Register to Comment
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Emperor View Post
    Well it's not as if Mrs Gilmore did anything underhand or illegal.
    i never said she did, but if the duck test is applied.........
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by artfoley56 View Post
    no he isn't

he has to clear his itinerary with the govt
    I thought that was only foreign travel? Last instance I can remember was when CJH refused Mary Robinson permission to deliver a lecture in London.

Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus View Post
    ok heres my spake on the issue.

is it appropriate? no. but sabina is a private citizen and can legally do whatever she wants so its ok with me.

the president , whom i DIDNT vote for, has handled the issue fine IMO. GILMORE has put his foot in it by saying anthing at all but thats gimmemore for ya.

about the only conscern i have is the fact she went with no gardai protection. i laud the fact she didnt use public funds to travel there and back but she IS the presidents wife and if some nutter attacked / kidnapped her there'd be hell to pay.

thats my 2c.

Security? Jesus do you want to give Sister Mercedes a conniption?! If she so much as had a Rich Tea or a spoon of porridge, Sister would be demanding heads to roll.

More seriously, luckily we don't have much need for security for the President's spouse as they're usually pretty anonymous. Martin McAleese may have been an exception given his role in talks in Northern Ireland, but I doubt Sabina Higgins would have been at much risk.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    I thought that was only foreign travel? Last instance I can remember was when CJH refused Mary Robinson permission to deliver a lecture in London.
    It is. The President is fully entitled to visit whoever he wants to in a personal and private capacity.

I applaud Mrs. Sabina Higgins for visiting her friend in prison.

I also applaud her husband, President Higgins, for his visits to Wheatfield Prison.

President Michael D Higgins visits Wheatfield Prison | maxwellphotographyblog

President Michael D Higgins defends attendance at Wheatfield Prison play - Independent.ie

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    She is not an official. The position of First Lady doesn't constitutionally exist. So she is under no obligation to forgo visits to such people. Also Mrs.Darcy is 78 and in my opinion should not be in prison at that age given what she did.

The courts should have recourse to house arrests at that age for non serious crimes.
    Mrs. Darcy chose to go to jail, she given a three month suspended sentence by the courts on condition that she undertook to sign a bond not to repeat the offence for which she convicted. Her refusal to do so meant that her sentence was reactivated, in all likelihood she would be released immediately if she signed the bond now.

A poet, an actress and a writer. And not a jot of talent between the three of them. But all of them have done well on the taxpayers coin.

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    out of curiosity, when was Sabina Higgins elected president?
    As long as she didn't inflict any of Michael Ds poetry or speeches on the prisoners no great harm done.

Well done to Sabrina, a very Christian act, Matthew 25:36

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    A poet, an actress and a writer. And not a jot of talent between the three of them. But all of them have done well on the taxpayers coin.
    Really, how much has Sabina Higgins received from the taxpayer?

Or is this like your claim yesterday to be paying for a 55 year old's pension - i.e. a lie plucked from your rear end?

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment