Register to Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

To the few jokers who have miscontributed to this thread, will you have a bit of respect for the national language, I myself, for example, steadfastly refused ever to call IW by its name in our native tongue,as it would be vastly denigrating to the language!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

If you had the choice between a 32-county English-speaking Irish Republic with Irish gone the way of Manx and Cornish; or a bilingual Ireland as a full part of the UK with Irish being the first language of at least 50% of the population, what would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecoise View Post
    If you had the choice between a 32-county English-speaking Irish Republic with Irish gone the way of Manx and Cornish; or a bilingual Ireland as a full part of the UK with Irish being the first language of at least 50% of the population, what would you choose?
    It's a silly question. The Irish language is closely linked to Irish nationalism and one would follow the other. Also when you say a "32-county English-speaking Irish Republic" I assume you mean staying in the EU which is a greater threat to Irish sovereignty, culture and people than the brits have ever been

I don't think it's a silly question. And I'm not at all talking about the EU, I'm just talking about an ideal that may never happen but may give some indication of what people believe is more important, politics or culture?

Quote Originally Posted by jackdonny9876 View Post
    "Irish will scarcely be our language in this generation, not even perhaps in the next. But until we have it again on our tongues and in our minds we are not free"
    ~
    Path to Freedom (Chapter 7: Distinctive Culture) - Michael Collins, August 1922

Mick must have agreed with Tacitus

The language of the conqueror in the mouths of the conquered is ever the language of the slave.

I don't think it's a silly question. And I'm not at all talking about the EU, I'm just talking about an ideal that may never happen but may give some indication of what people believe is more important, politics or culture?
    You ask which is more important 'politics' or 'culture' will they are pretty much the same thing. The reunification of Ireland and becoming a sovereign nation is just as big a cultural thing as a political thing. Really you're asking me which is a more important cultural thing for me sovereignty or the Irish language.

Ah, scaoil amach do bhobalaín duit féin, a bhuachaill.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdonny9876 View Post
    "Irish will scarcely be our language in this generation, not even perhaps in the next. But until we have it again on our tongues and in our minds we are not free"
    ~
    Path to Freedom (Chapter 7: Distinctive Culture) - Michael Collins, August 1922

Wow, like is that an extract from Identity Ireland!!!

Irish nationalists have always believed that politics is downstream of culture.

That's a Steve Bannon expression but it explains why itish nationalists never thought let's make the best go we can of fixing this union.

Yea Michael Collins was a fluent Irish speaker!! He prided himself I believe on being able to write his name in Irish!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment