Register to Comment
Page 1 of 38 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes
    Twitter
    @

Michael D Higgins asks all Dublin City Labour Cllrs to support Norris' nomination

Labour Presidential candidate Michael D Higgins has requested that all Labour Councillors on Dublin City Council support David Norris' nomination tonight at their meeting.

Earlier, Sinn Fein's Larry O'Toole confirmed that all SF'd Cllrs (bar one, who can't make the meeting) will be supporting David Norris' nomination.

Michael D understood to have asked Lab councillors in Dublin to facilitate Norris. A split Lab vote would be enough to get Norris nominated

Source: RTÉ's Fergal Keane
    Text of address by Michael D. Higgins to Dublin City Labour Councillors

I appreciate the great support which the Dublin’s Labour Party councillors and indeed certain independent councillors, have shown for me as candidate for the Presidency and I also appreciate the very particular circumstances in which these councillors currently find themselves.

It is in this context that I am responding to the request from Dublin councillors that I might meet with in advance of their deliberations this evening. The decision, of course, rests with each individual councillor in the end – indeed, the Labour Party has been consistent in stating that that it will not place any restrictions on the free vote of councillors in this matter.

However, in this meeting, I will be offering my personal opinion, as their candidate, that given the prevailing circumstances and bearing in mind that I have consistently described the nomination criteria for the Presidency as outdated and in need of review, I believe they should not seek to obstruct the entrance of David Norris as a candidate into the field.

I hope that the campaign can now move on and become a real discussion about what we as a people want for Ireland over the next seven years. I believe that the creative and inclusive vision I am offering along with my record as a progressive voice for social justice will make me a President for all the people of Ireland. I look forward to Dublin Councillors supporting me on the ground and sharing the vision I am offering with their communities across the city.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Should be done and dusted then.

Clever move. Hopefully the transfers will come.

Hope they listen to him. Fair play to Michael D. Norris, by some accounts, is going to be one of his major rivals if nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by seanad voter View Post
    Clever move. Hopefully the transfers will come.
    Following on from Gallaghers move to free up local authorities once he reached the 4.
    Should get a few more votes for Michael D.

Higgins only did that after it was clear SF was voting Norris anyway.

For all his poetry, for all his noble republican values, he is a crafy and ruthless operator.

Pity Higgins did not come out sooner when it was needed. He sees which way the wind is blowing now, and a nice pitch for transfers ?

Good man Michael D!

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    Hope they listen to him. Fair play to Michael D. Norris, by some accounts, is going to be one of his major rivals if nominated.
    erm.. Not if we see the other letters, he won't

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    Higgins only did that after it was clear SF was voting Norris anyway.

For all his poetry, for all his noble republican values, he is a crafy and ruthless operator.
    Well, there's another point in his favour, so.

Page 1 of 38 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment