Register to Comment
Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Seeing the last red C poll, I am ashamed to call myself Irish, Sean Gallagher 41%

Seeing the last red C poll, I am ashamed to call myself Irish, we as a nation have learned exactly nothing from the previous decade which has destroyed our economy.

Sean Gallagher the liar.
    Gallagher has lied about his membership in Fianna fail. He has rejected claims he was closely connected with Fianna Fail right up to January of this year. He said he quit Fianna Fail in 2009.
    Gallagher was a member of the Fianna Fail National executive council from 2009 up to January 2011.
    He regretfully resigned but claimed he would continue to support his colleagues which is exactly what he did.
    He actively canvassed for at least 3 Fianna Fail candidates in the last general election he himself also openly considered running as the Fianna Fail candidate in Louth. Gallagher launched Fianna Fail campaigns, like Leonards in Monaghan, Charlie McConalogue, Margaret Conlon, Brian Ó Domhnaill and Dara Calleary's in Mayo on 5th. Feb last
    I was blocked from Gallagher’s facebook page once I questioned his Fianna Fail membership.
    Gallagher’s campaign team have failed to answer the question when exactly he resigned as a member of Fianna Fail. The truth is that Gallagher has been a member of Fianna Fail for the last 30 years all his adult life and has been on the Fianna Fail national executive from 1998 to January if this year. He was head of Ógra Fianna Fáil.
    He was offered an appointment to work with Noel Dempsey as a minister.
    He was described as a "staunch Fine Fail supporter" when he was appointed to the new FÁS board, Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise Mary Coughlan announced the names of the new FAS board members on Thursday, January 21 2010. He spoke at Fianna Fail Ogra in August 2010.
    He worked finished working as a political secretary for then-Health minister and Cavan-Monaghan TD Rory O’Hanlon up to 2003 and 2007 when he acted as a campaign manager for Louth’s Seamus Kirk."
    He attended Ógra Fianna Fáil National Youth Conference in Bundoran in November 2009.
    Sean Gallagher's listed Electoral agent is Cathal Lee.
    This is the same Cathal Lee who was chair of the Kevin Barry Cumann in UCD who was a member of the Fianna Fail National Executive.
    The RTE news, who had been following Gallagher around on the campaign trail showed a video report,
    Included in the clips were one of a young person telling him.. well I won't be voting for you, then one of a bearded man engaging him as gaelige, and showing up his lack of fluency of the language.. but perhaps the defining image of the peace, was a man rushing across to meet and greet Gallagher and shake his hand furiously along with a clap on the back..
    After Gallagher had moved on the camera crew asked the man why he was supporting Gallagher and he forcefully claimed, he's a good FF man, was a good FF member..
    Then it cut away to Gallagher furiously denying his links to the hierarchy of the party, while still trying to mollify the hard core FF members.
    Gallagher claimed he was going to redefine how election campaigns are done by calling for a poster free ARAS campaign.
    After making a virtue of the fact he wasn’t going to do posters, Sean Gallagher's posters have sprung up on dust bins in shopping centers throughout the country.
    In addition Gallagher has said each poster costs the taxpayer €3 so how much will Gallagher's bin posters cost the taxpayer? It seems Gallagher is well and truly from the FF gene pool say one thing and do another.
    To further proof he is a lair you only need to listen to his promises, almost everything he is promising he cannot deliver on.

Sean Gallagher the Fianna Failer On the primetime presidential debate Gallagher refused to condemn Fianna Fail for the destruction of the Irish economy, 12 hours later Gallagher’s adviser sprung into action as a result of the backlash and Gallagher backtracked with some well designed spin.
    THE Galway tent was abolished once Brian Cowen became leader of Fianna Fail, but the culture didn't change in the party.
    The high-profile racecourse marquee was replaced by low-key discreet gatherings in hotels where businessmen were invited to hand over €5,000 a head.
    On the first night of July 2008, a select group of businessmen from the north-east region gathered in the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Dundalk. Among the 40 men present were business figures from the retail, hotels, property and food sectors in the area.
    According to a source, those in attendance joked "the fundraiser was an alternative to the Galway tent which was cancelled by Cowen earlier that year".
    Presidential election candidate Sean Gallagher was there. He invited a number of business associates to attend the event. He passed on details of other businessmen in the region to Fianna Fail headquarters to contact.
    The guests with the lucrative cheques had direct access to then Taoiseach Brian Cowen, just weeks after he had become leader of the country.
    Gallagher sees nothing wrong with such fundraisers where the cosy links between big business and politics are fostered.
    After the Irish Independent revealed his involvement in the organisation of the event yesterday, he endeavored to play down his role. Not once did he say he saw anything wrong with the fundraiser.
    His morals are still aligned firmly to the Fianna Fail of the past where dig-outs and dinners were acceptable.
    He convinces himself that because he didn't directly ask for the money, he has no question to answer.
    Gallagher simply invited business associates to a fundraiser, where they would just happen to be asked to donate €5,000.
    The contempt, with which he treats the public with this explanation, lacking in any integrity, is truly astonishing.
    Just because he didn't physically collect the money in a bag doesn't mean he didn't know exactly what was going on.
    Gallagher portrays himself as a fellah who brings an alcoholic to a bar in a brewery -- but doesn't tell them to take a drink.
    Pleadings of innocence are nothing new among Gallagher's friends in old school Fianna Fail.
    • Bertie Ahern received loans and gifts from businessmen.
    • Cowen went playing golf and had dinner with Anglo Irish Bank bosses, but never discussed the fortunes of the bank.
    • Bertie Ahern's buddy, Michael Wall, went to dinners but didn't eat the meal.
    • Gallagher went to the dinner but didn't hand over any money or ask for any money.
    Claiming to be just an ordinary grassroots member of Fianna Fail, he fails to recognise many of the party's ordinary grassroots members had no time for these types of fundraising activities, which have enormously damaged the reputation of the party.
    Not Sean Gallagher.
    He claims the event wasn't secret, yet its existence was never publicised and is only emerging now because of his presidential election campaign.
    His efforts to be an everyman figure for the economic recovery are steadily crumbling as his past comes under greater scrutiny.
    He is more interested in the glossy photoshoots and the sound bites than being clear in his answers.

Sean Gallagher failed businessman. Gallagher’s main selling point is jobs. After receiving almost a million Euros in grants, loans and salary from various quango’s and boards, he has created 60 jobs through the boom with the company smart homes 20 of those jobs now remain. All investments in the dragons den has failed to materialise any profit. After his smart home company began top make losses, Sean cut his loses and him and his business partner paid themselves 860,000€. At the time a group of small ordinary investors were left disgruntled after making losses on their investments in the firm. Gallagher got a loan of €25,394 from the Louth County Enterprise Board (the board did not get all the money back and were forced to seek legal advice on how to go about getting back the portion they did, just 19,000€ was returned) and €41,970 from the North-South body Intertrade
    Ireland from which he was a board member and received €41,550 in pay. This is a disgusting conflict of interests.
    He has most recently been appointed Chairman of the Drogheda Port Authority another paid board postion
    Sean Gallaghers company "Smarthomes" has received €693,001 in funding from Enterprise Ireland.
    Sean Gallagher 3rd of October: "I am being completely transparent about my role in State Boards and the monies I have received for my participation on State boards as I believe the office of the President demands it and the Irish people deserve it." Completely transparent? Sean obviously needs to brush up on his English as well as his Irish.
    The question here is why did the company get €830,000 from state agencies when a larger amount was allowed to be paid to both Directors?
    From Vincent Browne: Gallagher received loan in 2009 that breached company law.
    A large loan that breached company law was paid to Presidential candidate Sean Gallagher by one his companies in 2009. Asked about the matter yesterday Mr Gallagher said it had been brought to his attention by his accountant in 2010 and the money had been repaid.
    Illegal loans to company directors were highlighted by the Director of Corporate Enforcement Paul Appleby in May 2009, and an amendment to the Companies Act in July 2009 made it easier to prosecute such offences.
    Seán Gallagher tried to raise cash from BES investors in 2009 for his struggling Smarthomes firm.
    Gallagher promised investors in his company Smarthomes two years ago that revenues would grow to €10 million this year and €13 million in 2012, according to documents seen by The Irish Times .
    In fact, turnover stands at a fraction of this level; in the latest figures, for 2009, it is €1.01 million, while employment has dropped to 20 from a peak of 60.
    There has been some unhappiness with what the directors took out of the company.
    Investors were also critical of the amounts of cash the directors took out of the company when it was losing money. In 2008, when Smarthomes lost €650,000, more than €540,000 went to the benefit of the two directors €195,000 in directors’ remuneration, €55,000 in directors’ pension costs, €196,000 on rent payable to the premises they owned and €96,000 in royalties. The first three figures rose over the previous year, despite the overall losses incurred by company.
    THE BUSINESS career of presidential candidate Seán Gallagher indicates his fortunes rose with the property bubble but hit a wall with the rest of the construction sector approximately four years ago.
    Currently, his main source of income appears to be from motivational speaking.
    On Sunday, professor of management at UCD Niamh Brennan said on RTÉ radio that she had a “bad vibe” about the candidate and went on to mention three issues that have been the focus of media coverage in recent days. These are: a director’s loan; royalty payments; and rent.
    The loan has to do with a company Mr Gallagher set up with his wife, Trish O’Connor, in November 2008. The company, Beach House Training and Consultants Ltd, is used by him to charge for his motivational speaking and other fee-generating activities.
    The company’s accounts for the period from incorporation to December 31st, 2009, showed that Mr Gallagher had an interest-free loan of €82,829 from the company at the year’s end.
    This was in breach of company law, which stipulates that a director should not have a loan that exceeds 10 per cent of the company’s assets. Mr Gallagher’s loan was equal to more than 70 per cent of the company’s assets. The objective of the law is to protect creditors. The Beach House creditors at the end of 2009 included the State, with €17,503 being owed in corporation tax and €25,174 being owed in VAT at year’s end. The accumulated profits at the end of 2009 were €114,220.
    Mr Gallagher, when asked about the loan last week, said it had been an “honest mistake” and had been rectified when brought to his attention by his accountant.
    On RTÉ radio he said the loan “relates to a cheque that was lodged into the wrong account . . . And then the accountant treated it as a loan. When it was spotted, it was in fact moved back within four weeks . . .”
    As noted, Beach House is essentially a small company used for Mr Gallagher’s personal finances. Mr Gallagher was asked through his spokesman last week what account he was referring to in his interview and when exactly the loan was repaid. As of last night he had not answered.
    There is another curious aspect about the Beach House accounts. They say that it is owed €49,975 from Surf Seeds Ltd, a snack food company Mr Gallagher invested in as a result of the Dragons’ Den programme. The accounts say Beach House is a 10 per cent shareholder of Surf Seeds. But the company filings for Surf Seeds say Mr Gallagher is a 10 per cent shareholder. They do not mention Beach House. There was no response from Mr Gallagher when asked through his spokesman about the Surf Seeds issue.
    In 2002 Mr Gallagher set up a company, Smarthomes Ltd, with business partner Derek Roddy.
    The company installed wiring in new buildings and its fortunes rose with the property bubble. By 2006 turnover had reached €5 million. That same year a number of Business Expansion Scheme investors put a total of €750,000 into the company.
    Also that year the two partners bought a commercial building in Finnabair Industrial Park, Dundalk, from iQon Technologies, and moved their company in as their tenants.
    The 2006 accounts for iQon show the building was valued at €2.06 million. No loss was booked arising from the sale.
    Commercial property in Dundalk has fallen in value by approximately 50 per cent since, according to local experts, indicating Mr Gallagher’s half share in the building could have fallen in value by €500,000.
    On the other hand, Smarthomes now only uses part of the building with the rest being leased to an Australian company, Probiotec, for what is understood to be a relatively high rent. A third company, The Hanger Company, also rents part of the building.
    According to a spokesman for Smarthomes, the annual rent of €196,283 paid by the company up to 2009 covered Mr Gallagher’s and Mr Roddy’s mortgage repayments. That indicates Mr Gallagher’s obligation is approximately €98,000 per year.
    There has been some controversy over the fact that the company paid this level of rent in 2008 and 2009, when it suffered losses respectively of €674,624 and, approximately, €500,000. It currently pays €10,000 per annum in rent.
    Mr Gallagher and Mr Roddy also received royalty payments from Smarthomes as they had patented the wiring system Smarthomes installed. Mr Gallagher received €167,000 over 10 years, according to the Smarthomes spokesman. This income would have been entirely tax-free as, up until last year, royalty income from patents was free of tax.

Sean Gallagher the farmer/liar Gallagher long claimed that as a 21-year-old he bought a farm of about 20 acres. He has repeated this story several times in interviews throughout his presidential campaign to demonstrate his background as an entrepreneur. However, the current owner of the land has disputed the candidate's version of events, saying not only was the plot of land never owned by Gallagher but that it was also only eight acres in size. Co Cavan farmer Bernard Sheridan said the previous owner of the property was not Gallagher, but his late father John, from whom he purchased the land for £14,000 in the late 1990s. "I didn't buy it from young Sean. Young Sean never owned it," said Mr Sheridan. When confronted with Mr Sheridan's claims, Gallagher did not dispute them. However, he insisted that even if the farm was bought in his father's name, it was his property. "Even if John Gallagher's name was on the papers it was Sean Gallagher’s farm," a statement issued on Gallagher’s behalf said. "It is not uncommon that a father and son would be involved in the purchase of farm land together."

Sean Gallagher an ambassador for Irish culture Sean Gallagher at the TG4 debate begins with his apologies that he hasn’t used his Irish as much as he would have liked since the Leaving Cert, but pledges to follow the lead of the McAleeses by brushing up on his command of an Gaelach while in office.
    Sean Gallagher wants to change our national anthem

Sean Gallagher the failed property speculator We are beginning to get a clearer picture of the chancer who would be our President.
    Michael D is correct in identifying Gallagher as a representative of the 'speculative economy'. Gallagher along with a number of local businessmen, had planned to develop a housing estate in the beautiful seaside community of Gyles Quay near Dundalk, Co Louth.
    However, seven years after purchasing the land and three years after receiving planning permission to build 20 houses no work has been carried out on the site and the only structure in place is a derelict public toilet.

Sean Gallagher failed Business advisor A 22-year-old shopowner who was left bitterly disappointed by Sean Gallagher's €500 bill for business advice says he feels "pretty sick" when he hears the presidential candidates' promises to young people.
    Kealan O'Connor, from Navan, Co Meath, said that the presidential favourite promised him two hours of mentoring at €250 an hour but he said the meeting lasted just 90 minutes and he was still charged €500.
    He said his session in February with the businessman and TV star, which promised to bring his "business to the next level", was "useless" and he felt deeply let down.
    Mr Gallagher has become the bookies' frontrunner in the election race after pledging to help young people get off the dole queues and set up businesses.
    His father, Eugene O'Connor, booked the mentoring session for February so they could get some guidance on how to get Kealan's budding confectionery company off the ground.
    They also hoped he might give them some tips on a number of other ideas they had, including a plan to install domestic wine cellars.
    The O'Connors were initially surprised when Mr Gallagher requested full payment in advance of the two-hour session and cashed their cheque immediately, almost two weeks before they met.
    "At the very least, I expected a receipt in the post a few days after sending the cheque, but it did not come for a month and even then I had to request it," Mr O'Connor senior said. The session had been booked to take place in Dundalk, but Mr Gallagher requested that it be changed to Dublin.
    They arrived at 2.30pm, half an hour before their session was due to begin at 3pm because they were paying him "more than €4 a minute".
    "I spotted Sean in the lobby at 2.40pm and introduced myself. I told him we would wait for him in reception. Then, 3pm came and went, and at 20 past, I decided to go and find out what was going on," said Mr O'Connor senior.
    "The receptionist pointed me to a nearby room and I saw Mr Gallagher and his PA sitting there and having a good laugh at our expense. I didn't feel like laughing at all.
    "We felt it was so unprofessional. It was almost 3.30pm by the time we started. That was €125 up in smoke. There was no apology. But we decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and were sure he would make up for it at the other end.
    "As the session progressed, it was as if he was winging it. At one stage, Mr Gallagher said, 'sweets are bad for teeth'. I couldn't believe my ears. I replied, 'and cars kill people'.
    "Then he asked us if we had looked into grants from the Enterprise Board. That's not what we came to the meeting to hear. You can get that sort of information on Google.
    "I wanted my son to leave with his chest pumping with motivation but the whole thing was totally uninspirational. It was the sort of mundane spiel you'd get in a public house or on the sidelines of a football pitch."
    At 4.45pm, Mr Gallagher's PA came in and said he had a train to catch. Ten minutes later, he ended the session.
    "We were stunned," Mr O'Connor senior said.
    "We ended up getting an hour-and-a-half of his time for €500. We sat in the car afterwards, looked at each other and thought, 'what a waste of time and money!'"
    In the promotional material for his mentoring sessions, Mr Gallagher promises to give clients "specific strategies and feedback that will catapult their business forward".
    He says he will provide a "roadmap for growing revenues, gaining traction in the marketplace and achieving goals."
    The O'Connors waited seven weeks for some follow-up material to arrive but it did not.
    "The whole thing was an incredible let-down," said Mr O'Connor senior, adding that the "whole experience was a major disappointment from start to finish".
    In response to the O'Connors' complaints, Mr Gallagher accepted last night that a fee of €500 was charged to them for their mentoring session, and that no follow-up feedback or a report on the session was provided to them.
    In a statement, he said he was unaware of the O'Connors' dissatisfaction and would like to meet them to discuss their concerns but he refused to comment on the allegation that the session only lasted 90 minutes.
    He said the O'Connors had come to him with three business ideas, none of which had "a business plan". Mr Gallagher said that he appraised the ideas and "advised the clients that he always cautioned against multiple plans and suggested they should concentrate on one project". He said he assessed each concept and advised on whether or how they could be taken to market.
    Yesterday, Kealan was contacted by a member of Mr Gallagher's team, who asked to speak to him but he declined. "It's a bit late at this stage," said Kealan.
    "When we saw Mr Gallagher on 'Dragons' Den', we thought he might be able to help us but I knew within 10 minutes of our mentoring session, that he just wasn't interested.
    "When I hear him making so many promises to young people on the campaign trail, I feel pretty sick. He certainly didn't help me. It felt like he just didn't care."

Gallagher the failed Student Our recent Presidents have been highly distinguished academically. So how about the man leading in the opinion polls?
    It seems that after the Leaving Certificate in 1980, Gallagher did the basic learner-farmer course at the Teagasc Agricultural College in his home town of Ballyhaise, Co Cavan, which takes less than a year to complete.
    A few years later, he headed to NUI Maynooth to do a course in community and youth work, apparently the first course of its kind in the country. Gallagher makes much of his involvement in community and youth work - but is there any substance to it?
    So how did the young Gallagher get on at NUI Maynooth? Did he ever get a degree?
    One suspects that if so legendary a self-publicist as Gallagher had a degree, honours or otherwise, we'd have heard all about it.
    He says he did two years in Maynooth. It seems there are no two-year degree courses at NUI Maynooth.
    On the late late debate Sean Gallagher’s failure to recall even 1 piece of legislation from the last 7 years which passed through the ARAS is most shocking of all.

The only saving grace is that the presidential election is almost immaterial, the elected will have almost no powers other than to refer bills to a committee for review (which never comes to anything anyway) and only a sickening waste of money, from the cost of the election to the cost of the ARAS staff and presidential wages and expenses. Only one man has selflessly announced he will take the average industrial wage and give the rest to the unemployed.
    Last edited by murtaep; 26th October 2011 at 12:27 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Seeing the last red C poll, I am ashamed to call myself Irish, Sean Gallagher 41%

You're ashamed to call yourself Irish because people have freedom of choice?

Do you only like being Irish when the rest of the Irish people share your opinions?

And whine of the year goes to......................................

Alas the Blueshirt dream of a Facist Nirvana went out with the 1930's Murtaep...

If you spent that lenght of time writing that, I am also ashamed that you are Irish.

Wow! What a lengthy rant.
    Take it you don't like Sean Gallagher very much then.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

You're ashamed to call yourself Irish because people have freedom of choice?

Do you only like being Irish when the rest of the Irish people share your opinions?
    Seems so. It's a common feature of posters on here who by some leap of their imagination beleive they're representative of the general population.

None of us are

Still he put a lot of effort into his post. Probably worth another 1-2% for Gallagher.

One second there...he wants to change our national anthem?

The only thing a president can actually do is promote our culture, and he wants to change our national anthem?

If this is true, my opinion of him has greatly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by murtaep View Post
    Seeing the last red C poll, I am ashamed to call myself Irish, we as a nation have learned exactly nothing from the previous decade which has destroyed our economy.

Sean Gallagher the liar.
    Gallagher has lied about his membership in Fianna fail. He has rejected claims he was closely connected with Fianna Fail right up to January of this year. He said he quit Fianna Fail in 2009.
    Gallagher was leader of there National executive council up to January 2011.
    He regretfully resigned but claimed he would continue to support his colleagues which is exactly what he did.
    He actively canvassed for at least 3 Fianna Fail candidates in the last general election he himself also openly considered running as the Fianna Fail candidate in Louth. Gallagher launched Fianna Fail campaigns, like Leonards in Monaghan, Charlie McConalogue, Margaret Conlon, Brian Ó Domhnaill and Dara Calleary's in Mayo on 5th. Feb last
    I was blocked from Gallagher’s facebook page once I questioned his Fianna Fail membership.
    Gallagher’s campaign team have failed to answer the question when exactly he resigned as a member of Fianna Fail. The truth is that Gallagher has been a member of Fianna Fail for the last 30 years all his adult life and has been on the Fianna Fail national executive from 1998 to January if this year. He was head of Ógra Fianna Fáil.
    He was offered an appointment to work with Noel Dempsey as a minister.
    He was described as a "staunch Fine Fail supporter" when he was appointed to the new FÁS board, Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise Mary Coughlan announced the names of the new FAS board members on Thursday, January 21 2010. He spoke at Fianna Fail Ogra in August 2010.
    He worked finished working as a political secretary for then-Health minister and Cavan-Monaghan TD Rory O’Hanlon up to 2003 and 2007 when he acted as a campaign manager for Louth’s Seamus Kirk."
    He attended Ógra Fianna Fáil National Youth Conference in Bundoran in November 2009.
    Sean Gallagher's listed Electoral agent is Cathal Lee.
    This is the same Cathal Lee who was chair of the Kevin Barry Cumann in UCD who was a member of the Fianna Fail National Executive.
    The RTE news, who had been following Gallagher around on the campaign trail showed a video report,
    Included in the clips were one of a young person telling him.. well I won't be voting for you, then one of a bearded man engaging him as gaelige, and showing up his lack of fluency of the language.. but perhaps the defining image of the peace, was a man rushing across to meet and greet Gallagher and shake his hand furiously along with a clap on the back..
    After Gallagher had moved on the camera crew asked the man why he was supporting Gallagher and he forcefully claimed, he's a good FF man, was a good FF member..
    Then it cut away to Gallagher furiously denying his links to the hierarchy of the party, while still trying to mollify the hard core FF members.
    Gallagher claimed he was going to redefine how election campaigns are done by calling for a poster free ARAS campaign.
    After making a virtue of the fact he wasn’t going to do posters, Sean Gallagher's posters have sprung up on dust bins in shopping centers throughout the country.
    In addition Gallagher has said each poster costs the taxpayer €3 so how much will Gallagher's bin posters cost the taxpayer? It seems Gallagher is well and truly from the FF gene pool say one thing and do another.
    To further proof he is a lair you only need to listen to his promises, almost everything he is promising he cannot deliver on.

Sean Gallagher the Fianna Failer On the primetime presidential debate Gallagher refused to condemn Fianna Fail for the destruction of the Irish economy, 12 hours later Gallagher’s adviser sprung into action as a result of the backlash and Gallagher backtracked with some well designed spin.
    THE Galway tent was abolished once Brian Cowen became leader of Fianna Fail, but the culture didn't change in the party.
    The high-profile racecourse marquee was replaced by low-key discreet gatherings in hotels where businessmen were invited to hand over €5,000 a head.
    On the first night of July 2008, a select group of businessmen from the north-east region gathered in the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Dundalk. Among the 40 men present were business figures from the retail, hotels, property and food sectors in the area.
    According to a source, those in attendance joked "the fundraiser was an alternative to the Galway tent which was cancelled by Cowen earlier that year".
    Presidential election candidate Sean Gallagher was there. He invited a number of business associates to attend the event. He passed on details of other businessmen in the region to Fianna Fail headquarters to contact.
    The guests with the lucrative cheques had direct access to then Taoiseach Brian Cowen, just weeks after he had become leader of the country.
    Gallagher sees nothing wrong with such fundraisers where the cosy links between big business and politics are fostered.
    After the Irish Independent revealed his involvement in the organisation of the event yesterday, he endeavored to play down his role. Not once did he say he saw anything wrong with the fundraiser.
    His morals are still aligned firmly to the Fianna Fail of the past where dig-outs and dinners were acceptable.
    He convinces himself that because he didn't directly ask for the money, he has no question to answer.
    Gallagher simply invited business associates to a fundraiser, where they would just happen to be asked to donate €5,000.
    The contempt, with which he treats the public with this explanation, lacking in any integrity, is truly astonishing.
    Just because he didn't physically collect the money in a bag doesn't mean he didn't know exactly what was going on.
    Gallagher portrays himself as a fellah who brings an alcoholic to a bar in a brewery -- but doesn't tell them to take a drink.
    Pleadings of innocence are nothing new among Gallagher's friends in old school Fianna Fail.
    • Bertie Ahern received loans and gifts from businessmen.
    • Cowen went playing golf and had dinner with Anglo Irish Bank bosses, but never discussed the fortunes of the bank.
    • Bertie Ahern's buddy, Michael Wall, went to dinners but didn't eat the meal.
    • Gallagher went to the dinner but didn't hand over any money or ask for any money.
    Claiming to be just an ordinary grassroots member of Fianna Fail, he fails to recognise many of the party's ordinary grassroots members had no time for these types of fundraising activities, which have enormously damaged the reputation of the party.
    Not Sean Gallagher.
    He claims the event wasn't secret, yet its existence was never publicised and is only emerging now because of his presidential election campaign.
    His efforts to be an everyman figure for the economic recovery are steadily crumbling as his past comes under greater scrutiny.
    He is more interested in the glossy photoshoots and the sound bites than being clear in his answers.

Sean Gallagher failed businessman. Gallagher’s main selling point is jobs. After receiving almost a million Euros in grants, loans and salary from various quango’s and boards, he has created 60 jobs through the boom with the company smart homes 20 of those jobs now remain. All investments in the dragons den has failed to materialise any profit. After his smart home company began top make losses, Sean cut his loses and him and his business partner paid themselves 860,000€. At the time a group of small ordinary investors were left disgruntled after making losses on their investments in the firm. Gallagher got a loan of €25,394 from the Louth County Enterprise Board (the board did not get all the money back and were forced to seek legal advice on how to go about getting back the portion they did, just 19,000€ was returned) and €41,970 from the North-South body Intertrade
    Ireland from which he was a board member and received €41,550 in pay. This is a disgusting conflict of interests.
    Sean Gallaghers company "Smarthomes" has received €693,001 in funding from Enterprise Ireland.
    Sean Gallagher 3rd of October: "I am being completely transparent about my role in State Boards and the monies I have received for my participation on State boards as I believe the office of the President demands it and the Irish people deserve it." Completely transparent? Sean obviously needs to brush up on his English as well as his Irish.
    The question here is why did the company get €830,000 from state agencies when a larger amount was allowed to be paid to both Directors?
    From Vincent Browne: Gallagher received loan in 2009 that breached company law.
    A large loan that breached company law was paid to Presidential candidate Sean Gallagher by one his companies in 2009. Asked about the matter yesterday Mr Gallagher said it had been brought to his attention by his accountant in 2010 and the money had been repaid.
    Illegal loans to company directors were highlighted by the Director of Corporate Enforcement Paul Appleby in May 2009, and an amendment to the Companies Act in July 2009 made it easier to prosecute such offences.
    Seán Gallagher tried to raise cash from BES investors in 2009 for his struggling Smarthomes firm.
    Gallagher promised investors in his company Smarthomes two years ago that revenues would grow to €10 million this year and €13 million in 2012, according to documents seen by The Irish Times .
    In fact, turnover stands at a fraction of this level; in the latest figures, for 2009, it is €1.01 million, while employment has dropped to 20 from a peak of 60.
    There has been some unhappiness with what the directors took out of the company.
    Investors were also critical of the amounts of cash the directors took out of the company when it was losing money. In 2008, when Smarthomes lost €650,000, more than €540,000 went to the benefit of the two directors €195,000 in directors’ remuneration, €55,000 in directors’ pension costs, €196,000 on rent payable to the premises they owned and €96,000 in royalties. The first three figures rose over the previous year, despite the overall losses incurred by company.

Sean Gallagher the farmer/liar Gallagher long claimed that as a 21-year-old he bought a farm of about 20 acres. He has repeated this story several times in interviews throughout his presidential campaign to demonstrate his background as an entrepreneur. However, the current owner of the land has disputed the candidate's version of events, saying not only was the plot of land never owned by Gallagher but that it was also only eight acres in size. Co Cavan farmer Bernard Sheridan said the previous owner of the property was not Gallagher, but his late father John, from whom he purchased the land for £14,000 in the late 1990s. "I didn't buy it from young Sean. Young Sean never owned it," said Mr Sheridan. When confronted with Mr Sheridan's claims, Gallagher did not dispute them. However, he insisted that even if the farm was bought in his father's name, it was his property. "Even if John Gallagher's name was on the papers it was Sean Gallagher’s farm," a statement issued on Gallagher’s behalf said. "It is not uncommon that a father and son would be involved in the purchase of farm land together." Mr Gallagher has long claimed that as a 21-year-old he bought a farm of about 20 acres. He has repeated this story several times in interviews throughout his presidential campaign to demonstrate his background as an entrepreneur. However, the current owner of the land has disputed the candidate's version of events, saying not only was the plot of land never owned by Mr Gallagher but that it was also only eight acres in size. Co Cavan farmer Bernard Sheridan said the previous owner of the property was not Gallagher, but his late father John, from whom he purchased the land for £14,000 in the late 1990s. "I didn't buy it from young Sean. Young Sean never owned it," said Mr Sheridan. When confronted with Mr Sheridan's claims, Gallagher did not dispute them. However, he insisted that even if the farm was bought in his father's name, it was his property. "Even if John Gallagher’s name was on the papers it was Sean Gallagher’s farm," a statement issued on Mr Gallagher’s behalf said. "It is not uncommon that a father and son would be involved in the purchase of farm land together."

Sean Gallagher an ambassador for Irish culture Sean Gallagher at the TG4 debate begins with his apologies that he hasn’t used his Irish as much as he would have liked since the Leaving Cert, but pledges to follow the lead of the McAleeses by brushing up on his command of an Gaelach while in office.
    Sean Gallagher wants to change our national anthem

Sean Gallagher the failed property speculator We are beginning to get a clearer picture of the chancer who would be our President.
    Michael D is correct in identifying Gallagher as a representative of the 'speculative economy'. Gallagher along with a number of local businessmen, had planned to develop a housing estate in the beautiful seaside community of Gyles Quay near Dundalk, Co Louth.
    However, seven years after purchasing the land and three years after receiving planning permission to build 20 houses no work has been carried out on the site and the only structure in place is a derelict public toilet.

Sean Gallagher failed Business advisor A 22-year-old shopowner who was left bitterly disappointed by Sean Gallagher's €500 bill for business advice says he feels "pretty sick" when he hears the presidential candidates' promises to young people.
    Kealan O'Connor, from Navan, Co Meath, said that the presidential favourite promised him two hours of mentoring at €250 an hour but he said the meeting lasted just 90 minutes and he was still charged €500.
    He said his session in February with the businessman and TV star, which promised to bring his "business to the next level", was "useless" and he felt deeply let down.
    Mr Gallagher has become the bookies' frontrunner in the election race after pledging to help young people get off the dole queues and set up businesses.
    His father, Eugene O'Connor, booked the mentoring session for February so they could get some guidance on how to get Kealan's budding confectionery company off the ground.
    They also hoped he might give them some tips on a number of other ideas they had, including a plan to install domestic wine cellars.
    The O'Connors were initially surprised when Mr Gallagher requested full payment in advance of the two-hour session and cashed their cheque immediately, almost two weeks before they met.
    "At the very least, I expected a receipt in the post a few days after sending the cheque, but it did not come for a month and even then I had to request it," Mr O'Connor senior said. The session had been booked to take place in Dundalk, but Mr Gallagher requested that it be changed to Dublin.
    They arrived at 2.30pm, half an hour before their session was due to begin at 3pm because they were paying him "more than €4 a minute".
    "I spotted Sean in the lobby at 2.40pm and introduced myself. I told him we would wait for him in reception. Then, 3pm came and went, and at 20 past, I decided to go and find out what was going on," said Mr O'Connor senior.
    "The receptionist pointed me to a nearby room and I saw Mr Gallagher and his PA sitting there and having a good laugh at our expense. I didn't feel like laughing at all.
    "We felt it was so unprofessional. It was almost 3.30pm by the time we started. That was €125 up in smoke. There was no apology. But we decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and were sure he would make up for it at the other end.
    "As the session progressed, it was as if he was winging it. At one stage, Mr Gallagher said, 'sweets are bad for teeth'. I couldn't believe my ears. I replied, 'and cars kill people'.
    "Then he asked us if we had looked into grants from the Enterprise Board. That's not what we came to the meeting to hear. You can get that sort of information on Google.
    "I wanted my son to leave with his chest pumping with motivation but the whole thing was totally uninspirational. It was the sort of mundane spiel you'd get in a public house or on the sidelines of a football pitch."
    At 4.45pm, Mr Gallagher's PA came in and said he had a train to catch. Ten minutes later, he ended the session.
    "We were stunned," Mr O'Connor senior said.
    "We ended up getting an hour-and-a-half of his time for €500. We sat in the car afterwards, looked at each other and thought, 'what a waste of time and money!'"
    In the promotional material for his mentoring sessions, Mr Gallagher promises to give clients "specific strategies and feedback that will catapult their business forward".
    He says he will provide a "roadmap for growing revenues, gaining traction in the marketplace and achieving goals."
    The O'Connors waited seven weeks for some follow-up material to arrive but it did not.
    "The whole thing was an incredible let-down," said Mr O'Connor senior, adding that the "whole experience was a major disappointment from start to finish".
    In response to the O'Connors' complaints, Mr Gallagher accepted last night that a fee of €500 was charged to them for their mentoring session, and that no follow-up feedback or a report on the session was provided to them.
    In a statement, he said he was unaware of the O'Connors' dissatisfaction and would like to meet them to discuss their concerns but he refused to comment on the allegation that the session only lasted 90 minutes.
    He said the O'Connors had come to him with three business ideas, none of which had "a business plan". Mr Gallagher said that he appraised the ideas and "advised the clients that he always cautioned against multiple plans and suggested they should concentrate on one project". He said he assessed each concept and advised on whether or how they could be taken to market.
    Yesterday, Kealan was contacted by a member of Mr Gallagher's team, who asked to speak to him but he declined. "It's a bit late at this stage," said Kealan.
    "When we saw Mr Gallagher on 'Dragons' Den', we thought he might be able to help us but I knew within 10 minutes of our mentoring session, that he just wasn't interested.
    "When I hear him making so many promises to young people on the campaign trail, I feel pretty sick. He certainly didn't help me. It felt like he just didn't care."

Gallagher the failed Student Our recent Presidents have been highly distinguished academically. So how about the man leading in the opinion polls?
    It seems that after the Leaving Certificate in 1980, Gallagher did the basic learner-farmer course at the Teagasc Agricultural College in his home town of Ballyhaise, Co Cavan, which takes less than a year to complete.
    A few years later, he headed to NUI Maynooth to do a course in community and youth work, apparently the first course of its kind in the country. Gallagher makes much of his involvement in community and youth work - but is there any substance to it?
    So how did the young Gallagher get on at NUI Maynooth? Did he ever get a degree?
    One suspects that if so legendary a self-publicist as Gallagher had a degree, honours or otherwise, we'd have heard all about it.
    He says he did two years in Maynooth. It seems there are no two-year degree courses at NUI Maynooth.
    On the late late debate Sean Gallagher’s failure to recall even 1 piece of legislation from the last 7 years which passed through the ARAS is most shocking of all.

The only saving graces is that the presidential election is almost immaterial, the elected will have almost no powers other than to refer bills to a committee for review (which never comes to anything anyway) and only a sickening waste of money, from the cost of the election to the cost of the ARAS staff and presidential wages and expenses. Only one man has selflessly announced he will take the average industrial wage and give the rest to the exchequer.

MODS can we close this thread, there's one open on the poll already.

Please merge or shut down soon.

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment