Register to Comment
Page 99 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Like Tree619Likes

Dail Eireann leaders questions 02 Feb 2009

Kenny puts very specific questions to Cowen, seeking information of what Cowen knew about Quinn, CFD position in Anglo.

Deputy Enda Kenny: I asked the Taoiseach the date on which he found out about the transactions between Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Life & Permanent. This is important from his point of view as Head of Government. We have had a trail and drip of information, rumour, innuendo, allegation and fact. This is an important question for the Taoiseach to answer in his own interest. When did he find out about this?

When did the Minister for Finance know about the unwinding of the Quinn-Anglo position where, we understand, ten people were given €30 million each to boost the shares. Do we know who these people are? When did the Minister for Finance tell the Taoiseach about this? There is a difference between protecting the national interest and protecting the interest of the Fianna Fáil Party or that of Anglo Irish Bank.

Deputy Martin Cullen: That is disgraceful.

Deputy Enda Kenny: These are fundamental questions that must be answered now. As the Taoiseach knows, there is no trust and no confidence in Irish financial institutions among the [30]markets. It is patently wrong that the regulatory authority should be investigating these matters when it is a fundamental part of the problem.

Deputy Bernard J. Durkan: Hear, hear.

Deputy Enda Kenny: The board and senior management should be gone and the Taoiseach should take decisive action in that regard, not in an individual sense but to send out a message of a clear, fresh and new beginning in this regard.

Deputies: Hear, hear.

Deputy Enda Kenny: That is fundamental.

On what date did the Taoiseach find out about this? Did the Minister for Finance tell him about the unravelling of the Quinn-Anglo deal? If there are issues of governance or criminal activity involved, why has the Government not sent in the fraud squad to investigate? People want answers quickly from the Taoiseach as our country edges ever closer to an economic precipice. Everybody has an interest in protecting our financial institutions. Everybody has an interest in ensuring our economy develops. However, the lack of leadership, strength and decisive action from the Government is only adding further to the confusion and the darkening clouds that lie ahead.

Does the Taoiseach know the names of the ten persons involved? Can he confirm that no member of the Government was involved in any way by encouragement, support or any other activity to facilitate this situation whereby ten persons were each given €30 million from Anglo Irish Bank?

LINK
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Sorry Des, I fail to see how that's similar to the Nurumberg defence?

Sean, as far as I know, had no powers to sign legislation into law, only politicians can do that, if I am wrong on this please tell me,

Sean's life would have been a whole lot easier if the Bank G'tee had never happened, and Sean Jr would never have seen the inside if Mountjoy!

Elizabeth Dunne is an enemy of the people of Ireland, the judiciary is the final line of defence against tyranny and she has not only failed in her duty, but has decided to take the side of the state,

She should have taken her warning from history!
    Sean's life would have been an awful lot easier if he hadn't been stupid enough to get into CFDs.
    TBH You'd have far more credibility if you admitted the man has not played by the rules instead of waving a bony finger in the direction of all the bad people "wot dun it" and "dun him" down.

Hat tip to NWL
    According to Simon Carswell in the Irish Times the Maple 10 comprised

(1) Jerry Conlan*
    (2) Patrick Kearney*
    (3) Seamus Ross*
    (4) Gerry Gannon*
    (5) Joe O’Reilly*
    (6) Brian O’Farrell
    (7) Paddy McKillen
    (8) Gerry Maguire
    (9) John McCabe*
    (10) Seán Reilly
    * reportedly in NAMA

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by VHF View Post

Kenny puts very specific questions to Cowen, seeking information of what Cowen knew about Quinn, CFD position in Anglo.
    We first must see what happened before any Anglo 10 - before we even talk about that.

Sean, as far as I know, had no powers to sign legislation into law, only politicians can do that, if I am wrong on this please tell me,

Sean's life would have been a whole lot easier if the Bank G'tee had never happened, and Sean Jr would never have seen the inside if Mountjoy!

Elizabeth Dunne is an enemy of the people of Ireland, the judiciary is the final line of defence against tyranny and she has not only failed in her duty, but has decided to take the side of the state,

Is it your contention that the Quinns were legally correct to break the injunction issued by Ms Justice Dunne, this is where their current difficulties arose. If they had complied with that injunction the Quinns could be sitting around the family dinning table, enjoying Sunday lunch instead of having Sean Quinn Jr in jail, Peter Darragh Quinn on the run from an arrest warrant and Sean Quinn Sr awaiting imprisionment himself if he does not purge his contempt of court with three months.

You were doing really well there Ribeye. Really well. Now you're beginning to look like a more educated and articulate version of Hedzog.

That is an outrageous slur and you know it.

She has only acted on the evidence presented before her. Most of the evidence presented by the Quinn family has been, in her words, "clearly fabricated or falsified". That evidence was "evasive, lacking in candour" not to mention "untruthful" and "simply untrue".

I agree that others need to contemplate life through the vista provided by a prison cell window.

But we are always hearing, from the Quinn Family & Supporters, that if we knew the real truth we would be on their side, yet they give us nothing. All the publicly available evidence points to their guilt.

I make my opinion based on the facts and evidence available to me, and would gladly change my mind based on new facts...so... over to you Quinns.

double post...removed

Quote Originally Posted by VHF View Post

Is he praying he doesn't get the answers now?

When is Cowen back from Stanford?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment