Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

I was in favour of a history essays section, but I don't know if this forum will work. Politics and history just melt on this site and perhaps its better that we leave it like that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Right I'll start.

I'v been reading up a good bit on ancient & medieval Irish History (pre 1169) recently.

There is a huge amount of original material here that was written in Irish and Latin too.

Given that Irish as it is taught in schools is a big turn off for so many students should we not think of replacing it with a broader curriculum that reflects a study of Irish History and Culture of which the Language would be an integral but not an exclusive part?

I recall when I studied Latin in school the History and Culture of Rome gained one points in the Leaving Cert.

Also in Maynooth when I took Greek and Roman in 1st Year the languages of those two civilizations were options that could be pursued further if one wanted.

So a Course on Ancient Irish History and Culture for Secondary school students anyone?

I know my Irish would be a lot better if I had an option like that in my day!

I personally would love to see some early Irish history dating back to the late 1100's carrying it to present date. Oh please someone who is a history buff do this for me. Oh please, oh please! Alot of times I get lost in a debate or do not even enter it because of my lack of knowledge on the past history. It is hard to understand the present without understanding the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird
    I personally would love to see some early Irish history dating back to the late 1100's carrying it to present date. Oh please someone who is a history buff do this for me. Oh please, oh please! Alot of times I get lost in a debate or do not even enter it because of my lack of knowledge on the past history. It is hard to understand the present without understanding the past!

In the meantime, why not go to Wiki and type in Irish History and have a read of all the info. It's general and relatively basic, but gives a grounding and you can take it from there.

At school I studied Greek and Latin - never a great fan of the languages but the mythology that then links into the early history brings the subject to life. As the language of a people is inherently linked with the history of the country it brings both subjects more to life. If only someone could make English an interesting subject rather than the tedium of capital letters and full stops - do many of us speak that much more of it at 20 than we did at thirteen and why is it considered acceptable to get C/D grades in your own language!

Sorry to put an English twist to it but how appalling is it that we need to make it a compulsory subject for 11 years because otherwise so few would continue the study of their own culture - and to boot in so many parts of the country that this is also at the expense of a regions history and tradition.

At the moment the irish history LC course starts in 1870 and ends in 1949

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcgahon dundalk YFG
    Well there is no doubting it's importance but at what stage would a modern secondary school student study say Ancient Irish History or would they at all?

In my day Irish History stopped in 1921!

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcgahon dundalk YFG
    Went to the 60s when I sat it in 2004 so far as I remember. Having done history at University you do begin to forget what you did where though.

[quote=johnfás]
    Quote Originally Posted by "johnmcgahon dundalk YFG":bnvlihs9
    Went to the 60s when I sat it in 2004 so far as I remember. Having done history at University you do begin to forget what you did where though.[/quote:bnvlihs9]
    Yeah, it covered the start of the Troubles, but as things were still messy in the North, they didn't want to treat post-1969 as 'history'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment