Register to Comment
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    "As part of the settlement, Paul Gallagher SC, read an apology to the court on behalf of RTÉ.

In the apology RTÉ acknowledged that it made mistakes and failed to comply with its statutory duty under the Broadcasting Act during the programme broadcast on 24 October 2011.

It acknowledged that it should have verified the origin of the tweet, and the tweet should not have been erroneously attributed to another candidate's Twitter account.

RTÉ also acknowledged that it should not have broadcast the tweet and when it became apparent that it was false, it should have immediately corrected the fact that the provenance of the tweet was mistaken.

It said it failed in its obligations to Mr Gallagher.

RTÉ apologised to Mr Gallagher and acknowledged that the production of the programme fell significantly short of the standards expected by the public and required by law."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1219/92...gallagher-rte/
    Of course RTÉ should have verified the tweet. They were totally remiss

But the motives you attribute to them and the whole Labourite conspiracy nonsense is just wishful thinking on your part, because "Labourites" and all their evil deeds haunt your fevered imagination

Pat Kenny and Frontline went for the high-risk, don't-bother-checking-sources approach because it was ratings gold

Jostling egos and the desire for a history-changing Nighthawks moment nó doubt fed into it too, especially where Pat Kenny was concerned

Vincent Browne was at the same ratings-chasing caper when he pulled the stunt of hauling bags of hard-backed books into the studio for his interview with Martin McGuinness

These guys like to seize the moment and go for the big win that will up their viewership and ratings

From the minute McGuinness looked across at Gallagher and fixed him with that cold, implacable, all-knowing stare, you knew this was going to be compulsive viewing, and that McGuinness had something up his sleeve

Gallagher crumbled because he knew he had been hiding stuff, and didn't know what cards the other guy had

You downplay the importance of Glenna also, because it does not suit your agenda

Gallagher had a large following among the self-employed and SME owners who felt they had been left to hang out to dry after the crash

Gallagher picked up on this hitherto ignored cohort, and kept hammering home the point that he could feel their pain because he too was an SME owner, and his Presidency would focus on their concerns

When Gleanna in her strong, articulate voice squared up to him and said "I am an SME owner. And I can tell you now, you certainly don't represent me" you knew that all the SME people were going to look more closely at Gallagher and what he had been up to.

The whole carefully constructed Gallagher edifice was built on sand. It had started to crumble in the last days of the campaign

McGuinness and SF dealt the fatal blow. Glenna didn't help his cause either

He tried to cover up his past. He was flushed out. He lost the poker game. That's politics
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Wasnt there also an allegation that he charged GAA clubs for assisting them in looking for sports grants.

That wouldn`t go down well.

Most of us give hours a week for free.
    Think that is fact not just an allegation, it was disguised as "consultancy services".

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    "As part of the settlement, Paul Gallagher SC, read an apology to the court on behalf of RTÉ.

In the apology RTÉ acknowledged that it made mistakes and failed to comply with its statutory duty under the Broadcasting Act during the programme broadcast on 24 October 2011.

It acknowledged that it should have verified the origin of the tweet, and the tweet should not have been erroneously attributed to another candidate's Twitter account.

RTÉ also acknowledged that it should not have broadcast the tweet and when it became apparent that it was false, it should have immediately corrected the fact that the provenance of the tweet was mistaken.

It said it failed in its obligations to Mr Gallagher.

RTÉ apologised to Mr Gallagher and acknowledged that the production of the programme fell significantly short of the standards expected by the public and required by law."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1219/92...gallagher-rte/
    As I said, RTE did not accept in the settlement any meaningful element of your vast conspiracy theory. None of your bullsh*t about Labourities and Stickies and all the rest is anywhere to be found in that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Of course RTÉ should have verified the tweet. They were totally remiss

But the motives you attribute to them and the whole Labourite conspiracy nonsense is just wishful thinking on your part, because "Labourites" and all their evil deeds haunt your fevered imagination

Pat Kenny and Frontline went for the high-risk, don't-bother-checking-sources approach because it was ratings gold

Jostling egos and the desire for a history-changing Nighthawks moment nó doubt fed into it too, especially where Pat Kenny was concerned

Vincent Browne was at the same ratings-chasing caper when he pulled the stunt of hauling bags of hard-backed books into the studio for his interview with Martin McGuinness

These guys like to seize the moment and go for the big win that will up their viewership and ratings

From the minute McGuinness looked across at Gallagher and fixed him with that cold, implacable, all-knowing stare, you knew this was going to be compulsive viewing, and that McGuinness had something up his sleeve

Gallagher crumbled because he knew he had been hiding stuff, and didn't know what cards the other guy had

You downplay the importance of Glenna also, because it does not suit your agenda

Gallagher had a large following among the self-employed and SME owners who felt they had been left to hang out to dry after the crash

Gallagher picked up on this hitherto ignored cohort, and kept hammering home the point that he could feel their pain because he too was an SME owner, and his Presidency would focus on their concerns

When Gleanna in her strong, articulate voice squared up to him and said "I am an SME owner. And I can tell you now, you certainly don't represent me" you knew that all the SME people were going to look more closely at Gallagher and what he had been up to.

The whole carefully constructed Gallagher edifice was built on sand. It had started to crumble in the last days of the campaign

McGuinness and SF dealt the fatal blow. Glenna didn't help his cause either

He tried to cover up his past. He was flushed out. He lost the poker game. That's politics
    Spot on. Re McGuinness and Gallagher, there's a chilling but compulsive moment in the debate when McGuinness says something like "I don't think you realise the trouble you're in" to Gallagher. MI5 were right about McGuinness, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    As I said, RTE did not accept in the settlement any meaningful element of your vast conspiracy theory.
    Read the enquiry documents. They accepted that the audience selection process was compromised and not suitable for a presidential debate. BAI also found against RTE. This is what you should read again: "RTÉ apologised to Mr Gallagher and acknowledged that the production of the programme fell significantly short of the standards expected by the public and required by law." See that last part? What does that mean to you?

None of your bullsh*t about Labourities and Stickies and all the rest is anywhere to be found in that statement.
    The Labourite activists were gone by then. So was Pat Kenny and the Frontline show. The Stickies had their pensions and Labour had only one seat more than PBP/Solidarity.

Spot on. Re McGuinness and Gallagher, there's a chilling but compulsive moment in the debate when McGuinness says something like "I don't think you realise the trouble you're in" to Gallagher. MI5 were right about McGuinness, no doubt about it.
    Before there was ever any mention of a tweet, McGuinness had Gallagher on the ropes over the cronyism of developers and FF who according to Mguinness "destroyed this country. And you were up to your neck in that Sean. In fact before I came on the show tonight a gentleman informed me that you arranged a fund raiser to meet Brian Cowen in the Crown Plaza Hotel. In fact youwent to his house to collect the cheque.. Etc"

Then the cheeky McGuinness said as Gallagher searched for an answer about Cairde Fáil fund-raising dinners "I caution you. Sean.... You are in murky water here"

It was like a clip from the Godfather with McGuinness in full, cold interrogation mode---like he was back in the interrogation room in Castlereagh, but this time doing the questioning

That was the popcorn moment. Before any tweet

. I was rooted to my seat watching it. It was brilliant tv----the other candidates seemed to fade away, and you could not take your eyes off McGuinness as you saw that he had found Gallagher's vulnerable spot, and he was going to play this game of poker like the cold, reptilian expert that he was---flushing out Gallagher who did not know what cards McGuinness held

This is the video clip complete with the addition of the fake tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    He has just written a book on Irish Business Success Stories.

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/pr...SABEgJJSvD_BwE
    The Art of the Heel?

So one of the architects of the peace process was making threats on national television? I would suggest it was more Gallagher being shown up for the arsehole that he is.

Twitter
    @

Still, as moral crimes go, organising a few fund raisers for politicians isn't a patch on being complicit in car bombing total strangers. For decades.

As with most of my votes, Michael Twee was chosen as the least bad.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment