Register to Comment
Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 127
  1. #1
    Andrew49 Andrew49 is offline
    Andrew49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,022
    Twitter
    @

    Nurse blinded and then insulted.

    A Wicklow youth blinded a nurse in one eye by throwing a egg at her from a passing car. David Morgan (18) was out “egging” with his friends when he hit the woman as she walking on the Bray Road. The victim had previously rejected an offer of €10,000 compensation. Judge Katherine Delahunt adjourned the case until next month to find out if the woman will accept the money going to charity instead.

    Ms Dooley's victim impact report stated: "Not a minute goes by where the attack does not affect my life." She said she suffers from regular headaches and is self-conscious about her appearance. She rejected Morgan's offer of €10,000 as an "insult" which belittled her injury. She refused to accept a letter of apology from him.

    Link

    - - - - - - - -

    Is there a charity in Ireland that could in all conscience accept money from the perpetrator, particularly after reading the victim impact statement?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    thebig C thebig C is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,027

    God I feel sorry for that poor woman. It just show how serious supposed "minor offences" actually are!

    Actually, I go walking regularly and this has happened to me several times were eggs are hurled from passing cars....usually a boyracer Glanza full of skangers! On Halloween last Saturday I had a rocket fired from a car. The frightening part is, you are just not expecting it to happen!

    Another thing. In recent years this practice of paying monetary compensation in lieu of a prison sentence has crept in. I think its disgusting. It just reflects that the judiciary and DPP would rather anything except cases going to court and evil people getting punished. Perpetrators should have to face jail AND compensate the victim!

    Fair play to this lady for rejecting the 10k! I have a friend who was the victim of an unprovoked assault. The scumbags who did it offered 5k. My friend accepted not because he really wanted to but because he was afraid of facing them in court, being cross examined and possible retaliation from their families.

    C
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    TradCat TradCat is offline
    TradCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7,331

    A custodial sentence would be more like it in my view. But what are the chances? We are expected to put up with egg-throwing and petty vandalism.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    mr_anderson mr_anderson is offline
    mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,951

    There are things I'd like to do to scum such as that.
    A pair of pliers and a blow torch comes to mind.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Pat Mc Larnon Pat Mc Larnon is offline
    Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,888

    Is this an extension of the charity box scourge that some judges used as a way to benefit charities of their choice? While that may be a bit of a stretch it is not the job of the judge to encourage the person who suffered the consequences of this attack to go down a certain road. The person involved is quite adamant that she wants nothing to do with the money or apology, surely respect for her own opinion is the least she is entitled to.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    sauntersplash sauntersplash is offline
    sauntersplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,190

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    A Wicklow youth blinded a nurse in one eye by throwing a egg at her from a passing car. David Morgan (18) was out “egging” with his friends when he hit the woman as she walking on the Bray Road. The victim had previously rejected an offer of €10,000 compensation. Judge Katherine Delahunt adjourned the case until next month to find out if the woman will accept the money going to charity instead.

    Ms Dooley's victim impact report stated: "Not a minute goes by where the attack does not affect my life." She said she suffers from regular headaches and is self-conscious about her appearance. She rejected Morgan's offer of €10,000 as an "insult" which belittled her injury. She refused to accept a letter of apology from him.

    Link

    - - - - - - - -

    Is there a charity in Ireland that could in all conscience accept money from the perpetrator, particularly after reading the victim impact statement?
    This is a disgusting and tragic occurance.

    But why is it relevant that she's a nurse?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    ballot stuffer ballot stuffer is offline
    ballot stuffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,039

    Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    This is a disgusting and tragic occurance.

    But why is it relevant that she's a nurse?
    Tragic I agree, but the title implies she was injured in the line of duty.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    odie1kanobe odie1kanobe is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    22,465

    Find the skanger who owns the car and burn it, then burn his replacemant and that of any of the mates in the car, then keep doing it so after a year they know the ********************e they have inflicted on someone.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Andrew49 Andrew49 is offline
    Andrew49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,022
    Twitter
    @

    Quote Originally Posted by ballot stuffer View Post
    Tragic I agree, but the title implies she was injured in the line of duty.
    [SIZE=4]Unfortunately she won't be 'in the line of duty' any more!

    Det Gda Jones told prosecuting counsel, Mr Garret Baker BL, that Morgan had met up with his friends to go a party and “egg” the people there. They stopped in a shop on the way and bought 30 eggs. Morgan saw a group of young people and was going to throw an egg at them but then saw Ms Dooley and her friend’s walking up the road.

    He threw the egg at them instead, hitting Ms Dooley in her left eye. She was in “very severe pain” and was brought to a nearby house where her husband picked her up and brought her to the Eye and Ear Hospital. The medical report stated she had an extremely large wound and the lens of the eye had almost disappeared. She lost all sight in that eye and had to get a prosthetic cover fitted. She was also told there was a chance the eye may have to be removed totally in the future.

    She incurred medical expenses of nearly €12,000 and claimed she had lost earnings of €1.5m because she was planning to return to work as a nurse but could no longer do this. The figure is based on the annual wage of a nurse up to her age of retirement.[/SIZE]
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    KingKane KingKane is offline
    KingKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,599
    Twitter
    @

    I'm curious as to why a custodial sentence isn't appropriate in this case? Throwing stuff at people is intending to harm, the notion that because they're eggs no damage can be caused shows the lack of cop on in those engaged in it. I think a period in jail along with excluding him after that from the social welfare net for 5 years would make sense.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment