rel="canonical" href="http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/197529-arrested-refusing-provide-name-address-43.html" /> Arrested for Refusing to Provide Name & Address - Page 43
Register to Comment
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Irish View Post
    Learn to spell, idiot.
    Now gentlemen if ye don't start behaving yerselves I'll have to call the Guards ...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    In all my years dealing with the Gardai i have never know them to give advise to anyone about dropping a case against known thugs. I think my friend you are just another Police hater and its becoming more apparent with each post.
    Eh, sorry mate, but I had it happen.
    I was assaulted in Dun Laoire one night. A bystander got the reg of the car they drove off in, and passed it to the Gardai who came to the scene.
    Two days later the same Gaurds came to my gaff and sat on my couch for a chat. They told me they had identified my attackers, and knew their addresses. I said GREAT, when will you be arresting them?
    They then proceeded to talk me out of pressing charges, as follows:

These guys are known hardened crims who've done jail time, if you press charges they'll know where you live and come get you.
    If you press charges theyll say you started it, your word against theirs.
    You'll have to take time off work to attend court.
    Their free legal aid will come up with an excuse why they can't attend the hearing - new job offer, poor lads unemployed judge!
    Hearing will be rescheduled - you'll have to take another day off work.
    There'll be another excuse for a no show.
    You'll eventually get sick of taking days off work, the hearing will proceed without you, and be dismissed.
    Even if convicted, they'll only get a slap on the wrist - probation act.
    You'll be looking over your should forever.

So I dropped it.
    What's the point when the guys administering the law say they are incapable of doing their job?

I'd love to know why they were so keen though. Honest concern for my safety? Or plain laziness?

Thank goodness the police were doing their job in Wicklow that night. Three lads loitering at 1am is suspicious and any reasonable law abiding citizen would agree.

I wonder what the 'anti gardai brigade' would think about three guys having a chat outside their house at 1am.

Quote Originally Posted by YongHoi View Post
    I was assaulted in Dun Laoire one night. A bystander got the reg of the car they drove off in, and passed it to the Gardai who came to the scene.
    Two days later the same Gaurds came to my gaff and sat on my couch for a chat. They told me they had identified my attackers, and knew their addresses. I said GREAT, when will you be arresting them?

These guys are known hardened crims who've done jail time, if you press charges they'll know where you live and come get you.
    Their free legal aid will come up with an excuse why they can't attend the hearing - new job offer, poor lads unemployed judge!
    You'll eventually get sick of taking days off work, the hearing will proceed without you, and be dismissed.

So I dropped it.
    What's the point when the guys administering the law say they are incapable of doing their job?

I'd love to know why they were so keen though. Honest concern for my safety? Or plain laziness?
    Make a complaint to the ombudsman and you might find out.

So I dropped it.

Sounds like you would have been far better off in Ikeja Hotel in downtown Lagos.
    Your account on both counts is unlikely if only for the fact that something good must happen to you from time to time that does not involve a nasty and useless Gárda Siochána (good to get their name right to start with), necklacing, hotel rats or drunk yobbos.

The fact that the guards escalated this situation to the point that they can threaten the man's career, access to visas and reputation simply for refusing to provide his name demonstrates why they need to be strictly limited within the law. The point proves itself.

Do those who believe the guards were right to pursue this really believe that this is a proportionate or desirable action for them to take or be allowed to take? Do people believe that the guards' bending the truth on the stand, .i.e perjury, with such real and serious consequences for the young men is a proportionate or desirable reaction on their part to such a petty incident?

On the basis of the facts as presented this is a case of abuse of power. We all benefit as a society by not submitting to abuses of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicist View Post
    Sounds like you would have been far better off in Ikeja Hotel in downtown Lagos.
    Your account on both counts is unlikely if only for the fact that something good must happen to you from time to time that does not involve a nasty and useless Gárda Siochána (good to get their name right to start with), necklacing, hotel rats or drunk yobbos.
    Yeah, that's life. I don't live under a rock, like you. I've worked on every continent on the planet, and Ireland is one of the most violent places I've been - besides Nigeria, the Gold Medal Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    Make a complaint to the ombudsman and you might find out.
    Couldn't be arsed. It was 30 years ago.
    Are you no longer in denial?

Yeah, that's life. I don't live under a rock, like you. I've worked on every continent on the planet, and Ireland is one of the most violent places I've been - besides Nigeria, the Gold Medal Holder.
    Thought so - you just like going round the world taking money out of systems you despise and take the high ground of a mole.

Couldn't be arsed. It was 30 years ago.
    Are you no longer in denial?
    I never said the Gardai are perfect there no where near it, i just believe the op has an agenda and is a Police hater.Ive met some moron cops in my days working as bouncer. I remember one night when a guy pulled a knife on me, my colleague knocked him out before i could react . An ambulance and the cops were called ,a little snotty cop started to give my mate the third degree about the use of force he used ,which set me off until a Sargent who i knew arrived on the scene and calmed the situation by telling the snotty cop move away.I have no problem telling a guard where to go to a certain degree if i think hes out of order, its idiots who think they are taking a great stand against the tyranny of the police by refusing to give details when asked. that piss me off.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment