Register to Comment
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    Yes, it's also a perfect breeding ground for shallow, uninsightful assertions too.
    And why might that be? Do you know the first thing about Catholic theology?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by WellNow View Post
    And why might that be? Do you know the first thing about Catholic theology?
    I was agreeing with your previous statement.

HSE gave €87m since 2006 to Magdalene nuns

HSE gave €87m since 2006 to Magdalene nuns

The Irish Times - Tuesday, June 21, 2011

PATSY McGARRY, Religious Affairs Correspondent

THE HSE has provided € 87 million in the past five years to three of the four religious congregations that ran the Magdalene laundries between 1922 and 1996, according to Minister for Health Dr James O’Reilly.

He disclosed the figure in response to a question from Sinn Féin’s Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin.

He found it “astonishing” and said it contrasted “sharply with the State’s treatment of the women imprisoned in these institutions, who received no pay for their years of work, are in receipt of no pension and were excluded from the Residential Institutions Redress Scheme”.

If the State could “pay € 20 million per year to the orders who ran the laundries, it can certainly give the women who survived them their due”, he said.
    For Full Article:
    HSE gave €87m since 2006 to Magdalene nuns - The Irish Times - Tue, Jun 21, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by WellNow View Post
    Shallow, uninsightful assertions.
    Quite factual actually, based on the sorry history of abuse and servitude in the short history of our State. Read the reports into child abuse, the Magdalene laundries and talk to people who remember the real and frightening power of the clergy in this country. Wishing it otherwise doesn't change the facts. Ideas as "viruses" is an analysis (a metaphor if you will) which shows religious ideas to be amongst the very best, the most resistant and the most powerful at replication in our species. There are many reasons for this. You might argue that religion is still a "good thing" and I think it can be from time to time. But we need to start recognising the powerful all-conquering force religious faith is if we are to be serious about bringing more harmony and reason to bear on our planet.

I remember doing contract work in a number of laundries and institutions run by the nuns in the late 80s early 90s. One particular one was in Donnybrook opposite the big Rugby grounds there. Does anyone know if that Donnybrook laundry was part of Magdalenes ??

Quote Originally Posted by marcsignal View Post
    I remember doing contract work in a number of laundries and institutions run by the nuns in the late 80s early 90s. One particular one was in Donnybrook opposite the big Rugby grounds there. Does anyone know if that Donnybrook laundry was part of Magdalenes ??
    I believe so yes

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    I believe so yes
    I remember going in there every six weeks or so, to carry out routine inspections and treatments for Rats and Mice (I worked for Rentokil at the time)

I was only 22 at the time, and had never been inside anywhere like that before. Initially I thought the people working the linen presses, and doing other general work in the laundry were mental patients, and that the nuns were giving them work.

Ironically my first thought, in my blissful ignorance, was, 'fair play to the auld nuns giving work to the handicapped' What I did not realise at the time, was that the average random 50yr old woman working there, was no doubt a woman who had been sent there when she was younger, because she had fallen pregnant.

On some machines, you would have an older woman working with a younger one. What I didn't kop was that in many cases, it was a mother and daughter.

It was only years later that I realised, the people I thought were 'mental patients', were completely normal people, before they had been institutionalised. It was incarceration by the nuns for 40 or more years that made them the way they were

In short, instead of 'giving work to mental patients', it was the nuns who 'turned them into mental patients' by locking them up and exploiting them for free labour.

I have been in at least 6 of these laundries, and visited them every six weeks for six years between 1989-95. All in the south central, south east of Dublin.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by marcsignal View Post
    • Galway Laundry – Grave located at Bohermore Cemetery and Foster Street Sisters of Mercy Consecrated Magdalenes Grave
    • Dun Laoghaire Laundry
    • High Park Laundry – Grave located at Glasnevin Cemetery
    • Donnybrook Laundry – Graves are located adjacent to where the laundry building was – separate crosses with (usually) two names per cross.
    • Peacock Lane Laundry – Grave located at St. Finbarr’s Cemetery – another grave at an unknown location
    • Good Shepherd Limerick - Grave located at Mount St. Laurence Cemetery, Limerick
    • Good Shepherd Cork – Grave located to rear of old laundry building
    • Good Shepherd Waterford – Grave location unknown
    • Good Shepherd New Ross – Grave location unknown

Justice for Magdalenes (JfM) already have clear photos of the names from the Gloucester Street Laundry grave, which is located at Glasnevin Cemetery.

JfM need photographs of the Magdalene graves around the country. More specifically JfM are looking for clear photographs of the names on the graves. This work will really help JfM in proving their case with the government, JfM really appreciate any help you could offer. JfM are also hoping that some of you might know the location of the graves where they don’t have the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post

Justice for Magdalenes (JfM) already have clear photos of the names from the Gloucester Street Laundry grave, which is located at Glasnevin Cemetery.

JfM need photographs of the Magdalene graves around the country. More specifically JfM are looking for clear photographs of the names on the graves. This work will really help JfM in proving their case with the government, JfM really appreciate any help you could offer. JfM are also hoping that some of you might know the location of the graves where they don’t have the details.
    I have been around every inch of the Donnybrook one, also the Daughters of Charity in Blackrock, Sisters of Mercy in Blackrock, Sisters of Charity etc etc.

If you want to PM me a contact number i will be happy to talk to anyone about this, I know all of these premises in great detail. I remember it like it was last week. I do not have enough posts up to PM anyone myself. I used to be able to do so but there must have been admin changes here on p.ie.

I've just been looking at the Donnybrook laundry on google maps, there was an infirmary for retired nuns that looks like it had since been demolished. It was located at the back. I will get a screenshot and post.

I entered through gate at Brookvale Rd, (opposite rugby ground on RHS) and drove through the archway visible from the gate, parking up on the opposite side.

1 - Infirmary for retired nuns (now demolished)
    2 - Laundry (with chimney visible behind)
    3 - Kitchen (I normally met a nun here who brought me around kitchen and laundry)
    Last edited by marcsignal; 22nd June 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment