick was an Irish citizen at birth. His ma was Irish born. He just never bothered applying for a passport until he got a date with oul sparky.
    Grand. We hear you. You don't like him or the thread so you decide to bring in something to 'prove' your point.

Message received.

Now f*ck off.

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    I understand this has all occurred. You fail to address the basic point. He ignored advice not to go to an area known to be dangerous.

Hence, he must take some personal responsibility here. Would you have gone to Cairo at the time? I wouldn't.
    I'd agree regarding personal responsibility, but that doesn't change the fact that an Irish citizen may be subjected to torture, violations of his human rights etc. Guy did what he thought was right.

As others have said, if he was a f*cking scumbag drug mule female the media would be all over it. Personally I'm glad that clown is going to an NI jail and not back to the ROI. F*ck her and that other clown, they should have gotten longer sentences and stayed where they were.

Quote Originally Posted by mangaire1 View Post
    i agree with you for once.
    It has been discussed in the media extensively over several months. His family have been interviewed numerous times.

Well his sisters got out innit?

So at the very least the Egyptians are guilty of sexual discrimination... or something like that...

But then who really knows?

I know little about this case other than it's all a bit murky and opaque and that it most certainly has not been ignored by the Irish Govt. etc. which the OP claims.

if one plays with fire and get burned, who is to blame, just suppose for instaance he was not lifted for taking part in a banned demonstration, would he now be with isis, presuming the irish goverment got him released, what are the chances of him turning up somewhere else where there is trouble,

Being discussed now on RTE. Yet again.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment