Register to Comment
Page 3 of 156 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1013Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
    According to the likes of Margaretta D'Arcy, even if he had, wimmin should never be locked up as it damages the children...

But you get my point.
    I do and I agree. A good thumping now wouldn't necessarily do him any good. Its too late for a good thumping for him. A good shooting might be better.

But I jest a little. It does however bring me to what some may call a moral question (or immoral perhaps) but scruff like this fella, what good will come of him? How do you think he will contgribute to society? It is obvious that he, up to now, has only subtracted from society. His previous convictions are only the instances where he got caught. it is safe to assume he caused alot more mayhem that that. So, does society owe him anything? Is he completely lost to a failed system? Was the system at fault? If it was, surely most people would be little scumbags like him. Afterall, we constantly here on this site about the elite who get everything and the elite surely is not everyone other than scumbags like this gurrier.

Ah well, I'm sure a few good hearted decent souls will be along shortly to ignore my post and shower abuse at me for being a cold hearted sheltered sod who wouldn't know a day of hardship if it hit me between the eyes. Indeed, I'm sure some posters will wish such fate on me. Thats fine. I'm well used to such blinkered do-gooders here.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

What, no porridge? He must pay his tv licence!

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    Can someone explain why the justice system in this State favours not giving custodial sentences to recidivist criminals. The below is just another example of an individuals with numerous convictions, receiving a suspended sentence. It seems to me that this is becoming a common occurrence, especially for criminals with numerous convictions. What good comes from not locking this individual away? This article is from the Limerick leader and I am sure P.ie posters could show similar links from their local newspapers. Please feel free to add other lenient sentences reports.

‘Semi naked’ man banned from Limerick hotel - Limerick Leader
    I think they need the space for people who dont pay bills.

What amuses me about threads like this is people ranting about the failure of politicians, particularly Ministers for Justice, and the legal profession in the guise of bewigged barristers etc. The real "villains of the piece" are in fact the judges who try these cases. They are ultimately the people who pass sentence on these wrongdoers. No point railing against Alan Shatter, or a defence brief when some idiot of a judge hands down a sentence of community service to a repeat offender. A few years ago it was decided to have a mandatory sentence of 10 years on anyone caught in possession of drugs over a certain value. (it may have been €10k) but this was effectively ignored by the judges who thought this was an attack on their integrity and discretion

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    How do you think he will contribute to society? It is obvious that he, up to now, has only subtracted from society. His previous convictions are only the instances where he got caught. it is safe to assume he caused alot more mayhem that that. So, does society owe him anything? Is he completely lost to a failed system? Was the system at fault? If it was, surely most people would be little scumbags like him.
    You have far too many posts here not to know what you are saying here. I edited merely for brevity and will not take the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    The prisons are full to bursting point and the DoJ's current preference is for restorative justice.
    So release them back into the communities they cause havoc in. What are the chanced that there will be anyone from the DoJ that are living in these communities?

....because in the Irish "soft-touch regulation" model anything that generates revenue for the legal profession or any other well connected "professional" class, must be incentivised.

Crime does pay....mostly to lawyers....and it gives enough to the criminals to make sure that they keep up their career plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    What amuses me about threads like this is people ranting about the failure of politicians, particularly Ministers for Justice, and the legal profession in the guise of bewigged barristers etc. The real "villains of the piece" are in fact the judges who try these cases. They are ultimately the people who pass sentence on these wrongdoers. No point railing against Alan Shatter, or a defence brief when some idiot of a judge hands down a sentence of community service to a repeat offender. A few years ago it was decided to have a mandatory sentence of 10 years on anyone caught in possession of drugs over a certain value. (it may have been €10k) but this was effectively ignored by the judges who thought this was an attack on their integrity and discretion
    Um, afaik the mandatory sentences relate to trafficking and there are very few prosecutions for trafficking. The State usually prefer charges relating to possession and supply, which do not carry mandatory sentences. And that decision has nothing whatsoever to do with the Judge. If the DPP has decided the appropriate charges, it is not really for the Judge to tell them they should proffer charges with more serious penalties.

I not a doctor, a geneticist or a cell biologist but the guy below looks like he a victim or foetal alcohol syndrome - don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for him, if anything it's a reason to put him away as I don't think he is capable of acting in a civilised manner.

In terms of the OP, the reason is clear - as I stated in another thread recently here, the state is not really interested in offences against the person - it is offences agains the state that warrant the harshest of sentences.

It's really dangerous old ladies with cancer who actually go to jail in Ireland.....

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
    You have far too many posts here not to know what you are saying here. I edited merely for brevity and will not take the bait.
    I know exactly what I am saying Victor and I know many of the replies I will receive...on both sides of the argument. But this is a discussion forum for people to air their views. Soi whats your problem with my questions? Granted, much vitriol will spew upon our computer and tablet screens. Its not new.

Page 3 of 156 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment