Register to Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Why not get miffed at the actions of a secret society like the IRB ? What did all those years of killings achieve that Home Rule wouldn't have , and would the Unionist opposition to Home Rule have actually descended into civil war, or would an accomodation have been reached ?
    Captain Hindsight to the rescue!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD66 View Post
    A small project to try to give a short summary of the War of Independence/ Tan War/ First Defence of the Republic/dastardly and cowardly Irish Rebellion/whatever.

The Irish War of Independence - A Brief overview

just interested in the reaction of people interested in the topic, what should have been left out, whay should have been in? Summarising events is tricky but necessary for history I think.
    Could be wrong but I think Seamus Robinson was commander of the Soloheadbeg ambush unit:

On the same day that the Dáil first met, two RIC constables were shot dead by Irish Volunteers under Dan Breen at Soloheadbeg in Tipperary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lain2016 View Post
    Could be wrong but I think Seamus Robinson was commander of the Soloheadbeg ambush unit:
    Actually I do believe you're right there, Lain.

Why not get miffed at the actions of a secret society like the IRB ? What did all those years of killings achieve that Home Rule wouldn't have , and would the Unionist opposition to Home Rule have actually descended into civil war, or would an accomodation have been reached ?
    Who was it said:

'I was really crap at history , I thought the IRB was the IRAs second team'...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD66 View Post
    A small project to try to give a short summary of the War of Independence/ Tan War/ First Defence of the Republic/dastardly and cowardly Irish Rebellion/whatever.

The Irish War of Independence - A Brief overview

just interested in the reaction of people interested in the topic, what should have been left out, whay should have been in? Summarising events is tricky but necessary for history I think.
    Pretty good summary - you use 'however' in two following paragraphs IIRC - I do it myself so just saying!

re

The memory of the War of Independence was tarnished by the subsequent civil war but it was openly celebrated up to the 1970s as marking the foundation of the Irish state. After the outbreak of the Northern Ireland conflict in 1969, public memory began to be more critical with more focus on the killing of civilians and the lack of democratic endorsement of the IRA campaign.

The 'Troubles' in the North began in 1968 [5 October] and not 1969

Firstly, the article says:
    two RIC constables were shot dead by Irish Volunteers under Dan Breen at Soloheadbeg
    It was actually Séamus Robinson who was the OC that day.

The article also doesn't refer to the boycott of the British judicial system, with much of the general populace instead sorting out their affairs in republican courts.

Besides for that, it is an excellent and well-summarised piece. If it was yourself who wrote it JohnD, then fair play to you.

Unionists killed Home Rule, and now you're trying to argue that they wanted to accomodate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Protestant/Catholic=Irish View Post
    Firstly, the article says:

It was actually Séamus Robinson who was the OC that day.

The article also doesn't refer to the boycott of the British judicial system, with much of the general populace instead sorting out their affairs in republican courts.

Besides for that, it is an excellent and well-summarised piece. If it was yourself who wrote it JohnD, then fair play to you.
    Thanks, yes me alright.

Re the courts;

At the same time, in the summer of 1920, Sinn Fein won local government elections across most of Ireland and took over functions of government from the state such as tax collection and law enforcement. In some places the RIC was replaced by Dáil Courts and Irish Republican police.

Quote Originally Posted by edifice. View Post
    Unionists killed Home Rule, and now you're trying to argue that they wanted to accomodate it?
    They agitated against it; they signed covenants ; they put a small army in the field, but they were never pout to the test because 1916 came in the middle of WW1. If it hadn't and Home Rule had been passed it's not beyond credence that a fairer system might have been worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by james5001 View Post
    Captain Hindsight to the rescue!
    Har de friggin' har har !!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment