Register to Comment
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

The political systems derived from his writings, have all proven to have utterly failed from a lesser to a greater degree. I cannot think of one single territory, which embraced "Marxism" which went on to improve the lot of even a small majority of its people.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Did he advocate gulag, secret police, the deliberate use of famine as a policy of state? I don't think so but i am no student of his. I think he was reacting to the terrible social consequences of industrialization in the 19th century. His idea did cause some to commit unspeakable things, but they led to the western European benign welfare state too.

Quote Originally Posted by paddycomeback View Post
    I think some people are incapable of separating Marxist theory from a loathing of Russians, Chinese and plebs.
    Marx didn't see the magical powers of fiat currency we now have, so it looks like his theory was wrong. But to use him as a cipher for racism and classicism and not judge him as another thinker like Locke, Hegel or Smith has to be wrong too.
    And without his existence we wouldn't have the bogeyman of "cultural Marxism" that unifies the disparate right lunatic fringe.

Mark was related through his mother to Phillips engineering, a company still in business in the electrical sphere.

Twitter
    @

Carl MArks can only wash my car, if I had any.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    200 years ago today Karl Marx was born in Trier Germany into a solid Middle Class family of Jewish background

While Marx was comfortably well off he never really settled at anything and drifted into Revolutionary Politics

A wise fellow he chose to wage War with the Pen rather than the Sword or the Musket.

All this spilling of ink got him into trouble with the Powers that be and eventually he ended up in London where he and his family ended up in poverty due to his chronic unemployment

He is of course best known for The Communist Manifesto that he wrote with Frederich Engels and his latter monumental but virtually unreadable work Das Kapital.

An intelligent man no doubt but one with very little experience of life outside the closed circle of revolutionary politics

Today he is considered one of the Great Men of History

Some admire him

- others loath him.

But no one could deny his influence for better or worse on the Modern World

I prefer Groucho.

still waiting for his call that capitalism would fail. as a family man he sucked, only 3 of his seven kids made it to adulthood

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    still waiting for his call that capitalism would fail. as a family man he sucked, only 3 of his seven kids made it to adulthood
    To be fair infant mortality and life expectancy were very different in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by stakerwallace View Post
    Mark was related through his mother to Phillips engineering, a company still in business in the electrical sphere.

That's shocking.

More significantly, today is the 42nd anniversary of the birth of the most handsome, intelligent and perceptive person ever to come from Luton.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment