Register to Comment
Page 1 of 35 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

The wrong side of history - or PC gone MAD? Robert E Lee the latest to be torn down...

The powers that be in New Orleans USA have this week been pulling down statutes of famous Confederates in the city.

A statue of Gen Robert E Lee who commanded Confederate armies fighting the United States in the civil war, was taken down from atop a 60ft (18 meters)-high pedestal where it has been since 1884. It is the last monument removed by the city after a long and divisive battle over whether old South emblems represent racism or an honourable heritage.

TBH I think this is just plain dumb and worthy of the mind set of the more Looney fringe elements of the Taliban.

These men fought and well for what they believed in - the right of each American State to decide freely who it associated with and how it conducted its affairs.

That the CSA was an upholder of Slavery was of course wrong and reprehensible

- but it is a part of History now.

Tearing down History is never really a good idea...

If they really must then I hope these statues are given a new home....

Or do I hope for too much....?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ed-confederacy

PS George Washington was Slave Holder was he not - is he next on the Hit List?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Excellent news.

A slaver and one bringer of disaster among many to the American South is no longer commemorated as a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Excellent news.

A slaver and one bringer of disaster among many to the American South is no longer commemorated as a hero.
    He was one of the greatest Generals in American History!

He lost get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    The powers that be in New Orleans USA have this week been pulling down statutes of famous Confederates in the city.

A statue of Gen Robert E Lee who commanded Confederate armies fighting the United States in the civil war, was taken down from atop a 60ft (18 meters)-high pedestal where it has been since 1884. It is the last monument removed by the city after a long and divisive battle over whether old South emblems represent racism or an honourable heritage.

TBH I think this is just plain dumb and worthy of the mind set of the more Looney fringe elements of the Taliban.

These men fought and well for what they believed in - the right of each American State to decide freely who it associated with and how it conducted its affairs.

That the CSA was an upholder of Slavery was of course wrong and reprehensible

- but it is a part of History now.

Tearing down History is never really a good idea...

If they really must then I hope these statues are given a new home....

Or do I hope for too much....?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ed-confederacy

PS George Washington was Slave Holder was he not - is he next on the Hit List?
    George Washington commanded the armies of the Continental Congress in the War of INdependence that led to the birth of the United States.

Robert E Lee commanded the armies of the White Supremacist Confederate States of America, a negation of everything the United States stood for. In short, he was a traitor.

I do not see why the loyal US citizens of New Orleans should be forced to pass the statue of a traitor every day if here is a democratic decision made to remove it.

No more than the Irish should be forced to look at statues of Queen Victoria or Horatio Nelson in our capital city.
    Last edited by owedtojoy; 21st May 2017 at 02:02 PM.

I wouldn't be in favour of removing historical statues because of contemporary values (whether right or wrong) but at the end of the day, he led an army against the United States so it isn't surprising that the present day US citizens wish to remove a traitorous emblem.

New Orleans are also removing memorials to teh people who deprived black citizens of the vote and who violently opposed civil rights for ex-slaves.

Show their statues be retained as well?

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    A postscript to this thread [on teh Confederate flag.]

Despite "The Age of Trump" progress is being made putting the Confederacy and Segregation into true context as White Supremacist revolutions.

New Orleans removes a tribute to ‘the lost cause of the Confederacy’ — with snipers standing by

The Battle of Liberty Place monument, which honors members of the Crescent City White League who died trying to overthrow the New Orleans government after the Civil War, was the first of four statues linked to the Confederacy that are set to be torn down in New Orleans.

I thought that all the founding fathers were slave holders.

Another victory for the PC bedwetters I'm afraid.

I think they successfully lobbied to have a monument of the decalogue removed from a court house in Alabama 20 years ago. Apparently it violated the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    He was one of the greatest Generals in American History!

He wasnt, according to new analysis.

Robert E lee - not very good at his job.

there are statues of Lenin in the US, should they be pulled down?

Page 1 of 35 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment