Register to Comment
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Like Tree132Likes

Quote Originally Posted by automaticforthepeople View Post
    We'd have had a left right split in our politics on the same lines as in modern European countries.
    No we wouldn't. You vastly over estimate Dev's influence on the course of Irish history. In truth, there would have been a civil war with or without him, and the resulting split in SF would have happened also without him.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    It would probably have been a serious blow to irish separatist fundraising in the US. As an American citizen he had more street-cred with Americans perhaps than a non citizen. On the other hand the British knew that executing a US citizen risked the US doing the same to a UK citizen - a diplomatic headache they did no need when they were begging the US to get involved in WW1. The UK was also borrowing heavily from US banks to fund the war.
    tom clarke was a us citizen. rarely gets mentioned.

I see McCullagh has a the first volume of a bio out on the not so great man -

David McCullagh on Eamon de Valera: 'People tended either to love him or to loath him'

Ireland wouldn't be much different I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    I see McCullagh has a the first volume of a bio out on the not so great man -

David McCullagh on Eamon de Valera: 'People tended either to love him or to loath him'
    Must read that one day but I am wading through the tail end of TP Coogan's blockbuster on Dev Long Fellow: Long Shadow

He is very hard on the Man IMO - though I believe there is a family grudge at the back of it all there

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment