Register to Comment
Page 1 of 47 123 11 ... LastLast

19 year old man jailed for statutory rape of 16 year old girl

Jail term for having sex with girl (16) - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 16, 2009

A MAN who was 19 when he had sexual intercourse with a 16-year-old girl will be given an 11-month custodial sentence, a District Court judge said yesterday in Mullingar.
    The court heard that the girl’s father had been out looking for her and came upon the couple when they had been together.
    While, as a father of a young girl myself, I can sympathise completely with the father in this case (what father wouldn't) I can also recall my own youth as a 17th year old with a 16yr old girlfriend.

Is a custodial sentence really appropriate?

(Before I get neg repped by the likes of JC Skinner.. can I state that I categorically condemn any forms of child abuse)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Absolute nonsense - huge numbers of 16 year olds are sexually active. That is our reality!

He referred to a report prepared for the court by consultant psychiatrist Seán Dómhnaill who stated that it is “a very widely held belief” that the age of consent is 16.
    Too true, I fall into that category, even back when I was 16.

It seems like the father of the girl figured Higgins was a bit of a gurrier, but sending a young fella off to prison seems a bit harsh. maybe he should have gone to study film making.

Yet a paedophile author can sexually assualt a 15 year old boy and only get a suspended sentance. The judges in this country really need a kick up the arse at times.

http://www.politics.ie/culture-commu...standards.html

At least the case in this thread appears to have been consensual.

This sounds absolutely mental

The girl was below the age of consent.
    The 19 year old guy should have known that if he didn't know that already.

We have laws for a reason because otherwise there would be a free for all.

There are a 12, 13, 14 and 15 year old girls who are sexually active with boys of the same age but often these girls are having sex with men in their late teens and early twenties too.

As far as I am concerned this guy should have waited until the girl became 17 or 18 or else he should of found a young woman of his own age to have a relationship with.

It's not hard for a guy to meet women his own age - go to pubs and nightclubs or even engineer a date with a woman you might meet on the bus or in the newsagents when you are buying the morning paper etc etc.

When a guy is having sex with an underage girl he is clearly exploiting her and he deserves everything he gets.

This kid does not deserve the sentence, he should never have been charged. The law is too rigid, we really need to revise it, for example, a couple one of whom is 16 years, 364 days and 23 hours and the other one hour older could get charged.

Not that the Dail want to have anything to do with legislating in this area, other countries have a "Romeo and Juliet" rule for statutory rape. If the difference in ages is less than 2 years, then it isn't considered a crime. That wouldn't have applied in this case though.

However, the rule could be that the age difference can be taken into account, with <2 years, not considered a crime, with the severity increasing as the difference increases.

Absolutely blooming ludicrous. The judge should be locked up. Is this guy going to come out of jail a heroin addict now ?

A warning to consider her youth and wait until she's 17 would have been enough.

This kid does not deserve the sentence, he should never have been charged. The law is too rigid, we really need to revise it, for example, a couple one of whom is 16 years, 364 days and 23 hours and the other one hour older could get charged.
    When a guy is 19 years old, however childish he might be and however much he might identify with a younger teenager, he is a grown man and he is an adult.

This girl was a still a child.

End of Story.

Where do you draw the line?

If you let a 19 year old have sex with a 16 year old girl would you allow a 20 year old to gave sex with a 15 year old?
    How about a 21 year old having sex with a 14 year old?
    Or a 22 year old with a 13 year old?
    Where does the sliding scale of ages stop?

Would it be okay for a 19 year old adult to have sex with a 16 year old girl but would it be wrong for a 55 year old to have sex with a 16 year old girl?

We draw line in the sand and we call it age of consent and we enforce it.

No excuses.

Page 1 of 47 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment