Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pat Flannery on the "Scots-Irish".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJn7KSmZQSk&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Irish History -"Spain and Ireland" Part 1 of 10[/ame]

from 6:00 onwards - One of the most succinct debunkings of the artificial construct of the "Scots-Irish" and the revisionist history downplaying the significant Irish involvment in the founding of America.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

As it seems appropriate, can I just add in this little potted history of one of the greatest scams of our times?
    Seriously, only Unionists could be thick-headed enough to have bought this nonsense.

Skin Flicks: The Ulster-Scots Scam

Weren't there some Unionists in the 70s who wanted to start a
    pro-Unionist Irish Language movement (one of them gave a good
    review to Padraig O Snodaigh's "Hidden Ulster" book) ? What happened to
    them?
    Last edited by Lao-Tse; 4th February 2009 at 09:40 PM.

The main guy was arrested as part of the Kincora House scandal.

I read that the pre-'famine' Irish in America called themselves Irish at first and then changed it to Scots-Irish after the 'famine' (Catholic) Irish started arriving in huge numbers, the newcomers were unwelcome and regarded as 'inferior' (it is a fact at that time that if you were Irish you had to be registered as 'coloured' in the US!) and the descendents of the 18th Century arrivals wanted to distinguish themselves from them.

The term 'Scots-Irish' even when applied to 18th/19thC individuals born in Ireland is valid if it is used to identify them as being part of one of the various traditions in Ireland during those times (in this case the Presbyterian tradition), yes they were Irish born, they were Irish as we know it now - but back then other differences were more profound, laws were even enacted to reinforce and define the differences - penal laws placing Anglicans at the top, Presbyterians in the middle and Catholics (tending to be Gaelic Irish) at the bottom.

The divisions in Ireland that linger to this day are also further proof of the layering in the Irish identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thranduil View Post
    I read that the pre-'famine' Irish in America called themselves Irish at first and then changed it to Scots-Irish after the 'famine' (Catholic) Irish started arriving in huge numbers, the newcomers were unwelcome and regarded as 'inferior' (it is a fact at that time that if you were Irish you had to be registered as 'coloured' in the US!) and the descendents of the 18th Century arrivals wanted to distinguish themselves from them.

The divisions in Ireland that linger to this day are also further proof of the layering in the Irish identity.
    Anti-Irish racism was the inspiration for later racism against Africans and Asians.

The Irish had no rights under Anglo-Norman rule in Ireland.

I recall reading that a Norman Lord was once accused of raping an Irish woman.

He was aquitted on the grounds that "she is an Irishwoman"

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    As it seems appropriate, can I just add in this little potted history of one of the greatest scams of our times?
    Seriously, only Unionists could be thick-headed enough to have bought this nonsense.

Skin Flicks: The Ulster-Scots Scam
    I'm not making this up, the following is from a paper published by the 'Depairtment o Halth, Social Sairvices an Public Sauftie' and is Signed by Bairbre de Brun.

Priorities wul tak in:

Investin in the infrastructur o general doctorin prattik, the lyke o the laivels an gualitie o staff as wirks in Primarie care, the qualitie o up-pittin, oot-o-oors sairvices an infirmation an communications technologie.

Haein a deuk at the skowth for an resource wants o forderin new sairvices in primarie care.

and so it goes on, when will it end?

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    and so it goes on, when will it end?
    When the Brits stop paying for it

And when the target audience for this farrago of nonsense - ie the descendants of the planters - come to realise they are being taken for utter idiots when they are told by these scamsters that they have a 'secret history' and 'forgotten language' that in fact do not exist.
    Their heritage is their religion and history, their culture is an amalgam of Irish culture and British, their language almost without exception is English (of the Mid-Ulster Hiberno-variety).
    They aren't 'Ulster Scots'. They aren't any type of Scot. They are Irish, or if they prefer, Ulstermen (itself an Irish subset.) They don't have a secret long-lost language of 'Ulster-Scots'. It doesn't exist - these chancers are making it up literally as they go along.
    They're being taken for mugs, and to be honest, I feel sorry for them. Their political leaders have divorced them from the vibrant Irish culture which is their legitimate heritage, and they have been offered in its vacuum this nonsense as a cultural inheritance.
    The millions ploughed into this crap by both governments only serves to prolong the delusion.
    I feel strongly that the dissenter people of the north have been badly duped. I hold the fervent hope that they will see through the Ulster-Scots scam and reject it for the fakery and hokum that it is.

Why don't they try learning Scots Gaelic or Irish then,if they want
    an ancestral language? Stop messing around with this silly fake dialect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment