Register to Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
Like Tree32Likes
  1. #1
    McTell McTell is offline
    McTell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,975
    Twitter
    @

    92nd anniversary of the biggest deal in Irish History

    A fantabulous anniversary of the Irish-Uk financial split in 1925.

    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...nion-1.3311186


    Signed on this day. If you like round numbers like 100th anniversary, you're out of luck. It's a 92nd on this thread, and if you have a unusual fixation about 92nd anniversaries, then this one's for you.

    Something to do with the border, and us not being able to pay some money, so we agreed that the 6 counties border was the same as it was in 1920, and nice Mr Baldwin said we didn't owe him any money at all, at all, and could buy some sweets on our way home. But we had to pay for all the damage we caused while we were winning the war of independence.

    Then a lot of people in the 6 counties were raging because they wanted to be in the Free State, but they didn't want to move to the Free State, they wanted the Free State to move to them.


    Paper /pdf by Sean Kenny and John FitzGerald, son of Garret the good, grandson of Desmond the probably just as good.


    'Till Debt Do Us Part': Financial Implications of the Divorce of the Irish Free State from the UK, 1922-6

    'Till Debt Do Us Part' - Lund University
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    parentheses parentheses is offline
    parentheses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    12,168

    Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    A fantabulous anniversary of the Irish-Uk financial split in 1925.

    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...nion-1.3311186


    Signed on this day. If you like round numbers like 100th anniversary, you're out of luck. It's a 92nd on this thread, and if you have a unusual fixation about 92nd anniversaries, then this one's for you.

    Something to do with the border, and us not being able to pay some money, so we agreed that the 6 counties border was the same as it was in 1920, and nice Mr Baldwin said we didn't owe him any money at all, at all, and could buy some sweets on our way home. But we had to pay for all the damage we caused while we were winning the war of independence.

    Then a lot of people in the 6 counties were raging because they wanted to be in the Free State, but they didn't want to move to the Free State, they wanted the Free State to move to them.


    Paper /pdf by Sean Kenny and John FitzGerald, son of Garret the good, grandson of Desmond the probably just as good.


    'Till Debt Do Us Part': Financial Implications of the Divorce of the Irish Free State from the UK, 1922-6

    'Till Debt Do Us Part' - Lund University

    But the British still demanded the land annuities
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Ferdia Ferdia is offline
    Ferdia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    260

    Essentially, Cosgrave and the Free Staters sold the 6 Counties to the Brits in return for a huge write down in the Free State's acceptance of a share of the UK national debt. F˙ckers made a balls of the whole thing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    between the bridges between the bridges is online now
    between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    40,665

    Loyal to the half crown...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Congalltee Congalltee is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,231

    Surely the biggest deal in Irish history was the with 6 banks for €440,000,000,000.00
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    hiding behind a poster hiding behind a poster is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    68,171

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdia View Post
    Essentially, Cosgrave and the Free Staters sold the 6 Counties to the Brits in return for a huge write down in the Free State's acceptance of a share of the UK national debt. F˙ckers made a balls of the whole thing.
    Any chance you might point out where in the article, or indeed anywhere else, it says that the 6 counties were on offer if Ireland accepted its share of the debt?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    hiding behind a poster hiding behind a poster is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    68,171

    Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    Surely the biggest deal in Irish history was the with 6 banks for €440,000,000,000.00
    There was no such deal. €440bn of liabilities were guaranteed, but ultimately only about 10% of that, at most, was ever required.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    Eire1976 Eire1976 is offline
    Eire1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13,982

    Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Loyal to the half crown...
    So they have that in common with Unionists then
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Eire1976 Eire1976 is offline
    Eire1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13,982

    Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Any chance you might point out where in the article, or indeed anywhere else, it says that the 6 counties were on offer if Ireland accepted its share of the debt?
    Craig was the one to bring the debt issue into the discussion. Clearly a bargaining tool
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    hiding behind a poster hiding behind a poster is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    68,171

    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    Craig was the one to bring the debt issue into the discussion. Clearly a bargaining tool
    Yeah but I doubt he ever offered the 6 counties?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment