Register to Comment
Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast

Irish citizens who died fighting for Britain

This is a question' that i would like to ask the member's of sinn fein, what is the party's position on the Irish people who fought and died in the world war 1and in world war 2.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'd say it's this :
    Send us on their names and Irish addresses and you'll find that they will have miraculously voted in the next general election !

Re: Irish citizens who died fighting for Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Knockboy
    This is a question' that i would like to ask the member's of sinn fein, what is the party's position on the Irish people who fought and died in the world war 1and in world war 2.
    Scum. Traitors. West Brits.

Thats the usual consensus.

I presume it is that they are dead and that attempts by other partys to use their bodies as a stick to beat SF with is a bit morbid.

As far as I am concerned their deaths were tragic and, like most other soldiers there they were there on the back of lies and were foghting a capitalist war which had nothing to do with the protection of small countries around Europe let alone Home Rule which was never really on the table and in any case would have made absolutely no difference to the poverty from which many of the men came.

If they put on a British uniform while that army occupied this country they are traitors plain and simple.

What day of the year is dedicated to Benedict Arnold in the American calendar? Didn't he take the queens shilling too?

there's was a different Ireland to the one we now enjoy, they fought for the british in most cases for the money to feed their families. The soldiers, sailors and airmen/women that payed the ultimate price should be remember by all Irish people as hero's and a special day to commemorate them should be put into the Irish calendar

Quote Originally Posted by gob************************e
    I presume it is that they are dead and that attempts by other partys to use their bodies as a stick to beat SF with is a bit morbid.

As far as I am concerned their deaths were tragic and, like most other soldiers there they were there on the back of lies and were foghting a capitalist war which had nothing to do with the protection of small countries around Europe let alone Home Rule which was never really on the table and in any case would have made absolutely no difference to the poverty from which many of the men came.
    I agree.

And by looking at the 'expected SF reply' posts I think you can safely say that this topic is another attempted SF bashing exercise.

The real question is, and one which the anti-SF brigade have never given me an answer for is how, given the declarations of the 'estbld' parties, FF,FG,Lab,Pd's that you cannot have a private army with no mandate which is responsible fo the deaths of innocent people yet those same parties stand up every easter to commemorate the actions of a private army, with no mandate who were responsible for the deaths of innocent people.

What is their opinion on the innocent people who died during Easter 1916 and how can they justify commemorating it given the positions they hold now to armed struggle?

As far the Nazis were concerned, WW2 was primarily a war against the jews, hence the increased resources devoted to their murder (e.g. in Hungary in late 44 and early 45) even as it was abundently clear that Germany would lose.

How was fighting this a 'capitalist war'?

Quote Originally Posted by woodie

As far the Nazis were concerned, WW2 was primarily a war against the jews, hence the increased resources devoted to their murder (e.g. in Hungary in late 44 and early 45) even as it was abundently clear that Germany would lose.

How was fighting this a 'capitalist war'?
    dont want to jump the gun here but the reference to a capitalist war appears to be made concerning WW1 - I would agree with that.
    Secondly what led to WW2 fot the Nazis was not just about getting rid of the Jews per se, it was about getting rid of the Jews because it was perceived they had prospered during an enforced economic depression.

Skin, you appear to accept that WW2 was not a capitalist war in the way WW1 was and, as far as the Nazis were concerned, it was first and foremost about getting rid of the jews.

If so, do you think that it was correct to fight the Nazis?

Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment