Register to Comment
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 107
Like Tree77Likes
  1. #91
    PeaceGoalie PeaceGoalie is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,515

    Quote Originally Posted by Dearghoul View Post
    My question to you is this: What is it about the Limerick Hippy experience that gave rise to these gangland problems which haven't been replicated to the same extent even at Haight and Ashbury.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #92
    Dearghoul Dearghoul is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6,705

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza15 View Post
    Julie Birchall wrote an interesting piece on this subject a few years back.

    Two points I recall her making were that at Woodstock the military supplied food, water & medical supplies. Without the military Woodstock would have been a plague-pit.

    Secondly that if you look at the film of young white kids risking their necks alongside the civil rights marchers, they aren't hippies but in fact are clean-cut, all-American kids with short hair, shirts & ties.

    Birchall's angle was that the old hippies who now run Hollywood, music & liberal USA re-wrote history to make themselves look like the avant guard when they were mostly self-serving privileged wasters.
    Most of the civil rights marches predated long hair.

    It's probably these, that poor Julie refers to.

    I mean how could these guys have long hair before long hair was even introduced?

    Later these same fellers did let their hair hang down and became among other things, the feverish bats in Julies belfry.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #93
    PeaceGoalie PeaceGoalie is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,515

    Quote Originally Posted by Dearghoul View Post
    Most of the civil rights marches predated long hair.

    It's probably these, that poor Julie refers to.

    I mean how could these guys have long hair before long hair was even introduced?

    Later these same fellers did let their hair hang down and became among other things, the feverish bats in Julies belfry.
    I doubt it. The Berrigan brothers were big into civil rights and the USA's genocide campaign in Vietnam, Thee were no scruffy Murphys at Burntollet.
    Here is Eamonn McCvann imitating Art Garfunkel in the Bogside. Not quite Flower Power length. McCann has since abandoned the use of head hair as a reactionary affectation

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #94
    valamhic valamhic is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,436

    They are not dead, they morphed into the greens.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #95
    Dearghoul Dearghoul is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6,705

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceGoalie View Post
    I doubt it. The Berrigan brothers were big into civil rights and the USA's genocide campaign in Vietnam, Thee were no scruffy Murphys at Burntollet.
    Here is Eamonn McCvann imitating Art Garfunkel in the Bogside. Not quite Flower Power length. McCann has since abandoned the use of head hair as a reactionary affectation

    How right he is.

    At a certain age the follicles start sending up a pretty consistent manifesto concerned with long hair and bourgeois affectation.

    No, the first Civil rights marches were in the mid Fifties in the States.

    It's these early ones to which I think the bould Julie may be referring before adding one in her usual consumate manner, to one and getting a figure of 278, approximately.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #96
    Rural Rural is offline
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    29,103

    Quote Originally Posted by Sotired View Post
    As the other poster said.

    That really must have depended on where you lived back then.

    I grew up in the Northside suburbs of Dublin in the 60s, absorbing all of that great malarkey from my much older brothers and their friends.

    Ended up in a band in the last 10 years, after 30 years of different bands, playing Cream, Beatles, Jimi, The Animals, Stones, Doors, John Mayall, CSN, The Who, etc, where the bass player was one of my oldest brothers best mates from way back when, and who has been playing bass in bands like that since the late 60s.

    For fun.

    Peace and Love, like any movement, had one major flaw.

    People and their failings and their agendas.

    But the music was unbeatable.
    My post was just a bit tongue in cheek really.

    I'm from Dun Laoghaire, I was 7 in '69 and I made my First Communion in the temporary church there, the church had burnt down some years before. There were lots of beehive hairdos, mini skirts and the men were trying to look like James Dean. I remember Hippies in the '70s, the sister of a friend of mine was in a cult, which was cool.

    The young people in the US were being conscripted off to a place they didn't know, to a war they didn't understand, and they knew people who had come home missing limbs, out of their minds or in boxes.

    This is my favourite from that time:

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #97
    PeaceGoalie PeaceGoalie is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,515

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    My post was just a bit tongue in cheek really.

    I'm from Dun Laoghaire, I was 7 in '69 and I made my First Communion in the temporary church there, the church had burnt down some years before. There were lots of beehive hairdos, mini skirts and the men were trying to look like James Dean. I remember Hippies in the '70s, the sister of a friend of mine was in a cult, which was cool.

    The young people in the US were being conscripted off to a place they didn't know, to a war they didn't understand, and they knew people who had come home missing limbs, out of their minds or in boxes.

    This is my favourite from that time:
    Thiose USDA scum murdered one million Vietnamese and led the way for the Khmer Rouge to do their thing in Cambodia. Lots of things were happening then.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #98
    redneck redneck is offline
    redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,097

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceGoalie View Post
    Thiose USDA scum murdered one million Vietnamese and led the way for the Khmer Rouge to do their thing in Cambodia. Lots of things were happening then.
    I could quote statistics to you about Communist atrocities post World war 2. The Chinese Red purges, the ethnic cleansing post WW2 of 6 million German speakers, the Khmer Rouge which you mentioned above. Regarding Vietnam, it was the wrong place to make a stand against Communism in Asia. But the US Army did. And they probably saved the Philipines, Japan, India and Australia from a communist rebellion.
    If the US was so bad, why did the Australian army send regiments to fight in the 'Nam. Also the US Army lost 58,000 men and women dead, and a quarter of a million wounded, many permanently disabled. Fighting to save Asia and Europe from Communism as they saw it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #99
    redneck redneck is offline
    redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,097

    I did'nt support the US war effort in South Vietnam. But a lot of the soldiers there were Irish American. And once commited by the US government should not have been left to die the far away jungles.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #100
    PeaceGoalie PeaceGoalie is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,515

    Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    I could quote statistics to you about Communist atrocities post World war 2. The Chinese Red purges, the ethnic cleansing post WW2 of 6 million German speakers, the Khmer Rouge which you mentioned above. Regarding Vietnam, it was the wrong place to make a stand against Communism in Asia. But the US Army did. And they probably saved the Philipines, Japan, India and Australia from a communist rebellion.
    If the US was so bad, why did the Australian army send regiments to fight in the 'Nam. Also the US Army lost 58,000 men and women dead, and a quarter of a million wounded, many permanently disabled. Fighting to save Asia and Europe from Communism as they saw it.
    1. The only good American soldier is a dead American soldier.
    2. Communists = whataboutery
    3. The USA and SAS trained the Khemer Rouge and supported htem at the UN after the Vietnamee Army beat Pol Pot's lot.
    4. The USA invaded Vietnam to stop France reestablishing herself there. Thatr was the plan post 1945 but htye then supported the Frnech until they got their ar$es handsed to them at Dien Bien Phu.
    5. The USA invaded the Philippines in 1898 and hunted their leaders down like rabbits. The USMC, who are on a par with the SS, sang songs about mutilating their bodies.
    6. They turned children into prostitutes in Clark and Subic bases.
    7. Australia fought in Vietnam because they are mindless murderers. They entered WW2 because "Britain is at war and, as a consequence, so too is Australia".
    8. The USA invaded Vietnam and now Syria because they are criminal cretins.
    9. Our sympathjeis should be for the Vietnamese who suffered at the hands of thee pigs but sent them packing in the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    I did'nt support the US war effort in South Vietnam. But a lot of the soldiers there were Irish American. And once commited by the US government should not have been left to die the far away jungles.
    Irish or Irish Americans, they were mercenaries into killing "gooks".

    This man should be revered
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment