Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

False allegations of rape = sex offender?

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Blogger
    A 21 year old woman has pleaded guilty to making a false statement to Gardai last April, claiming at a Polish national raped her and held her prisoner at knifepoint, at Limerick District Court.

After sleeping willingly with the man, Leslie Loughman of Norwood Park, St. Patrick’s Road made a complaint to Gardai claiming that she had been raped by the Polish national.

She was brought to the Midwestern Regional hospital where the time of those at the Sexual Assault Unit was also wasted with this frivelous claim.

Six weeks, and three Garda statements later, Loughman finally admitted that her claims were indeed false.
    How should such people be treated by the courts?

Should women who make false rape allegations be on the sex offenders register?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

They should be charged with the cost incured by the Garda, Sexual Assault Unit, court and hospital. Then charged for making false accusations of crimes and wasting Garda time.

They should also be made pay damages to the person wrongly accused.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster
    They should be charged with the cost incured by the Garda, Sexual Assault Unit, court and hospital. Then charged for making false accusations of crimes and wasting Garda time.
    What about damages in terms of the accused's reputation?

(Edit: Or, you know, what jerryp said.)

Quote Originally Posted by stringjack
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster
    What about damages in terms of the accused's reputation?

(Edit: Or, you know, what jerryp said.)
    In terms of damages, the person who had the false allegation made against them would have the right to seek a remedy through the civil courts, mental distress and anything else a clever barrister can come up with

Re: False allegations of rape = sex offender?

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan
    A 21 year old woman has pleaded guilty to making a false statement to Gardai last April, claiming at a Polish national raped her and held her prisoner at knifepoint, at Limerick District Court.

After sleeping willingly with the man, Leslie Loughman of Norwood Park, St. Patrick’s Road made a complaint to Gardai claiming that she had been raped by the Polish national.

She was brought to the Midwestern Regional hospital where the time of those at the Sexual Assault Unit was also wasted with this frivelous claim.

Six weeks, and three Garda statements later, Loughman finally admitted that her claims were indeed false.
    Harshly. I'd put them behind bars. It shouldn't be up to the (falsely) accused to seek civil redress.
    No, that wouldn't make sense. They aren't sex offenders in the normal sense.

I suppose the danger is that someone thinking of making a legitimate allegation might not do so if they felt that there was a possibility of them being doubly-victimised by the courts and sent to jail.

What a disgustful thing to do put someone through. I suppose you just think people are capable of such a thing.

While my first reaction would be that a long custodial sentence would be too good for her! on second thoughts...

Punishing her too heavily 'could' discourage other 'false accusers' from admitting they lied, in the future. . . it would be kind of like

-if the punishment for Kidnapping a child was death,,, all kidnapped children would end up dead - If you know what I mean.

The state should do everything In its power to ensure he is not marked as a rapist for the rest of his life. Too many people take a 'there's no smoke without fire' attitude. The charge should also be removed from his police record. Poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hard Left
    What a disgustful thing to do put someone through. I suppose you just think people are capable of such a thing.

While my first reaction would be that a long custodial sentence would be too good for her! on second thoughts...

Punishing her too heavily 'could' discourage other 'false accusers' from admitting they lied, in the future. . . it would be kind of like

-if the punishment for Kidnapping a child was death,,, all kidnapped children would end up dead - If you know what I mean.

The state should do everything In its power to ensure he is not marked as a rapist for the rest of his life. Too many people take a 'there's no smoke without fire' attitude. The charge should also be removed from his police record. Poor guy.
    So the accused should get off without punishment as it might impact on other crimes that haven't happened yet?

What about robbery or murder, should the same approach be taken then too?

Re: False allegations of rape = sex offender?

Quote Originally Posted by michael1965
    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan

Harshly. I'd put them behind bars. It shouldn't be up to the (falsely) accused to seek civil redress.
    No, that wouldn't make sense. They aren't sex offenders in the normal sense.
    Dont know about that - I mean their crime is sexually related and they obviously have few qualms about using sex as a weapon to cause harm to another.

However, is it really neccessary to put them on the register, the purpose of it being to monitor those who are a danger to others? It could be argued that it is, especially if they might go and have sex with someone else and try to pull this stunt again?

Hard to call this, but at a pinch, I would say no.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment