Register to Comment
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 167
Like Tree50Likes
  1. #1
    making waves making waves is offline
    making waves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13,920

    7 November 1917 - Revolution in Russia - 100 years ago today

    (Seeing as Catalpast is going on a run of 'today in history' - this one deserves a mention)

    Today 100 years ago was one of the most momentous events in history - the Russian Revolution.

    A mass movement by the working class and the peasantry in Russia overthrew the Tsarist regime and created the first workers state. In response the monarchists in Russia and the imperialist powers of the West launched a counter-revolutionary invasion to overthrow the workers state, leading to the bloodiest civil war in human history.

    An important retrospective look at the Russian Revolution and its legacy today from the Socialist Party - The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The Living Legacy of the October Revolution
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Henry94. Henry94. is online now
    Henry94.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,757

    There is no doubt the revolution was justified and represented a moment of hope for the world. We can't shy away from the catastrophes that followed which have undermined the credibility of the left in the eyes of workers ever since. The Trotskyist parties can claim to have stood up against the abuses of power in the USSR and elsewhere but they haven't really come up with an alternative to the very flawed model of Democratic Centralism which was the cause of the abuses. The left needs to repudiate Lenin, not just Stalin.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Aristodemus Aristodemus is offline
    Aristodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,801

    Why was it called the October Revolution?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Catalpast Catalpast is online now
    Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,769

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    (Seeing as Catalpast is going on a run of 'today in history' - this one deserves a mention)

    Today 100 years ago was one of the most momentous events in history - the Russian Revolution.

    A mass movement by the working class and the peasantry in Russia overthrew the Tsarist regime and created the first workers state. In response the monarchists in Russia and the imperialist powers of the West launched a counter-revolutionary invasion to overthrow the workers state, leading to the bloodiest civil war in human history.

    An important retrospective look at the Russian Revolution and its legacy today from the Socialist Party - The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The Living Legacy of the October Revolution
    My Blog is devoted to Irish History

    But of course this was a momentous day in European and World History

    It ushered in one of the most brutal and tyrannous Regimes of the 20th century or indeed in the History of Mankind
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    paulp paulp is offline
    paulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,666

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    There is no doubt the revolution was justified and represented a moment of hope for the world. We can't shy away from the catastrophes that followed which have undermined the credibility of the left in the eyes of workers ever since. The Trotskyist parties can claim to have stood up against the abuses of power in the USSR and elsewhere but they haven't really come up with an alternative to the very flawed model of Democratic Centralism which was the cause of the abuses. The left needs to repudiate Lenin, not just Stalin.
    Justified? yes.
    Was it the right approach?
    Are they not still living with the consequences? (no democracy)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Trainwreck Trainwreck is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20,922

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    (Seeing as Catalpast is going on a run of 'today in history' - this one deserves a mention)

    Today 100 years ago was one of the most momentous events in history - the Russian Revolution.

    A mass movement by the working class and the peasantry in Russia overthrew the Tsarist regime and created the first workers state. In response the monarchists in Russia and the imperialist powers of the West launched a counter-revolutionary invasion to overthrow the workers state, leading to the bloodiest civil war in human history.

    An important retrospective look at the Russian Revolution and its legacy today from the Socialist Party - The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The legacy?


    100 million dead.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Catalpast Catalpast is online now
    Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,769

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    There is no doubt the revolution was justified and represented a moment of hope for the world. We can't shy away from the catastrophes that followed which have undermined the credibility of the left in the eyes of workers ever since. The Trotskyist parties can claim to have stood up against the abuses of power in the USSR and elsewhere but they haven't really come up with an alternative to the very flawed model of Democratic Centralism which was the cause of the abuses. The left needs to repudiate Lenin, not just Stalin.
    Trotsky was every bit as ruthless and murderous as Lenin or Stalin

    - he wouldn't have batted an eyelid at putting you up against a wall if you were against the Soviets

    - or even been suspected of such
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    razorblade razorblade is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,801

    Millions perished from the tyranny that followed but the left love that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    razorblade razorblade is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5,801

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Trotsky was every bit as ruthless and murderous as Lenin or Stalin

    - he wouldn't have batted an eyelid at putting you up against a wall if you were against the Soviets

    - or even been suspected of such
    The communists were brutal full stop in many cases even surpassing the nazis but the looney left don't seem to have a problem with them.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Catalpast Catalpast is online now
    Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,769

    This should be a day of Commemoration

    - and not Celebration.

    If the Soviet Union is the model that the self styled 'Socialist Party' wish to impose on Ireland

    - then please don't vote for them

    - because they clearly are not democrats
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment