Register to Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Deputy of Listowel View Post
    How dare you chastise a great Irishman such as Daniel O'Connell.
    Like many distinguished Kerryman, he espoused pragmatism, realism and declined to live in the make believe world that sadly some of you appear to inhabit.

It was also said that one couldn't throw a stone over a workhouse wall without hitting one of Dan's offspring. Ya boy ya.

O'Connell's Steam Engine
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Trampas:
    My original post was written simply to reproach Gabha Óir for his unwarranted chastisement of Daniel O’Connell which I believe was unfair, bear in mind that the departed can’t defend themselves. I fail utterly to comprehend why people resort to this, and what exactly it has got to do with the Irish language in the first instance.
    I can only surmise that it is merely some kind of evasive tactic, let’s indulge in character assassination rather than confront the real issues pertaining to the language. None of the observations that I’ve alluded to in that post has been even addressed. With the general reluctance to engage in proper dialog, is it any wonder that Irish is in such a sorry state.

Trampas:
    My original post was written simply to reproach Gabha Óir for his unwarranted chastisement of Daniel O’Connell which I believe was unfair, bear in mind that the departed can’t defend themselves. I fail utterly to comprehend why people resort to this, and what exactly it has got to do with the Irish language in the first instance.
    I can only surmise that it is merely some kind of evasive tactic, let’s indulge in character assassination rather than confront the real issues pertaining to the language. None of the observations that I’ve alluded to in that post has been even addressed. With the general reluctance to engage in proper dialog, is it any wonder that Irish is in such a sorry state.
    Why should someone who feels that DOC was not a great Irishman be chastised for stating his opinion? You have the opportunity to defend him on this forum, do it, don't just restate your opinion of the man and expect others to accept it. It is a site for discussion, not a place where people must accept your indignant protestations.

You're defence was based on a ridiculous statement attributed to DOC which neither rings true nor makes the slightest sense. You have been challenged that the man was involved in some unsavoury behaviour, are you going to deny or even discuss the accusations? Loving your county is hardly the basis on which to judge historical figures. If that was the case, my hero could be Dominic McGlinchey.

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    Why should someone who feels that DOC was not a great Irishman be chastised for stating his opinion? You have the opportunity to defend him on this forum, do it, don't just restate your opinion of the man and expect others to accept it. It is a site for discussion, not a place where people must accept your indignant protestations.

You're defence was based on a ridiculous statement attributed to DOC which neither rings true nor makes the slightest sense. You have been challenged that the man was involved in some unsavoury behaviour, are you going to deny or even discuss the accusations? Loving your county is hardly the basis on which to judge historical figures. If that was the case, my hero could be Dominic McGlinchey.
    No, DOC personal life is exactly that ‘personal’ and has no relevance whatsoever to his reputation as a great Irishman. Parnell was also subjected to the same vilification, again because of his private personal affairs. Therefore it’s not at all surprising that no leader of any distinction or fortitude has emerged since, they know what to expect, hence the low caliber ineffectual leadership that we have to endure today.

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post

Hear, hear. O'Connell was an absolute disgrace. He sat on his hands during the famine and is extremely overrated as a Nationalist and Irish hero. I did an essay about him in history in UCD, I hated doing it but got a good grade nonetheless.

The Irish language died
    Did it, really????? That's news to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora View Post
    Did it, really????? That's news to me...
    Good one mate.

No, DOC personal life is exactly that ‘personal’ and has no relevance whatsoever to his reputation as a great Irishman. Parnell was also subjected to the same vilification, again because of his private personal affairs. Therefore it’s not at all surprising that no leader of any distinction or fortitude has emerged since, they know what to expect, hence the low caliber ineffectual leadership that we have to endure today.
    He was a toady, not only to the British but to the Vatican. He played to the power as he saw it at the time. Hardly a man of vision. A two bit wide boy that was prepared to sell his soul to the next johnny come lately. Long may the flying rodents take a really long and unprovoked dump on his copper cranium.

"I will use all my influence as in the past, to ensure that Irish as a spoken language shall die out as quickly as possible, for I consider the Gaelic League in their endeavor to preserve Irish as a spoken language are enemies of their country whose mischievous sentimentality should be denounced by all friends of Ireland."

- George Fitzgerald, Professor of Philosophy (and former Commissioner of Education), Trinity College Dublin, in a letter to Douglas Hyde, 1899
    Quoted in Douglas Hyde: A Maker of Modern Ireland
    Janet Egleson Dunleavy & Gareth W. Dunleavy, University of California Press, 1991. p. 211
    Douglas Hyde: A Maker of Modern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by diy01 View Post
    Thanks!

He had a successful law practice in Munster partly due to his fluency in Irish. Many of his clients were themselves native speakers.

I guess he thought himself a progressive, utilitarian individual who saw English as the only way Catholics could be full and equal members of the British Empire.
    A Fine Gaeler in other words.

D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment