Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Serial Killers; Nature or Nurture

When studying serial killers, serial rapists, do we yet know if there is any proof that either a person is born a psychopath or sociopath, or does he / she develop such murderous and cruel customs due to their home environment?

Having spoken to a few psychiatrists, I was surprised to find that according to their reading of mental health illnesses, that the only illness they are willing to recognise as a true "illness" is scitzophrenia.

What about sociopaths etc? If not mentally ill, what are they? Evil? Born evil? I cannot believe that. So what is it? What are they? And why is it men who dominate this, what could I call it? Arena?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    When studying serial killers, serial rapists, do we yet know if there is any proof that either a person is born a psychopath or sociopath, or does he / she develop such murderous and cruel customs due to their home environment?

Having spoken to a few psychiatrists, I was surprised to find that according to their reading of mental health illnesses, that the only illness they are willing to recognise as a true "illness" is scitzophrenia.
    I think those psychiatrists may have been voices in your head

Here's the common list many of them use:

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cYp

What about sociopaths etc? If not mentally ill, what are they? Evil? Born evil? I cannot believe that. So what is it? What are they? And why is it men who dominate this, what could I call it? Arena?

The common definition of the psychopath is the inability to recognize others as worthy of compassion. The psychopath (as also the sociopath), do not have feelings for their victims, in turn dehumanizing them into worthless objects. In the 19th century, psychopathology was considered to be "moral insanity". Today it is commonly known as "antisocial personality disorder" or "sociopathology." Although the terms sociopath and psychopath seems to be the same, they are not. A simple way of understanding the difference is that psychopaths are more likely to kill and are less in control, while sociopaths are more of a repressed killer, choosing manipulation and psychological harm as a replacement tool for murder.

Sociopaths are very stable and are much harder to detect than psychopaths. Current experts believe that sociopaths are an unfortunate fusion of interpersonal, biological and socio-cultural disasters. Are sociopaths to blame for their actions, or does it go deeper than that? One famous sociopath said publicly “I haven’t failed, society has failed me”, which ended up stunning everyone. Are sociopaths misunderstood? Some sociologists tend to agree with sociopaths and relate to them in terms of society morphing them into who they are today.

Sociopathic.net - Sociopathic and Psychopathic Development

I dare say we have quite a few on this site.

Here is a little test http://www.allthetests.com/quiz18/qu...tid=1140475124

Tho it sounds like pinko twaddle , in many cases society is to blame . I shudder to think at the generation of sociopaths we are creating in certain 'ghettoes' .

I would guess that some are born that way, others are borderline and depends what nurture they get.

I know two siblings who were adopted by lovely parents, the boy became a total nutter and ended up in a bad way. That was clearly nature as his sister is lovely.

However, there are probably others caused by their environment and life experiences-hence why I think America has the highest rate of serial killing (Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect)

Quote Originally Posted by Feelinglost View Post
    The common definition of the psychopath is the inability to recognize others as worthy of compassion. The psychopath (as also the sociopath), do not have feelings for their victims, in turn dehumanizing them into worthless objects. In the 19th century, psychopathology was considered to be "moral insanity". Today it is commonly known as "antisocial personality disorder" or "sociopathology." Although the terms sociopath and psychopath seems to be the same, they are not. A simple way of understanding the difference is that psychopaths are more likely to kill and are less in control, while sociopaths are more of a repressed killer, choosing manipulation and psychological harm as a replacement tool for murder.

Sociopaths are very stable and are much harder to detect than psychopaths. Current experts believe that sociopaths are an unfortunate fusion of interpersonal, biological and socio-cultural disasters. Are sociopaths to blame for their actions, or does it go deeper than that? One famous sociopath said publicly “I haven’t failed, society has failed me”, which ended up stunning everyone. Are sociopaths misunderstood? Some sociologists tend to agree with sociopaths and relate to them in terms of society morphing them into who they are today.

Sociopathic.net - Sociopathic and Psychopathic Development

Here is a little test Are You A Sociopath? quizzes test quiz tests trivia

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    I would guess that some are born that way, others are borderline and depends what nurture they get.

I know two siblings who were adopted by lovely parents, the boy became a total nutter and ended up in a bad way. That was clearly nature as his sister is lovely.

However, there are probably others caused by their environment and life experiences-hence why I think America has the highest rate of serial killing (Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect)
    Translation - nobody knows.

If you ask a Psychiatrist or Neuroscientist they will tell you nature and proceed to talk at you about dendrons and synapses and hemispheres till you're blue in the face; but of course they won't answer the question. They'll pull a nice little bit of slight of hand to make it look like they've answered but all they will have done is impress you with jargon relating to their perspective on the situation.

If you ask a contemporary psychoanalyst he or she will tell you nurture, and proceed to tell you about the parents failure to properly invest the infant into a stable conception of the signifier and the signified. This too is nothing but a slight of hand.

If you ask a judge he or she will probably defer making up his mind. He will pretend he thinks society is to blame and can be fixed by rehabilitating the individual psychopath, but his or her actions will say otherwise when he/she sentences As this act clearly holds the individual culpable.

The same goes for all disciplines and philosophies. Sometimes one perspective is seen to have more "authority" or "truth" than another but at the end of the - nobody knows.

I'm excited by this.
    Last edited by sauntersplash; 27th January 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelinglost View Post

Here is a little test Are You A Sociopath? quizzes test quiz tests trivia
    Undoubtedly...

Dude, I'm scared of you. You'd better watch out or you could become a full-blown sociopath.

You have 13 points for 24 Questions.You are for 46 % pure!

The average of surfers were 48 % pure.

Phew - 67% pure! thankfully "have you murdered strangers for fun?" wasn't a question

[QUOTE=Lazarus;2416732]
    Having spoken to a few psychiatrists, I was surprised to find that according to their reading of mental health illnesses, that the only illness they are willing to recognise as a true "illness" is scitzophrenia.QUOTE]

Schizophrenia is neither a disease nor an illness, it cannot be found on the autopsy table. It is a weasel term, used by doctors to describe behaviours they can't understand, and by the pharmaceutical industry to sell useless drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    Phew - 67% pure! thankfully "have you murdered strangers for fun?" wasn't a question

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment