Register to Comment
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    One of the greatest ar$e kickings of all time But the Brits are now trying to turn it into the 'glorious failure' like Singapore, Norway, Gallipoli, Battle of Balaclava No one deserved it better.
    Great to see the usual one trick pony Brit haters wading in on behalf of the Nazis and as usual snearing at the deaths of thousands of soldiers ,some of them no doubt Irishmen (traitors no doubt) embroiled in the battle against one of the greatest threats the world ever witnessed .
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    Great to see the usual one trick pony Brit haters wading in on behalf of the Nazis and as usual snearing at the deaths of thousands of soldiers ,some of them no doubt Irishmen (traitors no doubt) embroiled in the battle against one of the greatest threats the world ever witnessed .
    At least the Nazi's didn't exterminate a race of people, the Birts did with the Tasman aborigines, Brits invented the concentration camp too.

At least the Nazi's didn't exterminate a race of people, the Birts did with the Tasman aborigines, Brits invented the concentration camp too.
    A Shinner Hitlerphile.

Quelle surprise.

How is that you cannot open any thread dealing with a war involving the UK, but some moron will turn up whining about the Brits?

I even got one in a thread about the Japanese massacre in Nanking 1936.

Holocaust Denial seems to have become de rigeur among the extreme "patriots", even the variety who parrot "Of course the Jews got a raw deal, but we need more study .... blah blah blah ... "

The Tasmanians were indeed exterminated, but in the number stakes, even the patriots must be impressed by Hitler's and the Nazis' body count - fifteen million or more all told among Jews, Poles, gay community, anti-social elements, political prisoners, the mentally handicapped, Jehovah's Witnesses, Gypsies.... . I am sure they are envious. They would give their eye-teeth for the power to accomplish that.

Why must these sort of threads always have to lead down the same tired predictable path.
    Last edited by razorblade; 30th July 2017 at 06:17 PM.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the film. I saw the old one with John Mills and it dwelt mainly on the small boats and the human interest story attached to them. The reality of course is that it was a major defeat which was masterfully proclaimed as a plucky, brave nation standing up against a stronger opponent. The reality is that the German advance through France was so rapid that their forces at Dunkirk were running out of supplies which couldn't keep up with such a rate of speed. There was very little chance - well, none actually of the Germans invading England at the time, because the British Navy dominated the seas at the time and were much more powerful than the German navy. The idea of portraying it as everyone mucking in and helping the troops get home was a brilliant PR move and worked well to uplift the spirits of the British people. The vast majority of the troops were transported by large destroyers and other large vessels, of course, but the idea of a flotilla of fishing boats played better in the minds of the ordinary citizens. I like the actors in the new film, Tom Hardy - brilliant, Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh a great cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwannow View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the film. I saw the old one with John Mills and it dwelt mainly on the small boats and the human interest story attached to them. The reality of course is that it was a major defeat which was masterfully proclaimed as a plucky, brave nation standing up against a stronger opponent. The reality is that the German advance through France was so rapid that their forces at Dunkirk were running out of supplies which couldn't keep up with such a rate of speed. There was very little chance - well, none actually of the Germans invading England at the time, because the British Navy dominated the seas at the time and were much more powerful than the German navy. The idea of portraying it as everyone mucking in and helping the troops get home was a brilliant PR move and worked well to uplift the spirits of the British people. The vast majority of the troops were transported by large destroyers and other large vessels, of course, but the idea of a flotilla of fishing boats played better in the minds of the ordinary citizens. I like the actors in the new film, Tom Hardy - brilliant, Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh a great cast.
    The actors you mentioned were very good, but Mark Rylance was the pick of the cast in my opinion

Always good to see the Brits get a hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    The actors you mentioned were very good, but Mark Rylance was the pick of the cast in my opinion
    Yes I like him too - I thought he was excellent in Wolf Hall playing Thomas Cromwell. A very accomplished actor indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwannow View Post
    Yes I like him too - I thought he was excellent in Wolf Hall playing Thomas Cromwell. A very accomplished actor indeed.
    Amazing actor indeed.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment